User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

In a balanced person, the functions play off of each other. Some overlapping concepts that I recall from different places that seem to represent a lack of balance:
    - One function excessively dominates a personality or, rather than being used as a compliment, the other functions become enslaved by it.
    - A person's auxiliary is not sufficiently developed to counterbalance the dominant function and/or the tertiary is overused.
    - The inferior function excessively erupts or dominates in someone's day to day life (see Quenk).
    - One or more of the shadow functions move into an area of prominence, usurping the auxiliary.

There was also a fascinating thread here about how unbalanced/unhealthy individual's Ennegram type (the defense mechanisms) overrides their MBTI type, which could indicate that somebody is out of balance.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...-relation.html

Finally, I think Case Study #3 in the the link in the following post gives a great example of somebody who is not balanced .

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...86-post34.html

Edit: But I am loathe to ever assign a label of being unhealthy because I think we all are in certain ways.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I see unhealthy as someone who has significant emotional problems which affect their thought process so that they can't be considered a reliable reflection of their type. I'm not sure if these people should be typed, but usually some part of their personality is recognizable as a type. In any case, they aren't the poster child for XXXX type.

I tend to see it as more of a scale.....which is why a generally healthy person can sometimes exhibit unhealthy behavior or attitudes.

I think it's interesting to consider how certain types tend to be unhealthy. There seem to be patterns in how people disintegrate.

Since I'm far from an expert on this, I use the term casually. Yes, I use it to avoid offending people, but also because I truly do not see that person as representative of a whole type, but possibly how that type may tend to "go bad".

More & more, I appreciate that MBTI focuses on the "normal" and "healthy" types. It emphasizes that differences in personalities is a positive thing, instead of focusing on the possible negative flaws which reinforce unfair bias against certain types.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I see unhealthy as someone who has significant emotional problems which affect their thought process so that they can't be considered a reliable reflection of their type. I'm not sure if these people should be typed, but usually some part of their personality is recognizable as a type. In any case, they aren't the poster child for XXXX type.

I tend to see it as more of a scale.....which is why a generally healthy person can sometimes exhibit unhealthy behavior or attitudes.

I think it's interesting to consider how certain types tend to be unhealthy. There seem to be patterns in how people disintegrate.

Since I'm far from an expert on this, I use the term casually. Yes, I use it to avoid offending people, but also because I truly do not see that person as representative of a whole type, but possibly how that type may tend to "go bad".

More & more, I appreciate that MBTI focuses on the "normal" and "healthy" types. It emphasizes that differences in personalities is a positive thing, instead of focusing on the possible negative flaws which reinforce unfair bias against certain types.
    I was thinking several of these exact things on the drive home tonight after I wrote the last post.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post

I really don't feel comfortable making/taking the desicion of describing what may or may not be healthy or unhealthy.
    Same here.

Unless you're some sort of professional dealing with an actual client/patient, then being comfortable with it = serious assholery, in my opinion.

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Wonkavision View Post
    Same here.

Unless you're some sort of professional dealing with an actual client/patient, then being comfortable with it = serious assholery, in my opinion.
    I think you might be missing the point of the OP. We're talking about functions and balance.

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Good link on Enneagram and different levels of "health"

Enneagram Levels of Development: Presentation at IEA Conference '04

Levels of Development Chart
    Healthy
    1 Level of Liberation: Ego Transcended — Balance & Freedom
    2 Level of Psychological Capacity: Ego is Identified with as the basis of a Particular Mode of Being
    3 Level of Social Gift: Ego Operating in a Constructive Way, Successfully Sublimating
    Average
    4 Level of Fixation: Losing Contact with Presence and Awareness, the Beginning of “Sleep” — as Ego-Role assumed
    5 Level of Interpersonal Conflict: Ego Controlling Environment to get its needs met — Manipulative & Defended
    6 Level of Overcompensation: Ego Inflation, Aggressive defense of Ego-Identity. Demanding that others/reality support the ego-agenda
    Unhealthy
    7 Level of Violation: Ego willing to violate self and others to maintain itself. Abusive, Devaluing, Desperate (Serious pathology arises)
    8 Level of Delusion and Compulsion: Ego-self out of Control and Out of Touch with Reality (Major Personality Disorders)
    9 Level of Pathological Destructiveness: Extreme Pathology or death (Psychosis)

Tri-type 639