• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How are you different from the typical representative of your type

Lark

I always hear the ENTJ being protrayed as The Golden Gecko from Wall Street, now my cognitive functions are E, N, T, J but I totally despise that stereotype, I also get mistaken for FJ sometimes because my training and career path involve developed F or contact with a lot of people who are F and, well, transference happens.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've never really been a self-sacrificial type. I'm really not one to put a crimp in my own life to prioritize the needs of random people. So I think I am more selfish and out for my own interests (or at the very least, an equal balance between my own needs and those of the other) than the stereotypical NFJ. The general exceptions would be romances or good friendships, when of course I really want to help out if the other needs help -- but I figure this is the case with pretty much everyone.

I would also say I'm less people-oriented/driven than most NFJ's (I really don't relate to the 'activist'/champion-of-cause role in infj descriptions, and I've never been the most charitable of sorts), such that I've often felt I'm a pretty even mix between INFJ and INTJ. And growing up, my interests were more in line with stereotypical INTJ stuff than INFJ stuff.

And.. I don't think I'm as emotionally sensitive/reactive as some NFJ's. But, maybe this has come over time.

I think a lot of this might have to do with 5w4 sp/so.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Let's see. Probably the biggest difference is I don't much like debating. NTPs are supposed to love frequent, endless debates and snark, and I often shy away from it. I like watching other people get snippy and sarcastic if I think it's deserved, but I can be hesitant to jump into the fray.

Yeah, I only like it if I know the "environment" is safe; if it's a mixed environment and/or the rules of engagement aren't clear, I'm hesitant. I can also get irritated or turned off if everything is always about sniping and snark, sometimes I just want to have some serious discussion.

I tend to be more patient and open to people who aren't that intellectual, or who hold common misconceptions on topics I'm knowledgeable about, or who say things that I think are just plain stupid. I can get pretty damn:doh:at times, but I still maintain hope that if I keep hanging around them I can eventually find something I can enjoy or relate to. I think it's because I've been isolated for a long time and I want to make any connections I can.

Yes, I have that tendency too. And maybe it is partly due to the last sentence... I grew up very isolated and even nowadays I don't like burning bridges; I usually come into a conversation looking for points of connection, not points of disagreement. Some other NTPs don't seem to have that inclination and don't mind burning bridges, whether purposeful or not.

I'm usually on time with appointments, deadlines, etc. if I think it's important. I don't mind 'conventional' style work or having to pay attention to detail.

That was an acquired skill for me. I don't think it's anti-NTP to be on time or focus on things that are considered important. I think where it comes out is in what things are considered important, or how one responds to things that they don't think are important but others do. (Some people will follow the rules even when they don't care, if they believe that rules in general are important.)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i don't know...i think i might use more fe than the average enfp and i'm not super extroverted.

G

garbage

I'm using some type descriptions stolen from Wikipedia, because it's hard to differentiate between myself and something that doesn't have a coherent definition.

ENFP
ENFPs are initiators of change, keenly perceptive of possibilities. They energize and stimulate others through their contagious enthusiasm. They prefer the start-up phase of a project or relationship, and are tireless in the pursuit of new-found interests. ENFPs are able to anticipate the needs of others and to offer them needed help and appreciation. They bring zest, joy, liveliness, and fun to all aspects of their lives. They are at their best in fluid situations that allow them to express their creativity and use their charisma. They tend to idealize people, and can be disappointed when reality fails to fulfill their expectations. They are easily frustrated if a project requires a great deal of follow-up or attention to detail.

Enthusiasm isn't really my thing; life is pretty serious business for me; and I'm a huge perfectionist

INFJ
INFJs are conscientious and value-driven. They seek meaning in relationships, ideas, and events, with an eye toward better understanding themselves and others. Using their intuitive skills, they develop a clear vision, which they then execute decisively to better the lives of others. Like their INTJ counterparts, INFJs regard problems as opportunities to design and implement creative solutions.

INFJs are quiet, private individuals who prefer to exercise their influence behind the scenes. Although very independent, INFJs are intensely interested in the well-being of others. INFJs prefer one-on-one relationships to large groups. Sensitive and complex, they are adept at understanding complicated issues and driven to resolve differences in a cooperative and creative manner.

INFJs have a rich, vivid inner life, which they may be reluctant to share with those around them. Nevertheless, they are congenial in their interactions, and perceptive of the emotions of others. Generally well-liked by their peers, they may often be considered close friends and confidants by most other types. However, they are guarded in expressing their own feelings, especially to new people, and so tend to establish close relationships slowly. INFJs tend to be easily hurt, though they may not reveal this except to their closest companions. INFJs may "silently withdraw as a way of setting limits", rather than expressing their wounded feelings—a behavior that may leave others confused and upset.

INFJs tend to be sensitive, quiet leaders with a great depth of personality. They are intricately and deeply woven, mysterious, and highly complex, sometimes puzzling even to themselves. They have an orderly view toward the world, but are internally arranged in a complex way that only they can understand. Abstract in communicating, they live in a world of hidden meanings and possibilities. With a natural affinity for art, INFJs tend to be creative and easily inspired. Yet they may also do well in the sciences, aided by their intuition.

INFJs have vivid imaginations exercised both as memory and intuition, and this can amount to genius, resulting at times in an INFJ being seen as mystical. This unfettered imagination often will enable this person to compose complex and often aesthetic works of art such as music, mathematical systems, poems, plays, and novels. In a sense, the INFJ is the most poetic of all the types. Just as the ENTJ must lead, so must an INFJ intuit; this capability extends to people, things, and often events, taking the form of visions, episodes of foreknowledge, premonitions, auditory and visual images of things to come. INFJs can have uncanny communications with certain individuals at a distance. It is an INFJ who is likely to have visions of human events past, present, or future. If a person demonstrates an ability to understand psychic phenomena better than most, this person is apt to be an INFJ. Characteristically, INFJs have strong empathic abilities and can be aware of another's emotions or intents even before that person is conscious of these.

INFJs make outstanding individual therapists who have the ability to get in touch with the archetypes of their patients in a way some other types do not. As therapists, INFJs may choose counseling, clinical psychology, or psychiatry, or may choose to teach in these fields. Writing about these professions often intrigues an INFJ.

I'm not a psychic

Also, to the extent that INFJs 'use Fe' in a stereotypical fashion, I also really don't give a damn about wishing people happy birthdays

Also, that INFJ description seems more positive than it 'should be'

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
While I am pretty witty (and according to my Johari people have noticed :tongue:), I'm not quite as quick-witted as most ENTPs IRL -- probably because I have a fairly strong Pi process (Si) in conflict with my dominant Ne, and my Ti is somewhat weak. Weak Ti is also apparent in the fact I have some trouble recognizing logical deductions.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
While I am pretty witty (and according to my Johari people have noticed :tongue:), I'm not quite as quick-witted as most ENTPs IRL -- probably because I have a fairly strong Pi process (Si) in conflict with my dominant Ne, and my Ti is somewhat weak. Weak Ti is also apparent in the fact I have some trouble recognizing logical deductions.
When did you go back to ENTP?

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm using some type descriptions stolen from Wikipedia, because it's hard to differentiate between myself and something that doesn't have a coherent definition.

ENFP
ENFPs are initiators of change, keenly perceptive of possibilities. They energize and stimulate others through their contagious enthusiasm. They prefer the start-up phase of a project or relationship, and are tireless in the pursuit of new-found interests. ENFPs are able to anticipate the needs of others and to offer them needed help and appreciation. They bring zest, joy, liveliness, and fun to all aspects of their lives. They are at their best in fluid situations that allow them to express their creativity and use their charisma. They tend to idealize people, and can be disappointed when reality fails to fulfill their expectations. They are easily frustrated if a project requires a great deal of follow-up or attention to detail.

Enthusiasm isn't really my thing; life is pretty serious business for me; and I'm a huge perfectionist

INFJ
INFJs are conscientious and value-driven. They seek meaning in relationships, ideas, and events, with an eye toward better understanding themselves and others. Using their intuitive skills, they develop a clear vision, which they then execute decisively to better the lives of others. Like their INTJ counterparts, INFJs regard problems as opportunities to design and implement creative solutions.

INFJs are quiet, private individuals who prefer to exercise their influence behind the scenes. Although very independent, INFJs are intensely interested in the well-being of others. INFJs prefer one-on-one relationships to large groups. Sensitive and complex, they are adept at understanding complicated issues and driven to resolve differences in a cooperative and creative manner.

INFJs have a rich, vivid inner life, which they may be reluctant to share with those around them. Nevertheless, they are congenial in their interactions, and perceptive of the emotions of others. Generally well-liked by their peers, they may often be considered close friends and confidants by most other types. However, they are guarded in expressing their own feelings, especially to new people, and so tend to establish close relationships slowly. INFJs tend to be easily hurt, though they may not reveal this except to their closest companions. INFJs may "silently withdraw as a way of setting limits", rather than expressing their wounded feelings—a behavior that may leave others confused and upset.

INFJs tend to be sensitive, quiet leaders with a great depth of personality. They are intricately and deeply woven, mysterious, and highly complex, sometimes puzzling even to themselves. They have an orderly view toward the world, but are internally arranged in a complex way that only they can understand. Abstract in communicating, they live in a world of hidden meanings and possibilities. With a natural affinity for art, INFJs tend to be creative and easily inspired. Yet they may also do well in the sciences, aided by their intuition.

INFJs have vivid imaginations exercised both as memory and intuition, and this can amount to genius, resulting at times in an INFJ being seen as mystical. This unfettered imagination often will enable this person to compose complex and often aesthetic works of art such as music, mathematical systems, poems, plays, and novels. In a sense, the INFJ is the most poetic of all the types. Just as the ENTJ must lead, so must an INFJ intuit; this capability extends to people, things, and often events, taking the form of visions, episodes of foreknowledge, premonitions, auditory and visual images of things to come. INFJs can have uncanny communications with certain individuals at a distance. It is an INFJ who is likely to have visions of human events past, present, or future. If a person demonstrates an ability to understand psychic phenomena better than most, this person is apt to be an INFJ. Characteristically, INFJs have strong empathic abilities and can be aware of another's emotions or intents even before that person is conscious of these.

INFJs make outstanding individual therapists who have the ability to get in touch with the archetypes of their patients in a way some other types do not. As therapists, INFJs may choose counseling, clinical psychology, or psychiatry, or may choose to teach in these fields. Writing about these professions often intrigues an INFJ.

I'm not a psychic

Also, to the extent that INFJs 'use Fe' in a stereotypical fashion, I also really don't give a damn about wishing people happy birthdays
Maybe you're an INTJ with a strong Fi?

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
A few weeks ago. My type hasn't changed though -- I've just been having trouble figuring myself out.
Yeah, I assumed you hadn't actually changed, but your understanding of yourself is changing.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not a psychic

The psychic thing is just dumb - at least the way some people latch onto it. It's even worse when INxJ's actually think they ARE psychic or that's the main reason they've decided they are the type. :doh:

Many stereotypical Fe behaviors actually have more to do with Si than anything; or at the very least, Si in conjunction with Fe.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I think I like to be nicer to others and considerate of the feelings of strangers than most of my type. And although I tend to be unconventional I do like to be liked (or impress others) not to the point of changing my lifestyle but enough to go though pains to avoid being obnoxious or otherwise standing out in a rude manner to strangers I will likely never see again.

I have a hard time at saying "No" to people I know.

I also believe in God (although I think there is also a fair amount of BS in the judeo-christian bibles)

P

Phantonym

Who's typical anyway? But let's see...I am definitely not selfless at all...or all that deep and complex...or with a "rich inner life"...or all that interested in deep or lengthy conversations...or warm...or caring...or any kind of an "activist"...or a "quiet leader"...or a "good listener"...definitely not a people person...or really all that interested in people in the first place...or all that sensitive and compassionate towards them...sure, they can be fascinating in small dosages and I hope that things go well for them but I find it easier when they don't turn to me for anything really...not all that empathetic or aware of others' emotions either...most definitely not any kind of mystical or psychic mumbo-jumbo going on here...but I am definitely good with money and the day-to-day practical stuff.

Does this mean that I'm human after all? :cheese: (Yeah, I don't really like the INFJ profile descriptions all that much. Sure, I can be all those things...somewhat (mostly appearing to be like that online) but most of the time, in "real life", I really don't feel that I am...I might just be faking the INFJ-ness.)

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I saw a thread like this on another forum. Thought it would be fun to do a similar one here.

I suppose compared to other INTPs I am somewhat more J like. It's the weakest preference of my four. I seem to care more about finishing what I start (I feel bad about projects that never get done), I'm neater (not really a good indicator of J/P anyway in my opinion), I take deadlines more seriously, and seem more reliable.

I am more F like in some ways. I tend to care more what others think (maybe this ties into E somewhat too) and I need some praise to know that I'm doing well. I also seem to be more concerned about harmony and disharmony seems to bother me more.

In some ways I'm more extraverted. I think I seek more external validation and I'm not as anti-group (just as long as the group has interests similar to my own). I probably know a larger number of people but I think like most INTPs, I have very few I'd truly consider good friends.

And in some ways I'm more S like. I often see myself as less creative and out of the box than other INTPs. I feel more conventional. Yet I score a solid N most of the time partly because I place a high value on creativity and out of the box thinking. I tend to be more literal too.

this is pretty much me, but im not very neat. this f harmony thing, im more concerned about the harmony inside me than in my surrounding, unless the disharmony in my surroundings has a direct effect on me and my internal harmony. E think is spot on. about that S thing, well my Se totally sucks(+ im little shortsighted and i dont use glasses or contact lenses). my Si however well its pretty strong but weird, i have a really good memory about what has happened and how they happened and i remember them with really good details, im not conventional at all tho. my Si can get me stuck on doing things in certain way(that i have noticed to be the best way using Ti + Ne) and i do this with really good accuracy, like when i get up ill bring my glass of water from the bedroom place it on the same table (if there is room in it), put the water to boil for tea, then i either go to toilet or open a computer and place the tea bag in the cup and basicly do everything exactly the way that i have founf is the best and most efficient. also my Si can stop me for moving on about things that i dont understand because it can give so detailed information(sometimes i might even remember details that i didnt pay attention at the time) to my Ti and my Ti wants to analyze them untill it figures them out..

I think I like to be nicer to others and considerate of the feelings of strangers than most of my type.

also this

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am probably more scientific/logical than the typical representation of the INFJ. It seems like the INFJ comes across as being the humanities person vs. INTJ is the science brain. I'm somewhere in between. While I have a vision for the future, I like to come up with a realistic strategy to achieve that end result, and recognize which goals can be achieved realistically. I can be hairsplitting and desire precision whenever someone is communicating information about how to do something. Whenever I am involved with something I feel a great deal of self-efficacy, I tend to be quite confident. I can be quite competitive in the classroom if I need to be. I tend to get a bit impatient with long lectures and prefer it if someone cut to the chase, illustrate the general ideas that are important to focus on, rather than extraneous detail that I can elaborate on my own time. Most people come to me not only for advice with personal issues, but more often for homework help. When involved with tutoring sessions, I tend to focus mainly on developing the student's knowledge over the content area and stick to business.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I am not organized
I am open to doing things differently, if it makes sense to do so
I get mistaken for an extravert a lot

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was just thinking there ought to be a thread like this.

Let's see. Probably the biggest difference is I don't much like debating. NTPs are supposed to love frequent, endless debates and snark, and I often shy away from it. I like watching other people get snippy and sarcastic if I think it's deserved, but I can be hesitant to jump into the fray.

I tend to be more patient and open to people who aren't that intellectual, or who hold common misconceptions on topics I'm knowledgeable about, or who say things that I think are just plain stupid. I can get pretty damn:doh:at times, but I still maintain hope that if I keep hanging around them I can eventually find something I can enjoy or relate to. I think it's because I've been isolated for a long time and I want to make any connections I can.

I'm usually on time with appointments, deadlines, etc. if I think it's important. I don't mind 'conventional' style work or having to pay attention to detail.

I identify with this too. I shy away from heated debates but I do enjoy a good discussion. I am usually patient with people less intelligent than myself. I want to help them achieve a higher level of understanding. I can be quite detail oriented, exhaustively thorough, and meticulous. But if I constantly had to pay attention to minute details, I think I'd bore of it quite quickly.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I am not gullible or naive. Also, I am not reserved and nonverbal. I am not capable of keeping my feelings to myself as I am so expressive. My weakest preference is "I," and my strongest preference is "P." I like logic games, such as sudoku, and I love to take things apart, just to see how they work. Also, I don't like bad grammar or misspelling, especially in things that have been published and have been known to stop reading a book because it is so poorly written.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i...

- love traditions

- am much more reserved

- don't move on quickly from relationships

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i...

- love traditions

- am much more reserved

- don't move on quickly from relationships
That reminds me... I'm more traditional and authoritarian than ENTPs usually are, mostly because I see practical value in traditional morality. I'm also somewhat fond of routines.