User Tag List

View Poll Results: In your opinion, how many of the statements below are true?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • None of these

15 57.69%

2 7.69%

0 0%

2 7.69%

1 3.85%

3 11.54%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
  • I believe all of these and would agree with more similar statements.

3 11.54%
First 1234 Last

garbage

For that matter, all of the terms--thinking, feeling, etc.--are terrible. But they're kind of the best we've got.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    I see that most of the people who voted indicated that they believed in none of the statements above. With that fact in consideration, I have just one question.

Why do we keep on making this preposterous connection between a person's MBTI type and certain skills or character features? For example, we have the NT Rationale forum which suggests that being an NT means being a rational thinker. Unless we believe that NTs are by definition more intelligent, rational or analytical than most people, there is no reason to call their forum a "rationale". If we don't believe that people of this type have such lofty virtues, regarding an SJ or an SP forum as a "rationale" can be supported by just as cogent of an argument as the act of applying the same descriptive epithet to the NT forum.
    I was always under the impression that, as that part of the forum is modeled after Kiersey's four temperaments, the organizer of the forum also modeled the forum names after what he named the temperaments. Therefore NT Rationals = The NT Rationale, NF Idealists = The NF Idyllic, SP Artisans = The SP Arthouse, and SJ Guardians = The SJ Guardhouse.

I, however, could be wrong and the creator of this forum could have decided he wanted to perpetuate nasty stereotypes about the temperaments such as NT types being logic-driven like the elitist bigot he is. Shame on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    I was always under the impression that, as that part of the forum is modeled after Kiersey's four temperaments, the organizer of the forum also modeled the forum names after what he named the temperaments. Therefore NT Rationals = The NT Rational, NF Idealists = The NF Idyllic, SP Artisans = The SP Arthouse, and SJ Guardians = The SJ Guardhouse.

I, however, could be wrong and the creator of this forum could have decided he wanted to perpetuate nasty stereotypes about the temperaments such as NT types being logic-driven like the elitist bigot he is. Shame on him.
    Who are you calling an elitist bigot?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    I see that most of the people who voted indicated that they believed in none of the statements above. With that fact in consideration, I have just one question.

Why do we keep on making this preposterous connection between a person's MBTI type and certain skills or character features? For example, we have the NT Rationale forum which suggests that being an NT means being a rational thinker. Unless we believe that NTs are by definition more intelligent, rational or analytical than most people, there is no reason to call their forum a "rationale". If people of this type don't have such lofty virtues, regarding an SJ or an SP forum as a "rationale" can be supported by just as cogent of an argument as the act of applying the same descriptive epithet to the NT forum.
    Personally, I prefer words like "rational", "guardian", "idealist", and "artisan" over words like "sanguine", "melancholic", "choleric" and "phlegmatic". The latter ones sound like some kind of disease.

The words are just a way to make understanding type a little more accessible for the masses. Any particular word would not be completely correct for any of the MBTI types. So, you are left with imprecision, words that are too complicated for average people to understand, or #1, #2, #3, etc.

With regards to being rational, or "having or exercising reason, sound judgment, or good sense," we all do these things most of the time and yet fail on other occasions. So none of us are completely rational and yet we all are rational. In a world of absolutes, things seem to make little sense.

Sure, preference doesn't = strength. However - preferences, talent and repetition in combination do result in strengths. The question is if typological preferences have any correlation with talent. Personally, I think they do, on average.

It would be interesting to look at the correlation between Strengthsfinder and MBTI. Haven't done it, but here's a link that seems to begin to explore how they can be used together.