123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default Only one function can be in control of consciousness at a time

What does everyone think about this statement?

"Only one function can be in control of consciousness at any single point in time"

For example, I can't be reflecting (introverting) a function at the same time as I'm talkative (extraverting). So, I can't be using my dominant function at the same time as I'm using my auxiliary.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

I agree. We are a time-share. We can switch back and forth quite rapidly though.
    “Sheldon considers human beings as they really are - psycho-physical wholes.”

“the first serious advance of the science of man since Aristotle”

“For the first time the old insights and intuitions about the different kinds of human beings have been clarified and put on a firmly objective and measurable basis.”
    ___“Aldous Huxley/ A Biography” Sybille Bedford, 1974

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Hey Highlander.

My default answer to this is as follows.

I think all functions are on at all times.

It's just a matter of which one's we choose to use in signifcant part to process our thoughts, feelings, and actions.

In an organization of people, one person is in charge.

In the human mind, all of our cognitive processes are firing off as best they know how, and trying to influence our being. Some are just damn good at it compared to others in each of us, hence our cognitive preferences, and out MBTI types.

What are your thoughts on this matter?
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

“Every holistic activity of the organism has a tendency
    to be the only one present at a given time and to exclude
    all other acts. The organism cannot combine simultaneously
    two or three holistic activities.”

Anokhin, P.K. (1965), In: Russian monographs on brain and behavior no. 3. Orienting reflex and exploratory behavior. Ed. American Institute of Biological Sciences, Washington.

Capacities are available at all times. But when you are using one capacity it is foreground and the others are by necessity in the background.
    “Sheldon considers human beings as they really are - psycho-physical wholes.”

“the first serious advance of the science of man since Aristotle”

“For the first time the old insights and intuitions about the different kinds of human beings have been clarified and put on a firmly objective and measurable basis.”
    ___“Aldous Huxley/ A Biography” Sybille Bedford, 1974

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Hey Highlander.

My default answer to this is as follows.

I think all functions are on at all times.

It's just a matter of which one's we choose to use in signifcant part to process our thoughts, feelings, and actions.

In an organization of people, one person is in charge.

In the human mind, all of our cognitive processes are firing off as best they know how, and trying to influence our being. Some are just damn good at it compared to others in each of us, hence our cognitive preferences, and out MBTI types.

What are your thoughts on this matter?
    Could be. My analogy is that our brains are like a computer and cognitive functions are like processes with inputs and outputs. Do we have a single-threaded or multi-threaded operating system? My intuition says multi-threading seems more logical but with respect to functions, at least I can't be introverted intuiting the same time as I'm extraverted thinking or introverted feeling - at least consciously. My brain seems to work in a somewhat single threaded way. Maybe you can do multiple things at the same time but only one function can be conscious at a time. In either case, I think the switching can occur rapidly back and forth between functions. That is the theory I have made up anyway.

Some of the question is whether or not we have more than these 8 cognitive processes. There must be people who study the human brain who have a view on these things. We need some kind of neuro-scientist on here.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I think one takes the pilot seat, yes, but I do also believe that the others are helping with navigation, checking the systems etc. I know that when I get really high on my Ne-ing, I lose track of other peoples feelings and general mood. I hate it, it's like flying blind. But thats' what happens when I truly go for pattern seeking and knowledge gathering. However, if I reign that in just a *little bit*, I can check to see how they're feeling what kinda people they are as well as I can instantly bounce off the info I gather on *them* off of my Fi. Way better system.

I do however find that it's harder to have TeFi work in tandem like that..that one seems to be one or the other. TeSi however works...'how did I do that again? Damn..I don't remember..if I start like this, it makes sense that...ahhh right, that's how we did it!'

FiSi works grand as well..nostalgic trip down memory lane is an awesome blissfull feel and a reassessment of my past emotions to use better in the future.

NeTe works brilliantly as well, but I only do that when working alone as I become way too abrasive for others to be around. Also, Te can only keep up for a little while with Ne, before losing control.

Again, I think one is the pilot, but you always have a co-pilot or rather..I think you should, to keep the other in check and make for a balanced reaction to the situation.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

No.
    For the most part, you use both N/S along with T/F, depending on your function preference or type. They work together hand in hand for the most part, but then you have opposing N/S or T/F, which debate with each other. Say I'm using Ti to think out a plan Ne has concocted on enslaving humanity...a developed Fe would stop me(or would try to...) by saying that I shouldn't do that, since it wouldn't really be acceptable of myself and that I should work hard for what I want instead of enslaving others.
    They all work together in some way or another, some just have more influence than others.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post

"Only one function can be in control of consciousness at any single point in time"

For example, I can't be reflecting (introverting) a function at the same time as I'm talkative (extraverting). So, I can't be using my dominant function at the same time as I'm using my auxiliary.
    I've seen the functions drawn as a compass with the dominant orientation at top. You'd think that your ego orientation would remain stable. And that you'd use the auxiliary functions to support with and through your main orientation.

So awareness and focus would change but there would always be the main orientation of you as a person.

If the main conscious function did in fact change, wouldn't that in turn change your dominant orientation?

I don't feel you can say functions cause actions. I think that behaviours can be representative of functions. Because awareness causes people to focus and behave in certain ways.

This is a bit of a tangent but I am pretty sure I can introvert and talk at the same time. Just ask my wife, she catches me doing that.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Reminds me of that thread Wildcat started recently on "What is Now?". Seriously, I think you're going to have trouble pinning down what constitutes a "single point in time" precisely enough to make this proposition meaningful. Or is it going to be reliant on a speculative circular definition? : "A single point in time is postulated to be that period during which only one, and only one, cognitive function is in operation."

You see the problem here?
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

I think that most likely a minimum of two functions are used on any thought process; that is, one perceiving function (input), and one judging function (output), but likely only one is used at a time. Your ideas on the matter seem about right.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole