First 3456 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Finland...Austria...Japan........ISTJ hellholes!!!!!!!
    It was okay last time I went to Austria, but probably just because I can speak German - I actually managed to make some friends over a 2-week stay, something I had never been able to do before (when I wasn't comfortable with my German). They seem to be getting much more open as time passes by.

Scandinavia is definitely not introverted as a whole. You could make the case for Finland and Norway, but Sweden and Denmark (especially the latter) are all about DA PARTAYZ and being silly. Efficiency and resoluteness are crimes punishable by death as well.
    Meh. Try going out in Copenhagen in February, say on a Friday night. Then take a plane to Athens, do the same thing on Saturday. Perhaps they're more partayz then their scandy counterparts (still only when drunk), but they have a long way to go if they want to reach a "real" party atmosphere...
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Niaurus View Post
    This description of Finland makes me want even more to get to Scandinavia.

It's odd of Japan to be considered introverted. Where can one find solitude in a small region around 127,420,000 people?
    I think it's more along the lines of the culture being reserved. And aside from the major cities Japan is actually quite peaceful. The population is most dense around the cities but thins out significantly. Sort of like Mexico. Most Mexicans live around Mexico City and the country side is almost empty.
    George Bernard Shaw in cartoon form.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Niaurus
    It's odd of Japan to be considered introverted. Where can one find solitude in a small region around 127,420,000 people?
    actually, this makes me think of an interesting phenomenon that occurs on NY subways.

when you're on the subway, you really don't interact with other people around you. you might push up against one another, but you don't really talk or engage one another. and, most significantly, you do not make eye contact.

why?

because it's the only way to establish privacy when everyone is smushed together so ridiculously tightly.

i think NYC is kinda E in general overall otherwise, but it's a curious thing that happens. and about japan - yeah, it's pretty isolated in some places. and like finland, there's a more significant emphasis on nature and contemplation and self-restraint. i think those are I-ish elements too.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    i think NYC is kinda E in general overall otherwise, but it's a curious thing that happens. and about japan - yeah, it's pretty isolated in some places. and like finland, there's a more significant emphasis on nature and contemplation and self-restraint. i think those are I-ish elements too.
    Finns and Japanese seem to get along quite well too and appreciate each other's cultures. They have a similar ethic in terms of interior design and that sort of thing, and the Japanese are certainly very keen on the Finnish Moomins...

In London where I live there is a lovely Finnish cafe in the West End and whenever I've been there there are always some Japanese. As well as the Finnish/Scandinavian products there, you can even get Japanese beer, Asahi!
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Meh. Try going out in Copenhagen in February, say on a Friday night. Then take a plane to Athens, do the same thing on Saturday. Perhaps they're more partayz then their scandy counterparts (still only when drunk), but they have a long way to go if they want to reach a "real" party atmosphere...
    Everything is relative, I suppose. This "real" party atmosphere you're talking about is probably the reason all of Southern Europe is going down the gutter as we speak.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Weber View Post
    Everything is relative, I suppose. This "real" party atmosphere you're talking about is probably the reason all of Southern Europe is going down the gutter as we speak.
    Maybe (but improbably so) that's true, but we were discussing about which place has a great party atmosphere, and that's definitely not to be found in Scandinavia.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Maybe (but improbably so) that's true, but we were discussing about which place has a great party atmosphere, and that's definitely not to be found in Scandinavia.
    It's safe to say I disagree. Perhaps Southern Europe is extreme, but that has little bearing on the matter. Flexibility, flamboyance and frivolousness, in other words a lack of frigidity, have been core values in Danish society for many years, coming forth especially as a distancing from Germany and as a result of the '68 movement going berserk.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Weber View Post
    It's safe to say I disagree. Perhaps Southern Europe is extreme, but that has little bearing on the matter. Flexibility, flamboyance and frivolousness, in other words a lack of frigidity, have been core values in Danish society for many years, coming forth especially as a distancing from Germany and as a result of the '68 movement going berserk.
    Well the general approach - core values of a society towards the matter of "having fun" mean nothing, if streets are empty at night and people need to get drunk in order to have some fun. There's nothing extreme in Southern Europe, just more people going out at night.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Well the general approach - core values of a society towards the matter of "having fun" mean nothing, if streets are empty at night and people need to get drunk in order to have some fun. There's nothing extreme in Southern Europe, just more people going out at night.
    This is true. The peoples of the Mediterranean region are simply less inhibited and more moderate. The further north you go, the more you find inhibited/repressed societies (nothing to do with introversion,btw) who abuse alcohol as a result. You can even see this pattern within countries - like Britain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Well the general approach - core values of a society towards the matter of "having fun" mean nothing,
    Okaaaay... And here I thought we were discussing the general mentality of societies. What exactly were we discussing, then?

if streets are empty at night and people need to get drunk in order to have some fun.
    I'm not sure we're talking about the same Copenhagen here. Empty streets? I lived there for a year and never saw that. Have you ever been to the city for more than a quick holiday? Well, truth be told it sounds like you've never been there at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    The peoples of the Mediterranean region are simply less inhibited and more moderate.
    Inherent contradiction. Are you sure you're an INTP?
    The further north you go, the more you find inhibited/repressed societies (nothing to do with introversion,btw) who abuse alcohol as a result.
    Yes, there's a magic correlation between northernness and inhibition that has no exceptions. Oh wait, it must be the cold. Now it's scientifically proven.

You can even see this pattern within countries - like Britain.
    I seriously doubt that the Northern Irish drink any less than the Scottish.