User Tag List

View Poll Results: How do you feel about tradition and custom?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • I follow customs and traditions as I want to please others

4 11.76%
  • I follow traditions and customs because they're there to be observed

0 0%
  • I just do whatever I feel like; if I do it I do it, if I don't I don't

13 38.24%
  • I follow traditions and customs only if they make sense to me

17 50.00%
12 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Default Traditions & Customs

Talk about traditions and customs.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Talk about traditions and customs.
    My attitude towards them is tolerance. As long as they seem to serve some function, make people happy, and/or don't cause much harm, I go along with them. I wouldn't follow a tradition that was wasteful or harmful to myself or others in any way unless I was legally forced to do so, though, and even then I would be looking for loopholes desperately.

I try to do things more traditionally around other people to get along with them, but I never really follow them for their own sake when I'm alone. To me, tradition is only as valuable as it serves to connect others, or keep certain ways of describing/doing things consistent over time. It isn't valuable in and of itself.

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

I tend to be of the belief that traditions and customs are there for a reason, that they've developed that way over time because of a practical, sensible reason. So I think it's presumptous to say, as some people do, that any traditions and customs are useless and old-fashioned.

Given, many are no longer very useful today, and in the near future will likely vanish altogether, but they have and do serve their purpose.
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ

I chose: "I just do whatever I feel like; if I do it I do it, if I don't I don't"
    This is the way I was in the first 25-30 years of my life.

I HATED doing something just because somebody ELSE said it was time to do it. I hated rituals because, in my opinion, people would just go through the motions without actually FEELING like doing whatever it was. I thought it was much better to buy a person a present or send them a card for NO PARTICULAR REASON AT ALL except that it was motivated by my care for that person. I wasn't forced to do it because it was Easter or Valentine's Day. I felt like a gift or card given to me just on the spur of the moment for no particular reason at all, was MUCH MORE valuable to me than someone giving me something because they felt obligated to because it was a particular holiday.

Now that I'm older, I can appreciate the value of organized holidays and such, and I can appreciate a gift even though it was given because it's demanded by a certain tradition or holiday. So my answer NOW would be different because I'm older, but I chose to give the INTJ answer.

But generally speaking, I HATE jumping through hoops. The more hoops I have to jump through, the more rituals I have to participate in, the sooner I am going to lose my mind, and go insane and possibly suicidal. I can stand it, but not for long.

I had a female ESTJ boss who came in, took over, and implemented ritual after useless, senseless, time-wasting, stupid ritual, and when I couldn't take it anymore, I quit, even though I really loved the job and it may have been the best one I ever had. And I couldn't stand her gossiping either. She would drone on for a half hour or more while I was supposed to be getting my work done, and when she was done, my stomach would be in a tight knot and feel like a rock.

Now I observe traditions because I know that's what I'm supposed to do to make the people in my life happy.

Not only that but in particular, family traditions, help give your children a sense of family identity, which family psychologists say is very important.

MBTI
    INFJ

I'm not really all the traditional, but I'll celebrate certain ones that mean something to me. In contrast, my ISFJ boyfriend decorates for and celebrates every single holiday (you should've seen Christmas!). He also remembers anniversaries that I don't remember and likes to do sweet little nostalgic things like revisit the place we met. I definitely appreciate those sort of traditions, but I wouldn't think to do them or even remember them without being prompted.

Fuck traditions, fuck customs, fuck culture.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I follow family traditions like visiting family for the holidays or going to grandmother's house on Sundays, but beyond that, I go my own way.

I guess I follow these traditions because I kinda get along with most of my family (on my father's side), which is generally close-knit, and because these customs offer the opportunity to get free food and to see my family, because with family, I'm able to make a fool of myself without getting arrested.

I do not follow traditions out of societal obligation, so you will not see me at a St. Patty's Day or Memorial Day parade unless there is something meaningful or useful to be extracted from it. Family is meaningful, food and gifts are useful.

Family traditions are different from social traditions in that family traditions tend to be meaningful and symbolic while social traditions (e.g. standing during the National Anthem) tend to exist merely as ritual.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    Fuck traditions, fuck customs, fuck culture.
    I quite agree. I still voted for "I do it to please others". Inside, I rage against the stupidity and inane sheephood of it all, but I do it anyway. It's the path of least resistance. I have never once produced any noticeable gain by describing the pointlessness of such things to those who hold them dear.

"How are you?"
    "Fine."

Grrrr...translation:

"I acknowledge your presence."
    "I acknowledge yours as well."
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I'm not really sure how I would vote.

My girlfriend is Jewish, I am not. But I observe Sabbath with her and go to temple with her on the weekends that I don't have my son. I am not sure if this means that I am observing these traditions to please her though, because I genuinely enjoy it. I think it is more the perception that it is "family time" that I enjoy so much, and being able to block out the world from sundown to sundown.

Something interesting for me to ponder though, thank you.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Rebelling against traditions can be pretty mindless, too.

However, I agree that most traditions are mindless, another example is rising before a judge. In theory, I don't rise before a judge unless I personally have respect for that judge. However, in practice, I will quite possibly rise before the judge because, under normal circumstances, I don't see any real reason not to, either. So there is a certain line of conformity that I have, too.

With that said, I think there is also quite a difference between traditionalism and patriotism. I remember a while back we were talking about whether patriotism was necessary or not, and I've become able to express in words my reasoning for why it is necessary. I do not think that conforming to tradition is patriotic. I think a true patriot is an idealist who is loyal to and wants what's best for their country. A traditionalist is just loyal to a tradition, never questioning the reason, just conforming because their friends conform. That's the way I look at it, anyway.