• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Birth Order and J vs P

What is your birth order and J/P level?

• Total voters

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Is this theory of yours along the lines of descending-birth IQ? :)

sassafrassquatch

I'm the oldest, my brother and I are both ISTPs (at least I think he is) and my parents are ISTJs (they did the Keirsey sorter in PUM2). Being the oldest and having been raised by ISTJs I seem to have some ISTJ tendencies but I'm mostly ISTP. I prefer to avoid responsibility but if I get tagged with it I wouldn’t feel good about shirking it. My brother, however, just does whatever he wants whenever. Very irresponsible P. He’s also very stubborn. When we were little he liked pushing our parent’s buttons and no matter how much he was punished he would not give in. He was always throwing tantrums. I on the other hand, sometime very early, developed a pathological fear of getting in trouble.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I only have a younger half-brother (although his legs are indeed attached to his torso) on my mom's side, and I'm guessing he's an ISTP, or definitely Ti dominant, because he's analytical, nitpicky, an avid reader and knowledgeable about technical things, but he seems to be a more detail person -- interested in putting things together -- implying Se auxiliary.

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
May I ask why E = only and O = eldest?

Umm, in the Birth Order Book they're referred to as only and oldest children. They both had O's. I realized that Only could be replaced with exclusive and the problem was solved. No more effort had to be expended to solve the problem.

Dansker

MBTI Type
INTP
An interesting topic.

Eldest (me) - INTP. As a child I was expected to be quite J, and as such can "J it up" when required.
Youngest - iNfP. A definite P.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm the middle of 5, and it goes like this (oldest to youngest)

ESFP }
ENFP } very P
ENTP }
ESFJ - EXTREMELY J
ENFJ - moderately J

So... that kinda blows the theory... :blink:

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I've never put much thought into the eldest-youngest child theories, I guess cause I didn't really see it in real life.... And it always seemed like it was being pushed on me by youngest children- those status-quo-upsetting whippersnappers. ;)

heart

heart on fire
I'm the middle of 5, and it goes like this (oldest to youngest)

ESFP }
ENFP } very P
ENTP }
ESFJ - EXTREMELY J
ENFJ - moderately J

So... that kinda blows the theory... :blink:

In my family:

First child of my father-- P
Second child ---- J
Third child-- P

My mother's first born J

Ten years later:
Me P
:D

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Only child; J out the A.

("J out the A" and "P like a G" made me :rofl1:)

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
I'm the eldest and a pretty strong P...

We're like this:

me, 20, ENFP
younger sister, 18, ESFP
younger brother, 14, INFP

My brother is probably the most J out of all of us, but then not really by much.

My dad was an only child, ESTJ

Mother was in the middle of eight, ISFP (I couldn't begin to type her siblings)

tovlo

MBTI Type
INFJ
Shoot! My lack of detail orientedness has gotten me. I skimmed the op (but clearly did not read carefully) and in impatience to vote (just got done reading every single post to a 13 + page thread as well many more pages of contained linked threads and was by this time feeling antsy to actually participate somewhere) I thought I knew what was going on and so voted for Ej because clearly that was the proper option for a slightly expressed J type who was the eldest. Um...clearly...yeah. :blush:

Then I saw Oj on the list and thought, "hmmm...wonder what that's for?":huh:

So in the end I mis-voted. (if I can correct that somehow, let me know)

I am the Eldest, but not an Exclusive. My vote should have been Oj.

Sorry.

Additional details:

Oldest me: INFJ
Youngest brother: ISTP (likely)

Mom (was): InFP (youngest of three full siblings and middle of a whole flock of half siblings)
Dad: ESFj (likely) (youngest of five siblings)

marm

MBTI Type
INFP
I voted EP. I'm extremely Perceiving.

Youngest(me): INFP
Middle: ISTJ(probably)
Oldest: ENFP(probably)

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Only child; J out the A.

("J out the A" and "P like a G" made me :rofl1:)

Yes, but I'm slightly disappointed with the P like a G phrase. I just couldn't think of anything better.

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
What is it with you people and your need to think ELDEST? What is it with you people and your inability to read instructions? :nono:

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I think I can consider myself as the only child? My younger brother is like 7 years younger than me... so I pretty much grew up as an only child...

But if not... stick me under Oj rather than Ej then.

INTP: We INFs are not noted for our abilities to notice little details...

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
What is it with you people and your need to think ELDEST? What is it with you people and your inability to read instructions? :nono:

ok it actually make more since if O=only child and E=eldest. Who says their an exclusive child? No one. But people do say they are the eldest. so it actually makes sense that they'd think eldest.

that's the way I see it.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My uncle was an ISFP, eldest child.
My mother is an ESTJ, second child.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
mother J
father P

older sister P
me P
my husband P

My children
oldest P
next probably J
youngest I have no idea

So no order there.

I didn't vote because it looked complicated and I'm extremely lazy in reading instructions, so sorry about that!

Snail

MBTI Type
INFP
I didn't read the instructions on the poll because I never read the instructions for anything that already seems to make sense. After blindly clicking, I saw that it wasn't as simple as I assumed. Oops. I mis-voted because I thought E was for Eldest and O was for only, just like the others. I didn't notice I had messed up until I started reading the posts by others who had messed up. I skipped the directions even after I took the test and just moved directly to the interesting part where people talk about their families. I meant to vote OP instead of EP. It wouldn't let me undo it. Sorry.

I'm about as P as it gets, and my younger brother is only slightly p, almost bordering on j.