• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Let pretend we are at a party!

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
I would hold the door open for other people coming in who probably don't want to wait behind me, then enter myself and stand in the doorway so I could observe the room. If I meet the eye of anyone I recognize, I would smile in a reserved yet amiable manner typical of me in large social settings. I would probably go out of my way to greet those people first, perhaps listen intently to the conversation (or pretend to) a bit before moving on to listen to other conversations and greet people who look interesting. At some point I would get bored and start to look for ways to get some value out of my night-- probably get some water or maybe a drink and either look for another loner who looks interesting to talk to, or look for a good discussion that I'd actually want to get involved in.

Though-out the evening I probably wouldn't talk much. I'd smile a lot and pretend to find the whole thing interesting, but after long enough if nothing fun was going on, I'd slip out quietly... perhaps go jump in the pool, explore a nearby forest, or shoot some hoops out on the driveway if I could find a basketball. If I'm lucky the hosts will have some kids who can show me something more interesting to do.

Last edited:

Atomic Fiend

I would hold the door open for other people coming in who probably don't want to wait behind me, then enter myself and stand in the doorway so I could observe the room. If I meet the eye of anyone I recognize, I would smile in a reserved yet amiable manner typical of me in large social settings. I would probably go out of my way to greet those people first, perhaps listen intently to the conversation (or pretend to) a bit before moving on to listen to other conversations and greet people who look interesting. At some point I would get bored and start get some value out of my night-- probably get some water or maybe a drink and either look for another loner who looks interesting to talk to, or look for a good discussion that I'd actually want to get involved in.

Though-out the evening I probably wouldn't talk much. I'd smile a lot and pretend to find the whole thing interesting, but after long enough if nothing fun was going on, I'd slip out quietly... perhaps go jump in the pool, explore a nearby forest, or shoot some hoops out on the driveway if I could find a basketball. If I'm lucky the hosts will have some kids who can show me something more interesting to do.

I'd be following this guy. Because frankly I would be bored also.

Alchemist

MBTI Type
INFJ
"WHAT IS LOVE!?"

Is the first thing you'd hear as I step into the doorway. I don't scan the room, or look for anyone I know, but I'm probably very happy as I land on the dance floor and drop into the beat of whatever song is playing. If a circle doesn't open up for me, I start swinging elbows and giving off the party shout.

If my dancing buddies are with me, they'd be on the floor with me and we'd show each other what we learned since the last time we met.

Alternatively, I'm the DJ. XD

-A

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8

I can do most of them :p I have danced for some years, even competed a bit in it before starting to cycle..

If you're a man dancing at a party, you're attracting a lot of women.

Well, that's part of why I'd do it :D But generally dancing is by far the most fun activity I can see at a party. Chatting doesn't even come close as second. I can't see why males seem to consider it "gay" or something like that. Never seen so many chicks being attracted to me as much as when I dance, and if that's being gay hey, i'll be, lol.
Most of my friends are lame though and don't dance. I've got only an ISTp buddy with whom I can go asking girls to dance with us.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Frankly, I'd try not to go unless there was someone whose company I really enjoyed also going...and we'd walk in together, if I could arrange that. But by myself, in a place where I don't know anyone, I'm very likely just to slink back out the door...depending on the whole setting of the party anyway. If it's loud, I wouldn't stay long regardless who I was with...but if it's pretty low-key, I'd stay for a while. Until I got tired or bored anyway. I'm not likely to intoduce myself to anyone unless they do so to me first. I might not even acknowledge anyone there if I didn't know them.

I'm really, just not a party person. A "get together" person, yes. Party person, no.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I feel pretty comfortable at clubs and enjoy myself, mostly dancing and talking to friends, but also saying hello to familiar faces, saying hi to strangers, having random conversations in general, and getting friendly with bartenders (it pays!) If I'm at a club, it's generally because I want to be there.

At parties though -- it really depends on my mood, the crowd, the kind of party, the kind of layout, who I know, and why I'm there. I know, is that vague enough? I can be really nervous, really relaxed, very outgoing, very quiet, very playful, or very reserved. Judging from past experience, it's all across the board. I've made spectacles of myself and chatted up folks ad infinitum and I've also sat or stood in a corner counting the minutes until I could leave. Even so, I generally make an effort to talk to at least 1or 2 strangers. You never know who you'll meet next!

Perhaps it's related to type? I think someone else said that ENFP can exhibit a little bit of every type.

MBTI Type
INTJ
If I didn't know anyone at the party..gulp..I'd be really nervous and would be trying to figure out where to go, who to try to meet, and how to work my way into a conversation. I'd be really self-conscious the whole time, feeling like I stuck out because I was by myself and didn't know anyone. Even if I managed to mingle my way into a group, I'd be quiet most of the time. If I went with someone I knew, I'd pretty much stay with them - but then if they knew a bunch of people, I'd feel bad that I was being so clingy, and so then I'd probably try to make some effort chit-chatting with other people.

My savior would be some sort of activity - playing cards or darts, or a board game (as long as it's NOT charades or anything where I have to get up in front of people and sing/act! eek!!). I'd dive into that and be much more comfortable. And once I was doing that I'd have an easier time mellowing out and then chit-chatting with the other players.

[although if we're talking college-type parties, then I was inclined to just drown my uncomfortableness by getting drunk and dancing]

Are you sure we weren't separated at birth??

Although I would play charades. I can get pretty extroverted but only in the context of a game or competitive activity. I'd clam right up again if after the game I found myself chatting with one of the participants.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Are you sure we weren't separated at birth??
hehe ;)
GULL-ISLAND-LOVE-BOAT.gif

Alchemist

MBTI Type
INFJ
No one's ever called me gay for dancing, or even looked at me like I was. Then again, I'm a 'street dancer'. I think guys who say dancing is gay are the ones that are *way* too insecure about their sexuality.

Regardless of how attractive dancing is, it's just plain fun. (^-^)b

-A

MBTI Type
INTJ

It's Isaac your bartender!

This reminds me of a good story. My ex-roommate saw Ted Lange out somewhere a couple of years ago. Figuring he was tired of people saying "Hey, it's Isaac!" she introduced herself and told him that she had really enjoyed his performance as Othello (he had played the role sometime in the 90s in a touring production.) She said that he was ecstatic that someone remembered him for that and seemed genuinely touched. She made a C-list celebrity's day!

Ed. note: She then told me that he was not very good at all as Othello :)

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'd forget it was happening until the morning of the party, when I'd be reminded by a phone call from my ISTJ friend. He wouldn't be calling specifically to remind me, but for advice and instructions on what he should wear and what he should bring, and to quiz me on exactly who would be going, the format and schedule of the party and what he should expect. I'd answer that I've no idea about any of the above, and he'd grumble and ask me what I was wearing. I'd respond by describing my current attire, being facetious, but he'd not realize and think I was serious.

I'd turn up at the party wearing something clean and classic, not showy or flashy, but smart and elegant. I'd probably be about half an hour late, at least. Not deliberately, but just because I got distracted en route by something popping into my head that I figured I'd best take care of before I forgot, and then several sidetracks later, I'd be back en route.

ISTJ would be mad at me, because he arrived long before me and didn't know anyone and didn't have anyone to introduce him, so he stood around like a lemon. He'd also be mad at me because I was dressed smartly, whilst he was wearing something similar to what I had been when he phoned me - a pair of scruffy jeans and a plain t-shirt, unironed. I'd pat him on the arm and chuckle and say something that put his attire in a new light to everyone and made him feel jolly stylish, and then I'd go into the building.

I'd want to take a quick tour around the premises, so I know the lay of the land and what sort of crowd we've got here, and in the process I'd be stopped by lots of people I know and introduced to lots of people I didn't know. I'd get sidetracked a heck of a lot, and it'd probably take the best part of an hour for me to finish my tour, if I was really determined. But before I began it, I'd get myself a drink - if you walk around at a party without a drink, people think you're a roadie or a bouncer or something and nobody talks to you. I wouldn't want an alcoholic one though, not yet.

I'd start on the alcohol after about two hours had elapsed, once I knew everyone's name (but probably forget it before I talk to them again) and had a general idea of what kind of person they were. That way, I'm less likely to make serious gaffes when drunk. At this point, I cease to have any control or even desire to have control, over what happens and where I am/what I do/who I talk to. I become the ball in the pinball machine, pinging faster and scoring higher as the night goes on.

When everything's finished and most people have gone home, I'm the one standing, leaning against the wall with my hair messed up out of its original style by all the ruffling it's received both by me scratching my own head whilst thinking of a reply (a habit of mine) and other people ruffling it in that "Oh, youuuu!!" way that they do when someone gets away with a cheeky jibe. I'm talking to another couple of people (we only met each other that evening), and we've barely noticed that the music stopped and the lights came on. We continue to talk as we occasionally have to move our feet for the caretakers' brooms, and move aside absently for the occasional amp-carrying roadie.

We don't want to stop partying, so we drunkenly hoof it to some mutually, spontaneously agreed destination, such as a nightclub if there are any still open, or one of our homes or the home of someone else one of us knows that's sure to welcome company at any time. Either way, we all end up crashing out on some strange floor somewhere, and manage to, between us, procure coffee and bacon sandwiches the following morning after being rudely awakened by a vacuum cleaner to the head. Tsk. Cleaners should know to check behind chairs for random sleeping people!!

Then it's a walk back to the car, wherever I left it, and a bleary drive home to relieve the babysitters.

That's how it usually goes, anyway.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
I can do most of them :p I have danced for some years, even competed a bit in it before starting to cycle..

Well, that's part of why I'd do it :D But generally dancing is by far the most fun activity I can see at a party. Chatting doesn't even come close as second. I can't see why males seem to consider it "gay" or something like that. Never seen so many chicks being attracted to me as much as when I dance, and if that's being gay hey, i'll be, lol.
Most of my friends are lame though and don't dance.

That's what I meant. :yes: A guy who likes to dance is great to have at a party. Nightclub 2-step anyone?

When I go to parties, I usually dance with other women. I like to dance, but my husband doesn't like modern or line dances, although he can waltz (also rumba and cha-cha, but who plays those?). He prefers to sit in one place and chat or walk around with a camera.

Question - do any NTPs out there like to dance?

Jae Rae

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
:blush: lmao! What will Limey think? haha! Sub :hug:

Oh, only in fun of course! I'm harmless

I'd be hitting on other people too! (edit - just to see the reactions, so I can react to them. I'm not a randy perv or anything!!)

(yes I do have some in mind...)