• 100%

4 40.00%

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default What Percentage of Speech Involves A Cognitive Function?

So, I got to wondering, how much speech or written words co we express that illustrate the actual use of a function or multiple functions.
    Last edited by highlander; 09-09-2010 at 09:33 PM.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    9, 5
    Socionics
    INTj

I think you can tell SO much about a person by their words, how they are placed, which words are used, how frequently, and what words they avoid. Also, you can pick up on inconsistencies in their usage.(pronouns changing after the 5th time used-therein lies a lie) I've studied this for a few long intense years, with great appreciation. I feel confident to predict a type by communication style. If a person is hiding something, and say they are only showing one side of themselves, usually to me, it's very apparent, and I can also see what they are leaving out, as well as what's being thrown in. Words are a map to the thoughts. I say 100.
    What is normal to one, is incomprehensible to another.

ALL anger in this world stems from a lack of control.

All of reality bows to the illusion of life and death.

garbage

Motivation and ideas probably involve more underlying processes.

One's database of words, of course, isn't populated solely by cognitive functions. There's no function explicitly for "street slang" or "Spanish."

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Moonstone3 View Post
    I think you can tell SO much about a person by their words, how they are placed, which words are used, how frequently, and what words they avoid. Also, you can pick up on inconsistencies in their usage.(pronouns changing after the 5th time used-therein lies a lie) I've studied this for a few long intense years, with great appreciation. I feel confident to predict a type by communication style. If a person is hiding something, and say they are only showing one side of themselves, usually to me, it's very apparent, and I can also see what they are leaving out, as well as what's being thrown in. Words are a map to the thoughts. I say 100.
    What if ones words are specifically chosen to express thoughts and such. You would be on even playing field with everyone else Maybe a little more confused as they are taken at face value by others and you are applying your logic.
    Im out, its been fun

Both zero and one hundred percent.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Obviously cognition is directly involved in most speech (with exceptions where people literally say something without thinking, which I think is less common than it may sound). However, I think it is difficult to determine exactly what functions are behind a person's speech, as there are many reasons a person may say something or hold a certain view. I think you can pick up on patterns with people and may be able to make a good guess at it though. It's very easy to get caught up in stereotyping what a type looks like (or sounds like), which is something most MBTI enthusiasts are guilty of at times.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

I think speech is a separate thing. Functions are paradigms, perceptions, archetypes. You can say you speak from them one hundred percent, you can say that you speak from them zero percent. Both are true.

Banned

Hang on, there's no 0% in this poll... *sad*