• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How does one develop Fe?

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
How does one improve their "social graces" or desire to "connect" with others?

I find it's difficult because it feels so fake and insincere, almost like you're putting on a face.:sadbanana:

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Listen to people and try and gauge what it is they're seeking. A compliment? Recognition? Admiration? Belonging? Don't criticize them, just look to understand and master motivation.

Definitely read Games People Play. It's incredible. I wrote about here a bit in this thread and this one.

KDude

It's not the desire to connect in itself that would get you there, but the people themselves. If you can, find what you can appreciate and care about them. Maybe you won't be bubbling with "F behavior" or anything, but that's probably good enough :)

rowingineden

MBTI Type
iNfp
Enneagram
9w1
I don't know, I guess I just saw it as useful (to get what I want more) and learned how to do it a little over time.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How does one improve their "social graces" or desire to "connect" with others?

I find it's difficult because it feels so fake and insincere, almost like you're putting on a face.:sadbanana:

Stop trying to "connect" and just use "social grace". Its only fake and insincere to yourself, but its true and sincere to people around you.

An internal feeling of fake could be caused because you feel like you are misleading the other person or that when someone does it to you you feel like you are mislead. I am only saying this because others(not everyone, so lets just say 50% of the population) dont feel fake when they do it, so its something inside of you, though alot of others face this same "feeling fake and insincere" inside of them. Its just different between people.

If you focus on the connection then it will appear fake, but the other person is not focused on "connecting", but socializing with you so to them it is not fake.

G

garbage

send birthday cards for birthdays and condolences cards when someone is sick. and stay in contact with people you really don't care about. Call them constantly and get an update on how their dog is doing.

Actually,

Listen to people and try and gauge what it is they're seeking. A compliment? Recognition? Admiration? Belonging? Don't criticize them, just look to understand and master motivation.

Definitely read Games People Play. It's incredible. I wrote about here a bit in this thread and this one.

This. All of it. Including that book, because it's a neat look at human nature.

Most people aren't even aware of the 'games' that they and others play--they seem to be mostly subconscious conversations. Anything that sheds light on why people act the way they do--and what they really mean is always good.

Oh, and tap into your desire to connect with other people when it surfaces meaningfully. Don't bother to do so for any other reason--social niceties, obligation, etc.

AutumnReverie

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
My personal goal for this year is also to develop my Fe and actually try to connect to people. In the past, like you said, every time I tried it just made me uncomfortable or feel like I was being fake. But, this year, I'm going to try again.

I'll definitely read that "Games People Play" that you all linked to! :) I think the answer to the problem may just be that I need more practice -- the more I attempt to connect, the more comfortable I'll get with it, right?