User Tag List

View Poll Results: In your opinion, how many of the statements below are true?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • None of these

15 57.69%

2 7.69%

0 0%

2 7.69%

1 3.85%

3 11.54%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
  • I believe all of these and would agree with more similar statements.

3 11.54%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by paradigm-shift View Post
    I voted none of them. MBTI measures your preferences, not your abilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Who would outright state that they believe these things? The people who are just cutting their teeth on this stuff.

Who else would blatantly admit to believing these things? Almost nobody.

Now, who would allow perceptions like these to subconsciously color their thinking and their posts? Pretty much everybody, myself included.
    agree to both.

stereotypes are built on generalities, which are typically built on some kind of statistical truth.

we wouldn't have the distinctions I-E, N-S, F-T, J-P if there weren't any differences. and expanding those generalities to guide us generally is not harmful - for instance, me looking to what careers ENFPs in general tend to report the most satisfaction in. what is harmful is boxing anyone in (or out) based on generalities; saying you can't be an engineer because you are an ENFP.

i think we just have to acknowledge that they are all value-neutral, and the key to it all is developing all of the functions as best we can, to be balanced and versatile. and that it's just one way of understanding things. it can never account for all the complexities of human personality or experience, and thus should not be used to generate absolutes.

Ginkgo

Hey SW, you should state what you believe instead of playing with people. Most of your posts consist of either you sarcastically addressing people or writing lengthy diatribes. Both ways, you never really get to the point.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    Hey SW, you should state what you believe instead of playing with people. Most of your posts consist of either you sarcastically addressing people or writing lengthy diatribes. Both ways, you never really get to the point.
    But sometimes the point is best made by showing it or catalyzing it, rather than just saying it.

It's not like these stereotypes don't exist, even if here we've hashed them out a number of times. They're worth shooting down one by one, just for public record.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

In a general sense these point are agreeable with, in an absolute sense not.

I would find little value in a system that lack general conclusions being drawn from it.

A: If I am an extrovert I am more "likely" to be x

Would be a sentence I would be able to agree with.

But you are making this absolute, which I cant really say is correct.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    But sometimes the point is best made by showing it or catalyzing it, rather than just saying it.

It's not like these stereotypes don't exist, even if here we've hashed them out a number of times. They're worth shooting down one by one, just for public record.
    The point has already been shown. If there was no observable phenomenon behind SW's poll options then he probably wouldn't have made the poll to begin with.

To make a poll is simply a call to reinforce the fact that these stereotypes exist. If the voter catches on to the purpose of the poll and changes the vote in accordance, then the result is skewed.

It's better to simply state what is or isn't a stereotype so that it may be directly combated or agreed with by others, rather than trying to ruse them into agreement.

What's the point of this thread?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Apparently nothing ... partly due to the poster, partly due to the membership.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Glycerine

Many of these may be true for a lot of people in each grouping but someone's type does not dictate someone's strengths but his preferences. One could find a multitude of exceptions so I chose that I agreed with none.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

I see that most of the people who voted indicated that they believed in none of the statements above. With that fact in consideration, I have just one question.

Why do we keep on making this preposterous connection between a person's MBTI type and certain skills or character features? For example, we have the NT Rationale forum which suggests that being an NT means being a rational thinker. Unless we believe that NTs are by definition more intelligent, rational or analytical than most people, there is no reason to call their forum a "rationale". If people of this type don't have such lofty virtues, regarding an SJ or an SP forum as a "rationale" can be supported by just as cogent of an argument as the act of applying the same descriptive epithet to the NT forum.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

I think a lot of it stems from Keirsey's attempts to come up with new names for the temperaments, using stereotypical tendencies to outline the groups.

That's why I prefer the ancient names (for both the temperaments and Interaction Styles).

Then the individual dichotomies end up treated the same way.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    I see that most of the people who voted indicated that they believed in none of the statements above. With that fact in consideration, I have just one question.

Why do we keep on making this preposterous connection between a person's MBTI type and certain skills or character features? For example, we have the NT Rationale forum which suggests that being an NT means being a rational thinker. Unless we believe that NTs are by definition more intelligent, rational or analytical than most people, there is no reason to call their forum a "rationale". If we don't believe that people of this type have such lofty virtues, regarding an SJ or an SP forum as a "rationale" can be supported by just as cogent of an argument as the act of applying the same descriptive epithet to the NT forum.
    Why do we call you SolitaryWalker? Are you walking alone at this moment? You're interacting with a group of people online; so if you are to fulfill your namesake, you should walk far far away until no one hears from you again.