• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Birth Order and J vs P

What is your birth order and J/P level?

• Total voters

statuesquechica

MBTI Type
INFj
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would agree there are probably more variables to consider than just birth order. I am second to youngest of six siblings and am j/p while my little sister is a definite J (eight years difference between us). I helped raise my little sister after my mother's death so that may have pushed me more towards the J spectrum. Interesting theory.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Oldest brother - J
Me - j
Younger brother - x (dunno about him)
Youngest bother - p

Galusha

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7?
Older brother: definite INFP (so, P)
Me: J

also, for my mother's family:
1st child: INTP
2nd: ESTJ
3rd: ENFj
4th: ESTp

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'm not the technical oldest, but I am the oldest for a long time, so I voted O, and p, where my P is weak and close to J.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Me, Oldest, ENFP

Younger sister, INFP

Youngest Sister, ENFJ

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
dad enfp, mom infj, oldest enfp. middle isfj, me enfp

Synthetic Darkness

Hmm I don't really see this pattern in my family...

Mother: INFJ
Father: eNFP

Older Brother: INFP
Me: ENtP
Younger Brother: InTJ
Youngest Brother ENfj

If anything we started off perciving and ended off judging? My youngest brother is too hard to tell though because he's still very young.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
The poll conclusively shows that Ps vote more.

Mine is,

Mother: INFJ
Father: INTP

Older Sister: ISTP
Me: ENFP
Younger Sister: ISFP

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
There ain't room for two makers of excessively complex polls in this town...

Brother INTJ - 23y BIG J
I am the younger brother, 21y ENFP - Very strong P, (or one could say "Very extreme lack of J")

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
My parents were both oldest and they both seem to be Js. I'm the oldest child and a huge P. I did turn out to be perfectionistic to an extent, but I think that also had to do with my artistic tendencies. I'm not near as perfectionistic as I used to be.

My brother is five years younger and an SP I'm pretty sure but he acts alot older than I do. He's always consulted my parents about everything, is big on family values and is perfectionistic but also kinda messy. He might have a little J in him, I think.

1AuroraAngel1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Me: INFP
Younger Sister (by 3 years): eSTj

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
in birth order:

ENFP (me) - strong P
ISFJ - strong J
ISTJ - moderate J

Last edited:

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm an only child and I'm pretty P. Both of my parents are pretty strong Js (ENFJ and ISTJ).

With my family friends, it goes:

Oldest: ISTJ
Middle: ISFJ
Youngest: ESFP

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Me: ENTP, extreme P. Oldest.

Sister: Probable INFP. 9+ years younger.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Im oldest, a P and my youngest sister is such an SJ she used to fold socks and balance my ESFP mom's checkbook when she was little (this is not a joke)...we all teased her for being the family prude in her teens and she absolutely babysits my family, if she wasn't so smart and so cool she'd be a textbook ESFJ and I even admittedly thought she was ENFJ until she started identifying with SJ types and NTP herself.

I don't think birth order has Jack shit to do with this. When I was born I was still the baby, I had three older cousins and a teenager uncle, and my grandfather favored me, so I was in many ways treated like an only or a younger, when I got older though I think I took on more oldest child traits though like being independent and wanting to work and being bossy, but my youngest sister is probably the biggest control freak.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
In before anyone says my sister sounds like the adult child of an alcoholic. My mom isn't an alcoholic I don't think, but as insanely ESFP that is allowed without involving mental hospitals, the police or social services. Had the good sense to leave my dad and involve extended family. Interestingly my ISTJ grandfather was the alcoholic when my ESFP mom was little (quit drinking before I was born) and it simply made her hardy and accepting of reality, she would react the least of she and my aunt and uncle.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm the elder sibling and a moderate P. My brother is the younger and is also a moderate P. Our parents are a strong J and a moderate P.

I do not think that birth order and type are particularly correlated. However, I do think birth order may have mitigating influence, with older birth order tending to require more J-ness and younger birth order tending to encourage more... Well, you know.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oldest to youngest:

INJ (but appeared very faux-P for a long time due to mental illness) > ISFJ (most behaviorally obvious J, perhaps due to SJ) > ISFP

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think birth order has Jack shit to do with this. When I was born I was still the baby, I had three older cousins and a teenager uncle, and my grandfather favored me, so I was in many ways treated like an only or a younger, when I got older though I think I took on more oldest child traits though like being independent and wanting to work and being bossy, but my youngest sister is probably the biggest control freak.
This interests me because I never really felt or behaved like the oldest child even though I was...often I felt younger inside, or like some "other" out of the order entirely (enneagram would explain the latter). Granted, I was insanely strict with myself, but not otherwise or outwardly a person of any authority. Honestly, it probably just comes down to my being unhealthy as a young one and not giving a fuck about anyone or anything but my own problems. Ugh, even if I live as a saint for the rest of my life, I'll still feel sick about my past self when I'm 72...

Ironically, moving away from the family has had the biggest positive influence on me, allowing parts of me that were always there but wilted to come alive, and many fit the traditional elder profile quite well. It turns out I'm a reborn J! :blush:

It's just interesting how often birth order can encourage traits (I think it's a cultural thing), but sometimes another influence cuts in and the personalities of the kids fit a different profile than what birth order might have us assume.