User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Thoroughly explain why people behave the way they do or predict how exactly they'll behave.
    And that's exactly what people are trying to make it do rather than use it as a rough guideline that is in no way definite. But people see absolutes in it.
    George Bernard Shaw in cartoon form.

MBTI
    ENTP

The MBTI won't pass me my exams.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

there is nothing that MBTI cant do
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

It can't do any more than any adjective can.

So, pretty much everything.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

...So why are we here again?
    Oh, its
    You

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
    ...So why are we here again?
    Nobody expects the things they talk about to be able to do everything, and the discussions about limitations of our subject are just as crucial.

Also, the relationships/friendships/psychology threads are interesting and insightful

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

It can't account for pathologies. It can't account for the influence of culture and upbringing, although it often sheds some insight on how people will respond to these. It is less useful in predicting what people will do than in helping to understand why and how they are doing it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    It can't account for pathologies. It can't account for the influence of culture and upbringing, although it often sheds some insight on how people will respond to these. It is less useful in predicting what people will do than in helping to understand why and how they are doing it.
    I don't know... I think upbringing actually is a fairly big factor in what your type is.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    MBTI has been very effective for seventy years. Four million Americans do the MBTI test every year not counting the rest of us.

MBTI was invented by Mrs Briggs and her daughter Mrs Myers to fight WW II. And it has been so successful it has been adopted by the military/industrial complex for the last seventy years.

So MBTI can't be understood without understanding its context. And its context is a country that has been perpetually at war for seventy years.

And the flywheel of their whole economy is military spending.

So MBTI is part of shaping your personality rather than analysing, evaluating and integrating your personality.

From its very beginning MBTI has been part of the American war machine and remains part of the war machine today.
    Unless this is some inside joke I'm not aware of, I'm going to assume you're being serious. In which case, I entirely disagree with this; it's a totally needless application of your political beliefs to the discussion. Yes, Myers and Briggs developed the system to help society during WWII (I wouldn't say 'fight' it, exactly, personality inventories don't make for great weapons), but if anything Myers felt the whole World War resulted from people misunderstanding one another- which is precisely the opposite kind of philosophy the military-industrial complex would endorse.

Sure, MBTI is used by government and big businesses- and often misused for pigeonholing people instead of truly understanding them- but that isn't a limitation of typology. It's a limitation of society. Things like the Big 5- which separates people based on their good and bad qualities- would be much more related to some war machine. That said, none of that has anything to do with limitations.

MBTI describes how people develop and integrate in society brilliantly, just fine. I also think it's pretty good at predicting how people will behave, and certainly good at explaining their cognitive habits. Shit, their physical habits too.

What MBTI, or any personology system cannot do, is judge a person's moral character.
    "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."--George Carlin

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --Albert Einstein

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath Mania View Post
    Unless this is some inside joke I'm not aware of, I'm going to assume you're being serious. In which case, I entirely disagree with this; it's a totally needless application of your political beliefs to the discussion. Yes, Myers and Briggs developed the system to help society during WWII (I wouldn't say 'fight' it, exactly, personality inventories don't make for great weapons), but if anything Myers felt the whole World War resulted from people misunderstanding one another- which is precisely the opposite kind of philosophy the military-industrial complex would endorse.

Sure, MBTI is used by government and big businesses- and often misused for pigeonholing people instead of truly understanding them- but that isn't a limitation of typology. It's a limitation of society. Things like the Big 5- which separates people based on their good and bad qualities- would be much more related to some war machine. That said, none of that has anything to do with limitations.

MBTI describes how people develop and integrate in society brilliantly, just fine. I also think it's pretty good at predicting how people will behave, and certainly good at explaining their cognitive habits. Shit, their physical habits too.

What MBTI, or any personology system cannot do, is judge a person's moral character.
    There's no way round the simple fact that it claims to be a personality test and it's not.

So then the interesting question arises - what is it?

So we look at who created it and for what purpose. And we look at how it was created. And we look at who uses it today and for what purpose. And we look at its history.