First 89101112 Last

Thread: The Hipster

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    right...i wonder if some of you would label me as a hipster if you saw me...i'm not in the least snobish tho and i've never liked anything because someone else deemed it cool but i do like to see people dress with a sense of humor...i think it's awesome and it makes me laugh...you know what else i love is those japanese street kids that dress like club kids...i knew a lot of club kids in the early 90's and always loved going out and seeing all their different outfits....fashion should be fun i think.
    We're not saying there's an issue with whatever fashion you like, it's just the irritation that comes from the pretentious aspect which comes up a lot.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sherlock Holmes View Post
    We're not saying there's an issue with whatever fashion you like, it's just the irritation that comes from the pretentious aspect which comes up a lot.
    Exactly! Like I said I probably look like a hipster from afar, and if you go by the first definition on Urban Dictionary you could apply that to so many people in their 20's and 30's that it almost seems like a moot point.

HOWEVER, the distinction I make (and I know others also make) is the ridiculous snobbery - it's the attitude. My ex is the epitome of that "I know all about this, I knew before you, I have friends in the underground, therefore I am a superior being." In my mind this is the distinction between being just a liberal young person who likes indie culture and actually being a "hipster."

Well, that, and just being a total tool about it, like drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon just because everyone else does.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

well alright then...so you're not saying eeew they're all fashiony and hip..they suck. you're saying "hipsters" are people just trying to be like the cool kids?? haha no...i don't think i really get it..you mean...they're just pretentious little shits?
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

well alright then...so you're not saying eeew they're all fashiony and hip..they suck. you're saying "hipsters" are people just trying to be like the cool kids?? haha no...i don't think i really get it..you mean...they're just pretentious little shits?
    Yup.
    JiNe

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

okay..yeah my brain is wired weird i think because i can think not right things are funny..in that omg how can you really be that way kind of way..like it's surprising and amusing or something. my friend used to valet at the mall it cracked me up..just because to me it was so ridiculous. i didn't think of him negatively or anything..just thought it was a funny lil quirk.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

okay..yeah my brain is wired weird i think because i can think not right things are funny..in that omg how can you really be that way kind of way..like it's surprising and amusing or something. my friend used to valet at the mall it cracked me up..just because to me it was so ridiculous. i didn't think of him negatively or anything..just thought it was a funny lil quirk.
    WUT?
    JiNe

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

sorry...was it jumbled..i was just reflecting...on my funny friend who was somewhat pretentious...but it amused me...i think i was going to explain further how i can think certain behaviors can be funny to me in a completely detached way but didn't...nevermind sorry.
    -Jim Morrison

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Nothing makes me laugh quite like jeans that are tight at the ankles (being worn by a guy).

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

yeah i kinda hate skinny jeans...ughh...i don't laugh and point at those who wear them haha but yeah most of 80's fashion was pretty bad and it's worse regurgitated.
    -Jim Morrison

A window to the soul

luv skinny jeans. crazy cute with boots...

http://www.hipgirlie.com/wp-content/..._styles_01.jpg