User Tag List

First 123 Last

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Perhaps death is simply absence. What might that mean?
    I like trying to digest this thought, it's quite strange, but I enjoy it. I don't mean to sound elitist, but if death is just nothingness then this life truly doesn't matter because you will not have known you existed at all.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Why does everyone presume infinity? What if death is over in an instant? What if nothingness doesn't involve human consciousness?
    because people are very scared. When someone you knows dies, isn't it comforting to think they are in a "better place", looking "down" at us, and are still reachable when we die and presently in our prayers?

I hope when someone close to me finally dies I will be able to deal with the possibility and default reality that they no longer exist.

Perhaps death is simply absence. What might that mean?
    my guess is that it wouldn't mean anything and that life probably doesn't either, as far as what we know now. Maybe if everyone thought that way our lifestyles would be a lot more chaotic and free.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

not disturbed any more by them than the table in the middle of the living room... they exist... so what?

interesting concepts, but there's a lot of other things that I think about more often... most of them are edible
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    I like trying to digest this thought, it's quite strange, but I enjoy it. I don't mean to sound elitist, but if death is just nothingness then this life truly doesn't matter because you will not have known you existed at all.
    Your actions and thoughts could live on for an eternity. There is no way of knowing the reach of even this post. How do I know how far it will reach? Your effect is a real thing too.

ReflecTcelfeR

You wouldn't realize you had these effects though, so I suppose for you (whoever that may be) it doesn't matter. This is to say that there is no after life. I get what you are saying though.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I'm not afraid of the death that comes out of a long and fulfilling life. I am afraid, a little, about a sudden, violent death before my time has come. I am regretful that I will not live to see humanity achieve its full potential, but immortality is a repugnant idea, if you really think about it. I do not think there is an afterlife, and honestly I would prefer it that way.

Banned

I want to live forever simply to watch the rise and or fall of future technology and hopefully the eradication of religion. Hoarding knowledge would be much more rewarding if you knew with certainty that it was forever. But when I die I will be happy knowing that it will make room for another human.

But whenever I watch movies like A.I, Up and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button for examples. They can make me feel a bit anxious at times though. They depict a whole life or an extensive period of time, so I can understand why some people fear infinity.

MBTI
    ENTP

I'm quite scared of death. Not what might lie behind it, but just the fact that life is over. I don't want to die yet because I want to finish my novel first and I want to finish my next novel too and the next and the next... I also want to learn how to repair cars and electricity and plumbing first. I want to get kids and raise them. There's so much I want to do, I can't do that in only 60-ish years I've left (and that's an optimistic estimate).
    Death is the ultimate deadline.

Infinity is awesome. Somebody I know is afraid of thinking about the universe because it's so big. And it still isn't infinite! I love to stretch my mind to very big things (universes) and very small ones (elementary particles) and try to get further. Most string theorists have problems with the "landscape", an infinite plethora of possible universes according to string theory. They would have liked the theory to predict a single universe, ours. I love the landscape. Infinite possibilities? Great! What if they all existed? What if ours is just one in an infinite bubblebath of universes, each with their own time and space and matter? Splendid isn't it! Never say again that science killed science fiction - you've got the whole landscape to populate with whatever universes your imagination can come up with.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post

hm, i dunno. i'm way more afraid of death - or more specifically, the possibility of finiteness - than i am of infinity. infinity does not scare me at all.

i guess Ne could be related though. i think everything is interesting and there always seems to be more things to do than i ever will have time for. i hardly have time to try things out, much less enjoy them fully for what they are. i can see living over and over again, as a marine biologist... skydiver... artist... musician... spy... princess... wanderer... the possibilities are endless.
    Same here.

Except for the princess part.

Or....

Well, actually that would be pretty interesting.

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!

MBTI
    GONE

I'm not afraid of death and have an element of fearlessness in me (coupled with lots and lots of anxiety). I think that may just be youth talking. And overall as a species humans, particularly in the developed world who are at least middle class have less fear of death simply because there is less threat of dying before old age. Also with modern medicine dying will at least not be as painful as it was 100 years ago. Infinity doesn't scare me, when I think of life or the world there is an element of forever, rhyme and reason, and cycles in there.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari