• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

New type calculator with explanations -- Calculate your type!

G

garbage

cool stuff

F vs. T -3
N vs. S -8
(F+T) vs. (N+S) 3
Fi vs. Fe 1
Ti vs. Te 2
Si vs. Se 4
Ni vs. Ne 0

gives INFJ/ENFP. Changing the Ni vs. Ne slider in one direction or the other nails it down.

It seems like you give much more weight to the dominant function than to the more inferior functions. Good. Please keep it that way, forever :)

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I like it.

I did it twice. The first time using the scales according to my own self knowledge. The second, I moved the scale taking my cognitive processes profile into account.

The first time I got ISTJ, the second INTJ ISTJ

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
For some reason I read this as "calculate your pet"

redacted

I think I found a small bug.

If I go all of these in their maxes

T+F -> T N -> Fi Ti Ne Si

It gives INTP or ISTP, even though ISTP should'nt come up at all, and if I lower the T+F from =-10 to -9. ISTP dissappears. So there seems to be a bug when you max out the slides somewhere.

Or am I wrong in my assumption? In reality I relate to somewhere in the center of the TF-SN slide though. Both sides come into play for me.

It's not a bug -- all my program does is look for the first most used function (in this case Ti), and try to distinguish between INTP and ISTP with Ne vs. Se. If Ne and Se are the same it can't choose.

Unless maybe I misunderstand you. If so, please explain since I for some reason can't decode what you're saying.

I got INTP....I'm not crazy about the T/F distinction. I think about truth a lot, but I am Fi-dom. In many ways, I relate much more to Ti than Fe, so lumping both Fs together often makes me test T.

I mean exactly that....Fi deals with truth plenty :D.

Um, Fi deals with truth zero by definition. I don't know how to distinguish better.

I'm not talking about Fi types here (INFP and ISFP). I'm not saying they use Thinking zero. I'm just saying the function itself has nothing to do with truth (except if you're using some weird value-based definition of truth).

I had the same issue.

I would have used: "F is about whether something is right or appropriate, T is about whether something is correct or implementable." [rather than "good", "true" and "feasible"]

Yeah those work well too. I feel 'feasible' really means the same thing as 'implementable' in this context, as do 'right' and 'good' and 'correct' and 'true'. If I didn't say appropriate, though, I should have. :)

Like an ESTJ who use Ne more than the other functions, which doesn't fit with the logic of functions.

Not sure I get what you mean. If you get ESTJ, what that means is your Te has the highest score and your Si is higher than Ni.

I think that's the definition of ESTJ. Isn't it?

This is just a thought, I'm not sure if it's valid, but it's a hunch. Like those who make connections with experiences, would still in this scales eyes be S even though the act of connecting experiences is seen more as Ne, which correlates with NP's though this person may prefer experiences more than ideas. Does this make sense?

If a person makes connections with experiences, they are using both S and N. Only in situations where one of the two is more prevalent is it even possible to distinguish a preference.

Unsurprisingly enough, I got INFJ, which means my results were accurate. I had trouble understanding what you meant with the T + F vs. N + S pair-off, though, and ended up just leaving it alone.

The reason I had to have that scale was that if I didn't, then S+N would always be exactly 50% of the total functions (as would T+F). That's not very often the case with individuals, so I had to include it.

If you go towards the N+S side, your S and N functions will go up and your T and F functions go down.

I guess the way to use it would be to (in your case), compare your Ni score to your Fe score. Slide the scale until you think they have the right ratio. The rest of the stuff will follow.

I'm impressed, but I have three concerns:
1. I didn't really follow the description of Ti and Fi you gave. 'good' doesn't make sense to me.

Can you be a bit more specific?

2. I think it needs some kind of guide to how far you should generally pull a scale. I used 1 2 or 3 to be weak, medium or strong respectively, other people seem to max it out or something, and I bet there are all sorts of other ways to do it. There's 21 different spots you can put the slider isn't there?

That's a really good idea. And yes, there are 21 spots.

3. Since it is done by displacing one scale relative to another, shouldn't the scales be placed one on top of the other? That way it would be clearer which you believe is highest or not.

I'm not sure what you mean...

The sliders are arranged vertically in terms of their change-power.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Evan said:
The reason I had to have that scale was that if I didn't, then S+N would always be exactly 50% of the total functions (as would T+F). That's not very often the case with individuals, so I had to include it.

If you go towards the N+S side, your S and N functions will go up and your T and F functions go down.

I guess the way to use it would be to (in your case), compare your Ni score to your Fe score. Slide the scale until you think they have the right ratio. The rest of the stuff will follow.
I understand why you had to put that scale on the calculator, I just had trouble interpreting the description you put below it. The only thing I can figure is that you're describing the difference between going with a gut reaction in an unquestioning sort of way as opposed to questioning your reactions and arriving at a more thought-out approach.

redacted

I understand why you had to put that scale on the calculator, I just had trouble interpreting the description you put below it. The only thing I can figure is that you're describing the difference between going with a gut reaction in an unquestioning sort of way as opposed to questioning your reactions and arriving at a more thought-out approach.

Well, yeah, I do admit that I was someone stuck when trying to describe that one.....

I said the only description I could think of for that scale...any other thoughts?

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Now I wonder what is the type of your pet.

Lol. He was an INTJ but he disappeared on Valentines Day. I hope he found a nice love and not a pack of hungry coyote. Sigh, I still miss my Macavity...:cry:

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, yeah, I do admit that I was someone stuck when trying to describe that one.....

I said the only description I could think of for that scale...any other thoughts?
I really don't have any thoughts on it beyond what I already mentioned. Maybe you would it find it helpful to create a topic on the subject and hear what people have to say about their sense of what it means to see the world through the eyes of a T/F- or N/S-dom. Whatever the case, you've done a good job on this calculator--it gave me and a lot of other people accurate results--so it's certainly not fatally flawed.

redacted

I updated it to list percentages for the scales instead of from -10 to 10. Changed a few descriptions. If you don't see a new site you may have to go here and refresh.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Um, Fi deals with truth zero by definition. I don't know how to distinguish better.

I'm not talking about Fi types here (INFP and ISFP). I'm not saying they use Thinking zero. I'm just saying the function itself has nothing to do with truth (except if you're using some weird value-based definition of truth).

I must be reading different definitions :rolli:
INFPs in particular are often noted to be questers for truth.

But hey, it's your test. You can leave it poorly written and have a bunch of Fi-doms test Ti or you can find a better, more accurate way to distinguish between F & T functions.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I updated it to list percentages for the scales instead of from -10 to 10. Changed a few descriptions. If you don't see a new site you may have to go here and refresh.

The newer definitions helped me clear out some of the issues I was having, so that's a good thing. The scale you used this time is much better as well. Though I suppose it might not hurt to try a -100 to 100 scale just so that more varied results can be given.

redacted

I must be reading different definitions :rolli:
INFPs in particular are often noted to be questers for truth.

But hey, it's your test. You can leave it poorly written and have a bunch of Fi-doms test Ti or you can find a better, more accurate way to distinguish between F & T functions.

Like I said, I wasn't talking about INFPs or ISFPs. I was talking about Feeling. Which is literally conscious value judgments. All conscious value judgments are Feeling. All conscious truth judgments are Thinking.

INFPs that are questers for truth are using T. There's no reason to think they wouldn't use T.

I use F all the time. That doesn't make Ti about value-judgments.

Your wording leads me to believe you are somehow angry at me for having this stance. Why? I literally said "I'm not talking about INFPs or ISFPs".

There's a huge difference between functions and type. The functions themselves are rigidly defined so you can use them as labels without running into tons of grey area. Type, on the other hand, is merely an abbreviation for a certain person's distribution of function usage. Totally different thing.

A person with balanced T and F is obviously described less well by choosing one or the other than a person with a strong preference. That's why I allowed my test to incorporate all possible function distributions and not make guesses unless the information is there. All it does is come up with the types consistent with the distribution.

If you don't understand the difference between functions and type, I'm sorry. But I will not rewrite my calculator with incorrect definitions to make you feel better.

Saying Fi is about truth is like saying Si is about making connections. It's just incorrect.

If you can provide definitions of your own that make more sense to me than the ones I have written, that'd be a different story (I already changed some wording because of constructive replies). But just stating that it's poorly written is not helpful.

I don't expect you to respond to this or even care what I'm saying. I'm just letting you know that this is the culmination of multiple years of obsessive studying, conversing, testing, and refining of my understanding of MBTI. Coding this has taken at least 20 hours. So forgive me if I'm insulted by your 2 minute reply with zero substance.

The newer definitions helped me clear out some of the issues I was having, so that's a good thing. The scale you used this time is much better as well. Though I suppose it might not hurt to try a -100 to 100 scale just so that more varied results can be given.

Are you saying you want smaller intervals on the scale? Like, instead of only having 21 choices between -100 and 100, having 201? I guess I could do that. But it makes me think -- how are you gonna distinguish between 33% and 34% on a scale? I'd rather leave fewer options because it makes me think they mean more.

Random Ness

Ni>Fe>Ne>Si>Fi>Ti>Se>Te

Ni, Fe, and Te are correct. The others could be. I'm not that interested in MBTI functions since it isn't that function-based...I prefer socionics for that.

N>F>S>T

Correct.

Cool calculator! :)