Thread: The Hipster

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

I'm confused as hell.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

Epiphany

This would be an opportune moment to introduce Hipster Hitler.

MBTI
    XXFP

the hipster 'culture' is popular here in the mid-atlantic region of the east coast. like most things cultural, evidence of it can be found in NYC in my travels there (along with just about everything else) and in new england. it has some exposure in the southern states from what i've heard.

it's mostly a fashion thing, from what i can tell. i suppose it has some common themes, but most of the 'hipsters' who i have met are just really interested in fashion and staying with the current trends. which bores the crap out of me, but it didn't stop me from going to a "hipster themed" birthday party dressed in something ever so vaguely tight jeaned and flanneled and enjoying myself.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    If true, Hipster Kitty may want to consider renaming himself Hipster Cat.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    why is that the definition? okay i'm looking this shit up...i think i might be annoyed more by the people who put everyone in lil labeled boxes...i don't like the term emo or goth either. i think they all suck and it's just not a part of my world...i might think some things are funny or cool that some people in some group do but that in no way makes it appropriate to label me with one of those stupid titles.

and hipsters liking bad american beer doesn't even makes sense..i thought they were supposedly pretentious...maybe i'm misunderstanding...okay looking it up.

edit:
    okay...this is what urban dictionary says
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...&defid=2705928

seems like normal people to me. :/
    They are. They are pretentious but have a bizarre yen for Pabst Blue Ribbon in their most stereotypical form.

If you aren't going out of your way to make other people feel inferior for being as up-to-date on some "cool shit" as you are, you're probably not a hipster.

Usually when someone acts like they're taste is cooler than mine, I just cut to the chase, get my guitar, and ask if they want to jam. It's OK to have particular tastes and shit, but if you're going to be elitist or a snob, then be a snob about something you can do yourself. I love meeting people who can introduce me to new stuff, but I've never understood those who cross the line even further and act "arrogant" about other people's work.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

you just wouldn't understand.

*snarf*!

MBTI
    INTP

Something Witty

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

definitely a fashion kind of demographic. whatever williamsburg is currently disseminating. there's a musical canon. know your post-punk and potentially key new wave + no wave bands. be part of the "creative community" (using this pejoratively) in your local area (ie the incestuous network of blah blah blah blah). unlike jeff goldblum, don't forget your fucking mantra! also: hyperbole!

good impulses: be original (just not too/unfashionably original). follow your heart (when your heart is feeling like getting fresh). be interested in the arts and, if you live in a smarter, more densely urban + academic area, your continental philosophy (think post-structuralism). be open to alternative lifestyles and have at least a few friends who are if not switch hitters, at least gay. challenge the status quo!

the relationship with visual rhetoric and iconography is refreshing. most of my nt friends unfortunately are a little too high in the awesomeness scale to do the hipster thing. adult swim is not hipster (neither are viral videos of olsen twins movies on acid). i do know a lot of sps, not that there's anything wrong with that. buffalo exchange IS open to the public.

also, no sjs. they listen to eve 6 and staind. (trying to hold it together). poor bastards! their stylists don't even have tattoos! i have an elephant cuz i'm a young republican. why don't you just go ride your jet skis at your cabin, guy.

also, my avatar and the record it stands for is hipster gospel. sunday morning services from 40s and bluntz kid hangovers. we all sing along. especially to the slow sad trumpet laments! a funeral for our youth--wait arcade fire already did that and we buried the sovereign body! goodnight!