entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Because I like ostracizing myself.
    Oh, its
    You

MBTI
    INTP

I don't know, but I do know that I have seen enough skinny jeans, flannel shirts and Buddy Holly glasses lately to last me several lifetimes.
    Something Witty

Ginkgo

The embodiment of postmodernism. They reject any sort of idea simply on the grounds that it is an idea. How anyone could call themselves progressive and yet condemn themselves to such a state of regression is beyond me.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I don't know, but I do know that I have seen enough skinny jeans, flannel shirts and Buddy Holly glasses lately to last me several lifetimes.
    Chap shirts
    Straight/Baggy levis
    Buddy Holly glasses

Have I killed you yet?
    Oh, its
    You

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    The embodiment of postmodernism. They reject any sort of idea simply on the grounds that it is an idea. How anyone could call themselves progressive and yet condemn themselves to such a state of regression is beyond me.
    YES! You are like Linus figuring out the meaning of Christmas.

They are the first, and I pray last, subculture that is purely post-modern. And what a horrible, horrible thing that is.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    I would say your usual hipster is either an INFP or an ISFP. Most definitely not an NT. They pay too much attention to fashion. There's a lot of Se involved so I would say the stereotypical Hipster is ISFP or ESFP more than INFP.
    yeah this kind of like bohemian fundamentalism.

infps and infjs in particular seem really interested in exploring alternative lifestyles bc they don't fit in very easily by default in all but the most fortunate of circumstances. and hipster culture usually involves cultural innovations from geeky N types which then lose their luster when the american apparels and urban outfitters trickle down all the way to stinktown, nebraska.

there's also a basic growth in urban 20something disaffection, confusion, etc. participating in those markets, growing up there, spending significant time during college there, this kind of chaos gets into you and you have to deal with all these consuming questions that give you more freedom than you can possibly imagine choice-wise but which forces upon you difficult choices which require you to say no to huge portions of the world, your immense possibilities, the way your life can go, etc. the culture market in those places reflects this diversity and frustration. but it still follows the logic of the market, especially when innovations get picked up as trends and the signs of success, the freshness of various identities, etc get their shit published and move up the ladder for their 15.

in most cases, it's just another great social space for professional networkers to get kicks and coke problems.

i see a lot of esfp females and the explosively crazy/angry/mercurial istp 7w8 drama queen. some isfps, of course, an exorbitant number of 3w4s (estp, enfj, entp), some distant e5 culture geeks, enfps who kinda culturally slut it up so to speak, and some honest to goodness e4s who are searching for a space against which they can most effectively define themselves. in my shitty market there's not really enough $$$ (financial incentive, loosely defined) overlap for any entjs to take interest.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by the state i am in View Post
    enfps who kinda culturally slut it up so to speak
    HAHA yeah we do that. i could see being hipster for like a week, just to try it out.

oh but to actually add to the conversation, i know a pseudo-hipster ISFP, and besides her type it seems like INFJs and INFPs, maybe a few ISFJs too. the scene is definitely dominated by introverts on the whole. and the occasional ESFP.

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

I don't know what a hipster is exactly. I thought it was a sort of counterculture thing, you know with 'Stickinittotheman' and such, a rebel, where you do anything to go against mainstream culture regardless of it's value if you look at it objectively.

If that's what it means, then I'm pretty sure Stephen Hyde from that 70's show was a hipster, and I think he was ISTP. But maybe that's not what it means at all.

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    INTPs are hip like Daria and Bones. Which is to say, some will make everyone feel stupid.
    "Hipsters are the friends who sneer when you cop to liking Coldplay. They're the people who wear t-shirts silk-screened with quotes from movies you've never heard of and the only ones in America who still think Pabst Blue Ribbon is a good beer. They sport cowboy hats and berets and think Kanye West stole their sunglasses. Everything about them is exactingly constructed to give off the vibe that they just don't care." - Wikipedia

Once again, going on my previous idea of what hipsters are, I don't think Daria is really a hipster. She's cynical and misanthropic, but she doesn't seem to be the sort who just goes against things for the sake of it. She's too rational. She sees things and thinks "That makes no sense. It should be this way, which is more sensible and less superficial." I like Daria. I think she's what the hipster idea probably started out as and then got lost in proving their point.

BTW is Bones an INTP? I always thought she was a J.

There's quite a few different species within hipsterdom and certain personality types might match up better with one species than with another.

For example:

Th Expat

The Flower Child

The Yuppie

The Activist

The Artist

There a few other species out there as well.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it