User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram
    4w5

Default Introverts and Extroverts

Please forgive me if this question has been posted a million times already.

I am just curious as to how do extroverted people perceive introverts, and vice versa. I'm speaking in general, but if you want to give hypothetical situations with your answer feel free. I'm totally open for discussion on all aspects of this type of relationship or even views toward strangers that seem to be E or I in your opinion.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Tend to think that I people are spoiled with literature explicitly and implicity marketed or aimed at them, not as much of the same sort of consideration given over to E people. Maybe publishers think they dont read or struggle or something.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Well, an E recently said to me that Is are really into themselves. He said it in a way like, what's the point of being so into yourself.
    the shoheen ho of the wind of the west and the lulla lo of the soft sea billow - Alfred Graves

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

i used to think i was an introvert functionally i'm an extravert but i'm still a socially reserved one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark
    Maybe publishers think they dont read or struggle or something.

i think that there's a perception that it's "easier" to be an extravert. that it gives you immediate social graces, and it really doesn't. Fe might, but not just E. i agree that there's all this "introversion is SPECIAL!" literature but it seems like introverts would know that already, cause they seem to be into themselves. like, they already know they're worth their own time. not that Es don't ever know that too, i just think it can be easy for us to ignore ourselves sometimes.

edit: upon reflection i think functional order has more of an impact on ease of communication than I/E. like lady x says though, Is are kind of inherently interesting. i love Es and most of my friends happen to be E but the Is are more mysterious and call for greater probing

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

intrigued usually...like stumbling upon a hidden path covered by walls and trellises...just vague glimpses of what's inside...i want to explore and get lost in there...see what i see...
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Enneagram
    4w5

okay very interesting. Gerbah, I can totally agree with what your E friend said. It's a reality that kind of bites in my opinion. I don't want to be so self absorbed.

I agree skylights, this Intrv does see Estrv as more socially graceful and they also seem more at ease and comfortable all the time. I envy it, greatly. It's not a good thing to envy I know, but I can't help it. I wasn't aware that it could be easy for you all to ignore yourselves sometimes. Is that a general E thing or maybe it's the E and Fe you mentioned? Some Es do seem into themselves as well, I wonder if thats because of other functions.
    Skylights and Lady x, so what happens if you feel like probing and are interested only to realize that you won't get anywhere doing so with an I? What if you do and you find that nothing is there that is really that interesting or deep?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by HighwayChild View Post
    Skylights and Lady x, so what happens if you feel like probing and are interested only to realize that you won't get anywhere doing so with an I? What if you do and you find that nothing is there that is really that interesting or deep?
    I am an introvert but I feel that way sometimes too with other introverts who are somehow very interesting to me. Probing doesn't seem to get me anywhere though, and if a natural rapport doesn't develop after a short while I am too exhausted to carry on probing and feel uncomfortable and too exposed sharing things about myself but not getting something similar in return. Maybe extroverts don't get so tired though and like the challenge?
    the shoheen ho of the wind of the west and the lulla lo of the soft sea billow - Alfred Graves

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    i used to think i was an introvert functionally i'm an extravert but i'm still a socially reserved one.

i think that there's a perception that it's "easier" to be an extravert. that it gives you immediate social graces, and it really doesn't. Fe might, but not just E. i agree that there's all this "introversion is SPECIAL!" literature but it seems like introverts would know that already, cause they seem to be into themselves. like, they already know they're worth their own time. not that Es don't ever know that too, i just think it can be easy for us to ignore ourselves sometimes.

edit: upon reflection i think functional order has more of an impact on ease of communication than I/E. like lady x says though, Is are kind of inherently interesting. i love Es and most of my friends happen to be E but the Is are more mysterious and call for greater probing
    I find this interesting because of the whole social reserved E point, the thing is that I believe there are gradations of sociability whether you are E or I and that the whole I is someone who finds others exhausting explanation is simplistic, I'm definitely E, wish I was less so but I find people exhausting, particularly if they are draining individuals.

Depends. I mostly know ES** as far as extroverts go. Some EPs I know are flighty in the stereotypical sense. Which is a plus to be involved in what's happening around you, and a minus because neither I and some I know don't always trust what some say anymore. I really don't know what the extent of the friendship is. On the flipside, they would accuse me of overthinking and not having enough fun. Which may be true from some angle.

As for EJ, they get more done, but some seem to sweat the small stuff or other people too much. I end up suggesting that they look at the big picture of things to help them sort it out, and it isn't easy for them to be calm without the outside being situated first. They can't just easily say "I'm not going to worry about that." Or, "I don't care what they think." On the flipside, I probably say those too much.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

hmmm...I don't think it's that simple as what do extroverts and introverts think of one another...I think I'm something of an ambivert I can't decide if I'm E or I...I know that I frequently wish that ESxx would STFU and leave me alone, but that INTx are generally sooo much more introverted than I could possibly ever imagine being, I can't fathom being that withdrawn from other people, and I wonder what it's like to be an extreme introvert. Maybe that means I'm just an ENFP, but sometimes I suspect I'm an introvert.