User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    For example, I can't be reflecting (introverting) a function at the same time as I'm talkative (extraverting). So, I can't be using my dominant function at the same time as I'm using my auxiliary.
    Maybe you're just bad at using your brain.
    Ever thought of that ?
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Maybe you're just bad at using your brain.
    Ever thought of that ?
    Crap. Maybe that's the problem. Some ENFPs I know seem to be able to do like 5 things at once.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Crap. Maybe that's the problem. Some ENFPs I know seem to be able to do like 5 things at once.

yeah, but we'd be about 10 times more efficient if we just stuck to one. have you ever seen an ENFP actually dedicated to one task? when i hit my critical stress point i pretty much turn into ENTJ on a rampage

Quote Originally Posted by Satine
    I think one takes the pilot seat, yes, but I do also believe that the others are helping with navigation, checking the systems etc. I know that when I get really high on my Ne-ing, I lose track of other peoples feelings and general mood. I hate it, it's like flying blind.
    this. good airplane metaphor

i think they shift around pretty continually, but Ne as the pilot gets the most attention. Fi as the copilot supports Ne but also pokes her when she's being oblivious. Te radios back to the tower lol. whereas Ti and Fe chill in the back goofing off and making paper airplanes...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Psychdigg View Post
    “Every holistic activity of the organism has a tendency
    to be the only one present at a given time and to exclude
    all other acts. The organism cannot combine simultaneously
    two or three holistic activities.”

Anokhin, P.K. (1965), In: Russian monographs on brain and behavior no. 3. Orienting reflex and exploratory behavior. Ed. American Institute of Biological Sciences, Washington.

Capacities are available at all times. But when you are using one capacity it is foreground and the others are by necessity in the background.
    That doesn't sound much different to me than the reality that computers create multiple program threads when you run more than one thing at once, that the resources are then switched back and forth among a very high rate of speed.

Yes, so the chip is processing only one command at a time, in the technical sense. So I suppose your statement is technically true. it is doing just one thing at a time.

But in the experienced sense, for all intents and purposes, the computer is multitasking and it is experienced as it all happening simultaneously.

Which is more useful here -- the technical truth, or the conscious experieneced truth? Consciousness = awareness. How do we experience awareness?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

i think only one is working at the time and that they work in loops and the loop stops when you figure something out. when you look inside the loop functions work separately, but when you look outside the loop all functions work together in the same loop. one loop being one thing that came into your mind and other things related to it. maybe N works as a connector on combining different loops into one and this way figuring out patterns and big picture? and stronger functions giving out better answers so that thing you try to figure out, and this is why you figure out things more easily from your stronger function perspective? and when you try to figure out something where your strong functions wont help, the loop continies longer, draining your energy and causing you to think about it longer

as ridiculous as it sounds i have been able to separate the functions inside one loop after smoking alot weed.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    But in the experienced sense, for all intents and purposes, the computer is multitasking and it is experienced as it all happening simultaneously.

Which is more useful here -- the technical truth, or the conscious experieneced truth? Consciousness = awareness. How do we experience awareness?
    I think the conscious experienced truth is more useful. It all hinges on how fast you can switch back and forth. Or, if this is viewed as a compass, can the needle be between two at any given point in time (vs. 3 or more appearing to operate close to the same time), that's significant too.

Which reminds me - I looked at my computer last night and found 80 processes running. How on earth are that many actually needed? It's a PC.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

The name Highlander brings a phrase to my mind - "There can be only one"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And you know for a fact they are ENFPs because . . . ?

My brain does not work like 1+1+1=3 or ABCDEFG.
    I read anywhere from 5-10 books at a time, I never start a book at the beginning, and I flip out when anyone says to me, "Now, Jag, one thing at a time."

There are no two human brains exactly alike. How yours works is probably opposite my own.
    To even think that only one function would be in consciousness at a time is laughable to someone like me.
    But that doesn't mean my brain is "better" than your brain. It just means we're different. The world would be boring if everyone's brain operated the same way.

Many psychologists talk about functions switching back and forth in a nanosecond as well as the ability for intuitives to "turn off" their intuition temporarily, to SEE what is in front of them. I don't think you give the brain enough credit for what it can really do.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    And you know for a fact they are ENFPs because . . . ?
    Because I know them extremely well. There is always a slight possibility that I'm wrong but don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    My brain does not work like 1+1+1=3 or ABCDEFG.
    I read anywhere from 5-10 books at a time, I never start a book at the beginning, and I flip out when anyone says to me, "Now, Jag, one thing at a time."

There are no two human brains exactly alike. How yours works is probably opposite my own.
    To even think that only one function would be in consciousness at a time is laughable to someone like me.
    But that doesn't mean my brain is "better" than your brain. It just means we're different. The world would be boring if everyone's brain operated the same way.

Many psychologists talk about functions switching back and forth in a nanosecond as well as the ability for intuitives to "turn off" their intuition temporarily, to SEE what is in front of them. I don't think you give the brain enough credit for what it can really do.
    Fair points.

I tend to be reading several books a the same time too. I do like to start at the beginning and go to the end but the temptation is often too great and I skip around. An example is when I was reading Psychological Types. It's like when you're supposed to eat peas before desert. Since I hate peas, sometimes, I just eat the desert first. Then the meat. The peas go uneaten. Though I did read that entire book (peas can be good for you).

So, back to the point of the thread. The idea is not something I came up. It came out of Thompson's and Haas/Hunziker's writings. It was an interesting concept that seemed logical and therefore worth discussing.

On a personal level, it does take me time to build up a level of concentration on something. Once I'm into something, I can focus on it for a long time. There might be little breaks but if the break is too long, I have ramp up time to build up the level of concentration again. I don't think most people are like this. And I definitely seem to be able to do only one thing well at a time.

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Gender differences could also play a role.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching