User Tag List

MBTI
    EPIC

Default What functions/processes/types forget things more?

I just forgot my freakin' debit card in the ATM for the 3rd time in the 5 years I've had it. I do the transaction, press "No" for more transactions, and merrily go on my way leaving the card in there. Luckily no one came immediately after to claim it and the machine sucked it back in to be shipped to the main branch.

There have also been many times when I've gotten groceries, paid for them, and walked away, forgetting to bring them with me. The clerk has to tell me I forgot them.

Now, I can always remember a list of groceries and can tell you pretty accurately how a conversation went.

So, tell about your experiences and maybe relate it to MBTI as well.
    "I see you're drinking 1%. Is that because you think you're FAT? 'Cause you're not. You could be drinking whole milk if you wanted to."

Music listening habits

I can recall old memories, but my mind goes to lunch when it comes to explaining things in detail sometimes. Often, in trying to make a point to a friend, I might just compensate for my inability for a detailed argument and go for metaphor and analogies to get my position across. Maybe.

I also stink at taking detailed instructions. It's better if they're written down. That said, I'd hate being a waiter or something..even if they do write things down. Sounds like a nightmare. I always tip well because I know that job isn't fun.

I don't lose objects much, but I can lose vital information. Since you mentioned ATM cards, I was at the bank not too long ago, filled out a deposit form and put a part of my driver's license number as my account number. Then when the teller told me something was wrong, I couldn't recall my account number. I just stood there trying to remember out loud.. "Uhh..hmm.. 7! 2? 1.." I'm not sure why that happens sometimes.. Maybe I'm not eating right on those days. I'll use the same account number hundreds of times at a website and type it in automatically.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

There are numbers that I know in my hands that I can't recite. If I need to use the numbers, I key them right in, but if someone asks me "What's the so-and-so number?," I can't think of it to say it. Some kind of numerical nominal aphasia, I dunno. Also I don't remember street names of streets I routinely drive, which makes it hard to give directions.

MBTI
    EPIC

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I can recall old memories, but my mind goes to lunch when it comes to explaining things in detail sometimes. Often, in trying to make a point to a friend, I might just compensate for my inability for a detailed argument and go for metaphor and analogies to get my position across. Maybe.
    I do this, too, except I explain it in detail pretty well (I think) AND THEN give a metaphor just for good measure. I got this trait from my dad who uses a metaphor for everything, but I think mine more precisely match the situation I'm trying to convey where his have general commonalities.

I don't lose objects too much.. but can lose vital information. Since you mentioned ATM cards, I was at the bank not too long ago, filled out a deposit form and put a part of my driver's license number as my account number. Then when the teller told me something was wrong, I couldn't recall my account number.. I just stood there trying to remember out loud.. "Uhh..hmm.. 7! 2? 1.." I'm not sure why that happens sometimes.. Maybe I'm not eating right on those days. I'll use the same account number hundreds of times at a website and type it in automatically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    There are numbers that I know in my hands that I can't recite. If I need to use the numbers, I key them right in, but if someone asks me "What's the so-and-so number?," I can't think of it to say it. Some kind of numerical nominal aphasia, I dunno. Also I don't remember street names of streets I routinely drive, which makes it hard to give directions.
    I think the routine, automatic one, such as typing it or saying it in the same manner each time is subconscious, whereas having to think about it means you have to grab it from memory consciously and it is much more difficult. I find I have to imagine typing it out and then think of what numbers correspond to the keys I'm typing. It's like once something becomes automatic, you don't have to think of it anymore and you forget it for the purpose of conscious accessibility.
    "I see you're drinking 1%. Is that because you think you're FAT? 'Cause you're not. You could be drinking whole milk if you wanted to."

Music listening habits

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

I think Ps are more forgetful as to short term/constructive memory like losing keys. NPs more so things in the concrete world. SPs can be just so focused on something else in the environment that it detracts from other objects.

This is merely my speculation on the question.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    iNfp
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFp

Ne/P. What were we talking about? What was your name? Where AM I? It's basically like we've been smoking pot, and maybe we have, but we're like that anyway.
    "You get what you're given, it's all how you use it."
    Pink - "God is a DJ"

figsfiggyfigs

Story of my frakin' life my friend. Story of my life......

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Idec Sdawkminn View Post
    I just forgot my freakin' debit card in the ATM for the 3rd time in the 5 years I've had it. I do the transaction, press "No" for more transactions, and merrily go on my way leaving the card in there. Luckily no one came immediately after to claim it and the machine sucked it back in to be shipped to the main branch.

There have also been many times when I've gotten groceries, paid for them, and walked away, forgetting to bring them with me. The clerk has to tell me I forgot them.

Now, I can always remember a list of groceries and can tell you pretty accurately how a conversation went.

So, tell about your experiences and maybe relate it to MBTI as well.
    I've done similar things enough times to be able to write a book. I can be incredibly absent minded about such things.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne