• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Functions and MBTI types getting along

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I find matching interaction styles is more relevant than functions for me. I get along very well with other "chart-the course" people and tend to clash (typically) with "in-charge" people, while having the least in common with "behind-the-scenes" people.

I just saw your post and out of curiosity looked up the interaction styles chart.

Wow. Yes, I never quite understood it, but I get along best with every type that is "Behind the Scenes" [INTP, INFP, ISFJ, ISFP], one on one.

Which never quite made sense to me, about the ISFx types, due to the differences in perception and processing. But I just am very comfortable interacting with them.

More odd is that the next two types I work best with are probably ENFJ and ESTJ... both being "In Charge" types... [The ESTP and ENTJ types are much harder for me to actually connect/work with.]

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Wait a minute, I have been referring to Interaction Styles all over the place, and now that Random mentions it the lights come on for the forum?.....Well, it is a good system and as long as people start to take notice it's great.

marm

MBTI Type
INFP
Interaction Styles is the thing that finally made some sense of the Temperaments to me, but I still find Temperaments confusing.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Interaction Styles is the thing that finally made some sense of the Temperaments to me, but I still find Temperaments confusing.
How so Marmalade? I think what most do, in particularly ITPs and most likely IFPs, is to choose words instead of taking in the entire theme of a temperament. Yes you are going to see some of yourself in every temperament, as well as strongly disagree. The test that I have posted on a number of threads allows you to show how each affects you. Mine generally run: SP-NT-NF-SJ.

marm

MBTI Type
INFP
The temperaments never clicked for me. Partly, I couldn't wrap my head around Kiersey's using the MBTI letters in a way that made no sense in terms of MBTT. I couldn't fathom the theoretical meaning of his use of the letters this way. I've since realized it was mostly just a practical thing because the MBTT gave him a language to describe his observations.

Why doesn't ST, SF, NP, and NJ make just as much sense? I think they do, and I've seen a book that goes into these other ones. I think it would make more sense to group them as SJ, SP, NJ and NP; and as NF, NT, SF, and SP. The J in SJ is simply not equivalent to the T in NT.

What I came to understand is that MBTI letters were secondary to Kiersey's theory. He was fitting the letters as best as he could. I'm sure he was aware of the theoretical conflicts between the two systems when he first was developing his temperaments.

Anyways, when I saw Berens' interaction styles, it seemed to increase the probability that maybe Kiersey was onto something with how he used the letters. Berens filled in the gaps. Even so, I still don't fully understand temperaments. I like how temperaments and interaction styles correlate, but I still don't understand the underlying theory. I have Berens' book on interaction styles. I like her books because she organizes a lot of info for how thin the books are, but she doesn't provide as much explanation of theory as I'd prefer.

I'm slowly coming around. One of these days, it will probably all make sense to me.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
Why doesn't ST, SF, NP, and NJ make just as much sense? I think they do, and I've seen a book that goes into these other ones. I think it would make more sense to group them as SJ, SP, NJ and NP; and as NF, NT, SF, and SP. The J in SJ is simply not equivalent to the T in NT.
From what I understand, Keirsey started with the temperaments as they have been handed down through generations, in various forms, ever since antiquity. And then, as you said, he tried to "fit the letters as best as he could".

Ultimately, his theory is not about Jungian typology: it's about the temperaments.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
People, I would love to have some links to sites where I could read more about interaction styles. Or book recommendations, they would be great too! :)

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would say my comfort level of commuication is best when I am talking to somoene that uses wither Fi, Ni, or Ne as their dominant function. Ti and Te I can talk to, but need to keep in mind that certain subjects and ideas should be off limits in those discussions (ie, limit it to impersonal stuff). Si and Se I have not taken much time to understand and these persons can either be intriguing and fun to talk to or downright boring depending on the specific person (their secondary and tertiary functions are probably a factor in that). Fe is where I think I have the most discomfort. While I can understand some of the goals and reasonign of Fe and even display some aspects of it, I think its easiest for me to unintentionaly offend an Fe dominant simply by being myself and true to my values because my values override social norms if its somethign I feel strongly about.

For reference the last time I took a test that ranked functions, heres how my numbers looked (and it seems accurate enough to me).

Fi - 30, Ni - 28, Ne - 24, Ti - 23, Fe - 12, Si - 11, Se - 7, Te - 5

Regarding Interaction Styles.
Thats something I've read a little about a few times, but much like socionics and ennegram, have not put enough time and effort in to comfortably understand, but that won't stop me from commenting with a few self observations/analysis. :)

As an INFP, I should theoretically be a "behind the scenes" type, but reading the descriptions here, I think I am an odd mix of "get things going" and "behind the scenes". I like to come up with ideas and share them with others as a "get things going" type would do, but I like to do it in a "behind the scenes" way on an individual basis explaining why I think something is a good idea and discussing those ideas with others.

I think I can adapt to dealing with any of the types in a business environment as long as I know what the motivations of the person I'm dealing with are, but I'm probably most comfortable communicating with others who prefer "behind the scenes" or "get things done". I know I once stumbled on a chart that correlated interaction style with MBTI types, but I can't find it anymore. Gonna have to look around and see if there is antoher post on interaction styles around here so this doesn't get too derailed, but its one of those things that pops up, makes me curious for a couple hours then I tend to forget about it a day or two later...

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interaction Styles - This describes the interaction styles, and at the bottom of the page you see which MBTI types fit into each style.

I found it helpful when I was trying to figure out my type, because I thought originally that I was INTP, but I strongly prefer the chart the course interaction style.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
People, I would love to have some links to sites where I could read more about interaction styles. Or book recommendations, they would be great too! :)
I have been giving links all over this forum. If you see this style of writing in most people's post (underlined and usually mine are bolded as well), then you can bet it leads to a link, similar to my signature. I recently started a thread on this subject believing that determining ones type through temperament and interaction style is best suited for introverted types.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
The temperaments never clicked for me. Partly, I couldn't wrap my head around Kiersey's using the MBTI letters in a way that made no sense in terms of MBTT. I couldn't fathom the theoretical meaning of his use of the letters this way. I've since realized it was mostly just a practical thing because the MBTT gave him a language to describe his observations.
I have said for years on the forums that it was not necessary to use the codes. Keirsey, Berens and all theorists have their own titles. I think that they were attempting to use the familiarity of codes with people who may feel a bit overwhelmed by the theory itself.
I was attempting to locate an article that I had read some time back. I know I had posted it on INTPc while I was INTrPosr. In "Gifts Differing", Myers gives a very small acknowledgement of temperament, however she believed the two letter codes were ST, SF, NT, NF. The article argues that Keirsey's two letter codes makes no sense because there are no direct oppositions. Hence Myers theorists argue that under her theory you can see the direct opposition (SF-NT and NF-ST).
Anyways, when I saw Berens' interaction styles, it seemed to increase the probability that maybe Kiersey was onto something with how he used the letters. Berens filled in the gaps. Even so, I still don't fully understand temperaments. I like how temperaments and interaction styles correlate, but I still don't understand the underlying theory. I have Berens' book on interaction styles. I like her books because she organizes a lot of info for how thin the books are, but she doesn't provide as much explanation of theory as I'd prefer. I'm slowly coming around. One of these days, it will probably all make sense to me.
If we take Myers theory of the two letter codes, then it creates uniformity in the Interaction Style:

In Charge Types
ENTJ, ESTJ, ESFJ, ENFJ

Chart the Course Types
INTJ, ISTJ, ISFJ, INFJ

Get Things Going Types
ENTP, ESTP, ESFP, ENFP

Behind the Scenes Types
INTP, ISTP, ISFP, INFP

Instead the interaction styles are based on Keirsey