User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    intp

Default Personality type and attitudes toward death and infinity

Many people say that they are afraid of or feel anxious about the idea of infinity or eternity (for example, an infinite universe). Many people also say that they are very much afraid of death. I don't recall ever being afraid of death or infinity as thoughts. On the contrary, these thoughts intrigue me. I have sometimes been afraid of death in situations where I think I'm dying on that instant but I have pretty much gotten over those fears.

I was wondering: does this have something to do with personality type? Or the eight functions? Are certain types more prone to fear death and infinity?

I'm not... afraid exactly. Not in exploring infinity or death in my thoughts. I can be afraid in situations when I lack any sense of control though. For instance, something as simple as being in the passenger seat of an idiotic driver's car. The smallest bump or near miss would make my mind jump into horrifying scenarios, like that movie Final Destination (seriously..). I also thought it was common sense to think this way, but other people in the car could be enjoying themselves.. There was one ocassion where I threatened a driver if he didn't either slow down or drop me off right there (not sure what I was going to do.. it's like being a hostage in that situation). I don't think it's just a fear of death though, so much as not wanting to be a victim of someone's stupidity. That's not a cool way to go out. I'll be a victim of my own stupidity, thank you very much!

I'm usually right though. The driver in that example, where I wanted to be dropped off, ended up flipping his car a week later, and almost dying. He did eventually die of something else though.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

hm, i dunno. i'm way more afraid of death - or more specifically, the possibility of finiteness - than i am of infinity. infinity does not scare me at all.

i guess Ne could be related though. i think everything is interesting and there always seems to be more things to do than i ever will have time for. i hardly have time to try things out, much less enjoy them fully for what they are. i can see living over and over again, as a marine biologist... skydiver... artist... musician... spy... princess... wanderer... the possibilities are endless.

Quote Originally Posted by KDude
    I don't think it's just a fear of death though, so much as not wanting to be a victim of someone's stupidity. That's not a cool way to go out. I'll be a victim of my own stupidity, thank you very much!
    lol! i feel the same way. i've made a tipsy driver get out and let me drive his car because we were on a mountain and i WAS NOT having any of that. he was concerned that i would hurt his stick shift car (learned years ago), whereas i was concerned he was going to THROW US OFF A CLIFF

Yeah, mountain roads aren't my idea of fun either. My grandparents (passed away now) lived in Washington state, and there were plenty of roads like that. I could barely stand letting my grandpa drive.. like, I'd be hunched up against the door, tense, silently playing out some worst case scenario in my head. Ugh...

On the flipside, I will be one of the first people to jump off of a cliff at a lake or something. I might just even swim to the middle of the lake and test how far I can go and come back without getting exhausted and drowning. Go figure.

Both infinity and death are impossible to comprehend, really, because we don't have any context for either.

That said, contemplating death makes me a little uneasy, because, well, I like existing, and there's no guarantee of anything when we die, we really take things on faith, I guess. I just don't like to think about death. Although a part of me is somewhat curious, I will be able to experience it soon enough, so I'd rather think about what I'm experiencing right now, I guess. We cannot control whether we are going to die or not, just when and how (to a certain extent, by living a healthy lifestyle and avoiding foolish decisions).

Kaveri, are you thinking of any type of correlations already, or are you waiting to see what people have to say and then see if you can draw some conclusion based on patterns of responses?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

I'm not scared of death.
    However, I'm scared of washroom bugs!!!

Cuz it's something that will happend one day, like its our destiny, and no need to fear it (Death, not bugs)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'm only scared of the pain that goes with. If death is anything like going unconscious then it won't matter because you won't care because everything will just end.

...but that DOES make me scared of not living life to the fullest or doing the things I want because of stupid insignificant raisins.

Throwing out an opinion of a nihilist INFJ.

Pondering infinity makes my brain hurt. But no it does not make me afraid.

As far as death, I'm more afraid of the afterlife, hell or of not existing anymore, than death itself.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Why does everyone presume infinity? What if death is over in an instant? What if nothingness doesn't involve human consciousness?

Perhaps death is simply absence. What might that mean?

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I never understood why people made crap up about the afterlife; like heaven and hell. The afterlife is probably some other dimension, so how a human could even comprehend it without being in ethereal form is beyond me.

But I do hope that there is one.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)