• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Birth Order and J vs P

What is your birth order and J/P level?

• Total voters

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
So I've been wondering if birth order has any effect on J/P. I have a straightforward sibling line up that goes:

Oldest ENTJ
Middle INTj (somewhat J)
Youngest INTP

If you notice the judging gets less and less as you decline in order, and I'm wondering how common this is. A lot of the oldest child description I read is consistent with J, and a lot of the youngest child description I read is consistent with P.

Sometimes birth order isn't so straight forward, though. To figure out where you fit in you need to consider some exceptions. If there's a gap of seven years or more, between siblings, it could end up causing a sort of new order.

1st Child 14 years
2nd Child 12 years
-----------------
3rd Child 5 years
4th Child 3 years

In the above situation you have a new order started, and the 2nd child would be more like a last born, and the third child would be a lot like a first born.

Another factor that can come into play is if a child is physically or mentally challenged. A friend from a while back was the younger brother of two, but in many ways he functioned like a first born because something was wrong with his older brother. I can't remember what it was, but this friend was always the smarter, more capable one. So, although he was younger, he began to function like an oldest child.

Death, multiple births, and adoption can also work to make the birth order issue more complicated.

So, if you're quite certain where you fit in the birth order line up, why don't you go ahead and vote in my poll. The following letters will represent your order:

E = only child (exclusive)
O = oldest
M = middle
Y = youngest

The following letters represent five levels of J/P.

J = J out the A
j = somewhat J... kinda questionable
x = not sure of J or P
p= somewhat p... kinda questionable
P = P like a G

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm an only child, and I seem to be strongly J. My mother seems to be a P. I don't know about the rest of my family.

heart

heart on fire
I am the youngest of five by about ten years. I was the only child my parents had together.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I'm the oldest of three, but our current ages are:

me (INFX)- 37
EXXJ brother- 31
ISTP brother- 16

My husband is a firstborn INTP with an ESFJ sister nine years younger than him.

My children are:
daughter (14)- INTj
daughter (13)- IXFP
son (11)- EXTX
son (9)- IXTP

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
for the longest time I thought my brother was a p but now I think he may actually be a j not a hundred % sure but the type he fits the best is ESTP but he could be ENTP or ENTJ I don't see him as a ESTJ but i could be wrong..

my dad who is the oldest in his family is defiently a p xtxp i suspect either intp or istp and my mom Iwhose the youngest in her's is defiently a j infj. Though I do think my dad's a N as neither one of my parents are that in touch with reality.

but the other night their was a conversation with my parents and we came to the conclusion that my brain and my dads brain is similar and my moms and brothers brain is similar but my mom and I are both Fs and my brother and dad are both Ts. Ok that second part wasn't talked about but that's what I've gather from my observations.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
May I ask why E = only and O = eldest? [smile.]

In any case I'm the elder of two daughters, both of us are Js.

My husband is a P, his two younger brothers are Js.

My son is a P, his younger sister is a J (four years apart).

Jae Rae

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am the eldest. I think I'm a P but I do have J tendencies at times...

My sisters, oldest to youngest (2-3 years between each of us):
IxFJ
IXXP
EXFP

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I'm the oldest of 8 (all from the same two parents) and I'm definitely a P, but I have enough J qualities that I'm able to function in the world reasonably well.

Me: ENXP
Sister (2 years younger): ESFJ
Sister (4 years younger): EXFP
Brother (7 years younger): ESXP (I think)
Brother (9 years younger): ESXP
Brother (11 years younger): ENFP
Brother (13 years younger): ESTJ
Brother (15 years younger): INTP

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
Older Brother = ?? He died when he was 4.
Myself = P
Younger brother = J

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oldest (*shudder* what a horrible term! :cry:)- ESTP
Youngest- ESFP

for my mom's sisters- the oldest 2 daughters were definitley Ps while the youngest 3 were Js

Dad's family- Every single one of them positively SCREAMS P- and all married Js! :laugh:

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Oldest (*shudder* what a horrible term! :cry:)- ESTP
Youngest- ESFP

You sure do use :cry: a lot. Are you sure you're a T type? :alttongue: I'm sorry if doubting your T makes want to :cry:

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Hmm, so this seems to be turning up a bunch of random results.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You sure do use :cry: a lot. Are you sure you're a T type? :alttongue: I'm sorry if doubting your T makes want to :cry:

:doh: not this question again! Yes! I'm a T- just a very expressive one- you can bet your life savings that you'd not see me cry in real life- or even hug anyone! :rofl1:

(as Dr. Reid said in Scrubs- "Yeah, I don't want anyone touching me unless we're gonna have sex and even then I don't want them to overdo it.")

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm an oldest J & my boyfriend's an oldest J. However, both of us grew up carrying a disproportionate amount of responsibility, so that may have contributed towards the J.

I'm the oldest of a single mother family, so I had to take the responsibility for my brother while my mother worked a couple jobs to pay the bills. My younger brother is a P. I am sure that factor contributed to the strong J as well as the strong auxillary Fe.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
May I ask why E = only and O = eldest? [smile.]

Yes! I.... accidently voted EP (only P), instead of OP (eldest P).:doh:

(My younger brother is also a P. Probably IsFP or esFP.)

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Half sister, eldest - ISTJ
Twin sister, identical, one minute ahead - ENFP
Me - eNFJ

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I forgot to mention the gender effect. If you have a male child followed by a female child, the female child will also take on some oldest child characteristics because she's the oldest female. She kinda gets to be in a league of her own for a lot of things.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
me oldest-infp
sister (2.5 years younger) ESFP
brother (6 years younger) ESTJ
sister (7 years younger) ENFP
Brother (10 years younger) ESTP
sister (16 years younger) EXFJ

Mostly Ps i guess. We are all very different kids, and i'm the only introvert, so you can see that i was driven crazy when we all lived in the same house.