• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

S/N and P/J confusion. D=

Coco

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Hello!

There are people saying that you can be a P but be very clean, organized and decisive, or J but messy sloppy pootchy pootchy :huh: And that P/J isn't about that but about the function order :huh: Idk but it seems like P/J is less big than lets say F/T and it completly changes the functions. Why? And if P/J is all about the functions and not about if you're decisive control freak crazy worker or a revolutionary hippie who doesnt like showers, how come thats what they say in the descriptions? Did P/J lost its very true meaning? :cry:

And S/N seems kinda the same. There are human beings saying that S can be very dreamy and use a lot of metaphors and be very interested in theories but still be like S. Its weird cuz typology websites seem to be in 3 clans: People who have some kind of N bias and everybody is N and S are dumb noobies who dont have any imagination, People who do what I wrote in the 2nd phrase, and people who don't understand anything(like me). :doh:

help plz
:bananallama:

G

garbage

And if P/J is all about the functions and not about if you're decisive control freak crazy worker or a revolutionary hippie who doesnt like showers, how come thats what they say in the descriptions? Did P/J lost its very true meaning? :cry:

Depends on the system you use, I guess

MBTI, as far as the tests are concerned, is all about the 'control freak' and 'showers.'

Jungian functions are.. .. yeah, about the functions and how they manifest.

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6

Hi! I'll attempt to answer your questions in as few words as possible. Let's see how we do.

There are people saying that you can be a P but be very clean, organized and decisive, or J but messy sloppy pootchy pootchy :huh: And that P/J isn't about that but about the function order :huh: Idk but it seems like P/J is less big than lets say F/T and it completly changes the functions. Why? And if P/J is all about the functions and not about if you're decisive control freak crazy worker or a revolutionary hippie who doesnt like showers, how come thats what they say in the descriptions? Did P/J lost its very true meaning? :cry:

There are several reasons why P/J is the most important of the four dichotomies in terms of your functions but in order to explain why I shall have to explain to you how the four-letter indicator works to determine your primary functions. Take my type, INTP, as an example.

The first letter in a type indicator, "I", in my case, determines if your dominant function is introverted or extraverted. Your auxiliary function will take the opposite attitude. Mine is "I", so whatever my dominant function is, its attitude is introverted. So, at this point, I have four possibilities for my dominant function: Ti, Fi, Ni, and Si, and four possibilities for my auxiliary function, Te, Fe, Ne, and Se.

The second letter in a type indicator, "N", in my case, determines what your primary perceiving function is (N/S). It does not indicate whether the attitude of your perceiving function is introverted or extraverted, however. So, this rules out the S functions in my dominant/auxiliary, leaving me with Ti, Fi, and Ni for my dominant and Te, Fe, and Ne for my auxiliary.

The third letter in a type indicator, "T", in my case, determines what my primary judging function is (T/F). It is much like the second letter in that it does not determine the attitude of the function. This rules out the F functions, leaving my dominant possibilities at Ti and Ni and my aux at Te and Ne.

Now we get to the last letter. This one is a little complicated. The fourth letter in the type indicator, "P", in my case, indicates which function has an extraverted attitude, the judging function or the perceiving function. So, in my type, the perceiving function is extraverted. Because the first letter of my indicator dictates that my dominant function must be introverted, this means that my perceiving function is my auxiliary and my function order is: Ti, Ne, Si, Fe.

The reason why the P/J dichotomy presents the stereotypes you describe is because it determines which attitude we present to the outside world. The judging functions seek order and organization, so if you are a judging type you like to keep your external world as orderly as possible. Your perceiving function is not as concerned with organization and is more of a "free-spirited", open-ended process. So Perceiving types like to keep their external world open-ended and tend to be less externally organized, whereas their introverted judgement means that their internal selves tend to be highly organized and ordered. The same principle applies to judging types--their internal selves are much less ordered and more open-ended.

Now let's examine the effect the P/J dichotomy has on function order. Because that letter determines which function has an extraverted attitude, changing that letter will have some interesting effects. Let's take INTP again, and examine our introverted counterpart, the INTJ.

As I've determined earlier in this post, the INTP's function order is: Ti-Ne-Si-Fe. INTJs, however, have their judging function extraverted instead of their perceiving one. This means that it is their thinking function instead of their intuitive one that is the auxiliary and has an extraverted attitude, so their function order is Ni-Te-Fi-Se! As you can see, there are no functions in common with my type present in an INTJ. This is the main reason why, in terms of function theory, the P/J dichotomy is the most important one. If you change other individual letters in my type indicator, you will see that they still preserve at least one of my functions. ENTP: Ne-Ti-Fe-Si, ISTP: Ti-Se-Ni-Fe, INFP: Fi-Ne-Si-Te.

And S/N seems kinda the same. There are human beings saying that S can be very dreamy and use a lot of metaphors and be very interested in theories but still be like S. Its weird cuz typology websites seem to be in 3 clans: People who have some kind of N bias and everybody is N and S are dumb noobies who dont have any imagination, People who do what I wrote in the 2nd phrase, and people who don't understand anything(like me). :doh:

I'm not really sure what you're asking about with these two functions, however. And I just wrote a hell of a lot up there so I'm rather worn out. However, if you want me to explain anything I just wrote in more detail, don't hesitate to ask!

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
You're welcome! Was what I wrote helpful and understandable? I could have given you about 5 links that said the same thing but I wanted to see if I understood this enough to teach someone else about it.

Coco

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
it was very understandable, dont worry mister astronomer :p

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
it was very understandable, dont worry mister astronomer :p

I'm actually a Geologist, but I try as hard as I can to be knowledgeable in all fields of science. :)

coconut

MBTI Type
INTJ
The first letter in a type indicator, "I", in my case, determines if your dominant function is introverted or extraverted. Your auxiliary function will take the opposite attitude.

I determines if your dominant function is introverted or extraverted -- it doesn't determine whether you are introverted or extraverted? So then, a person can be "I" and yet be outgoing and love to go to parties and have people over?

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I determines if your dominant function is introverted or extraverted -- it doesn't determine whether you are introverted or extraverted? So then, a person can be "I" and yet be outgoing and love to go to parties and have people over?

Correct. Although usually dominant function introversion/extraversion and social introversion/extraversion tend to coincide, it is not always the case. ENTPs and ENFPs are noted for being particularly "introverted" extraverts.

Coco

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
So I could be a ENFP but an introvert? :eek:

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6

In terms of sociability, yes. Extraverts in function theory place chief importance on external sources, but those external sources do not necessarily have to be other people. Ne doms tend to focus on particular objects of interest rather than other people, especially ENTPs, who can become rather reclusive.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
P vs J:
Sloppiness can be a Perceiver indicator, but it isn't the definition. You can be a Metallica fan without ever wearing the T-shirt. My ESTJ husband's desk is a mess, but his agenda is clean and often checked.

The main distinction is planning versus improvising. J's don't like to come unprepared. If there's a deadline, the J would rather start four days too early than be one minute too late. If something unexpected breaks down their planning, they'll panic.

The P needs the stress as a motivator. They would procrastinate, pull an all-nighter and be happy about the situation because they have had more time to play than the judger. They actually expect unexpected situations to break down their planning, so why plan in advance? We'll see what happens and find a solution on the moment.

Maybe that's a better indicator than sloppy desks: how would you react to something breaking down your plans?
"Next time, I won't lose time making plans because they break down anyway" -> P
"Next time, I'll prepare for this situation too" -> J
Of course, after a while, the P is good at improvising on the spot and appearing prepared; while the J would cover most situations in his plans.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

i typed myself as INFP for years, before i actually researched enough about this stuff to learn why i didn't sound quite like the INFP profiles :laugh:

Wikipedia said:
Judgment vs. perception
The most notable addition of Myers and Briggs to Jung's original thought is their concept that a given type's fourth letter (J or P) is determined by how that type interacts with the external world, rather than by the type's dominant function. The difference becomes evident when assessing the cognitive functions of introverts.[1]:21-22

To Jung, a type with dominant introverted thinking, for example, would be considered rational (judging) because the decision-making function is dominant. To Myers, however, that same type would be irrational (perceiving) because the individual uses an information-gathering function (either extraverted intuition or extraverted sensing) when interacting with the outer world.

take a look at ENFP, INFP,and INFJ. who is most likely to be organized in their daily materials? INFJ, of course. but who is the most likely to have strong, unchanging convictions? probably INFP. INFP might be a P, but they are still judging dominant because their dominant function is introverted Feeling. it just so happens that typically, MBTI P types tend to be less externally organized - i assume that this is supposedly because they spend more time prioritizing the things in their heads (Ji) and taking in info from the world around them (Pe), while J types supposedly spend more time taking info in from themselves (Pi) and prioritizing things in the world around them (Je). on the other hand, ENFP, ESFP, ENTP, and ESTP take the chameleon cake because we rely on external perceiving (Pe) AND are perceiving dominant (PeJi) instead of auxiliary (JiPe).

so to add on to the answer to your question... J/P and E/I aren't really more important, but they're more than just a simple sliding scale like N/F and S/T. and while J/P and I/E don't really tell you anything about what the content of your processing is, they indicate the way things are "set up".

Stevo said:
Ne doms tend to focus on particular objects of interest rather than other people, especially ENTPs, who can become rather reclusive.

yeah, exactly. Ne doms tend to really like theories and systems and stuff like that. i can ignore my social life with relative ease when i'm caught up in a pet project, even though i love getting together with friends and family, and big social events. i'm also kinda socially anxious, lol, and i've been really surprised to hear that it's not uncommon amongst ENFPs.

lately i've been an advocate of determining simple N/S and F/T first, then J (Je/Pi) or P (Ji/Pe), then E (Je/Pi or Pe/Ji) or I (Pi/Je or JiPe) last. otherwise i think J and S, and N and P, can sometimes get confused, and I and E definitely have some misleading connotations.

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
P vs J:
Sloppiness can be a Perceiver indicator, but it isn't the definition. You can be a Metallica fan without ever wearing the T-shirt. My ESTJ husband's desk is a mess, but his agenda is clean and often checked.

The main distinction is planning versus improvising. J's don't like to come unprepared. If there's a deadline, the J would rather start four days too early than be one minute too late. If something unexpected breaks down their planning, they'll panic.

The P needs the stress as a motivator. They would procrastinate, pull an all-nighter and be happy about the situation because they have had more time to play than the judger. They actually expect unexpected situations to break down their planning, so why plan in advance? We'll see what happens and find a solution on the moment.

Maybe that's a better indicator than sloppy desks: how would you react to something breaking down your plans?
"Next time, I won't lose time making plans because they break down anyway" -> P
"Next time, I'll prepare for this situation too" -> J
Of course, after a while, the P is good at improvising on the spot and appearing prepared; while the J would cover most situations in his plans.

Ahh... I think this post made me come to terms with my J finally... My desk looks like someone walked in with a stack of papers and sneeze and blew them all over the place... However... If you look at my calendar (all four of them :blush:) they are all very neat and tidy...

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In MBTI parlance, someone whose dominant function is introverted (Ti, Si, etc.) is an introvert, while someone whose dominant function is extraverted (Fe, Ne, etc.) is an extravert. This is part of how the types are defined. An introvert with, say, Fe will have it as an auxiliary function. An introvert who is outgoing and loves socializing is either very comfortable with their extraverted auxiliary function, or perhaps is really an extravert (ENFJ rather than INFJ).

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
to explain with a few examples from my real life here...

thanks to cognitive functions, I'm an ESTP... Se as my dominant function and Ti as my highest introverted function... I tend to take in the information around me and be more present focused and focused on what is as opposed to what might be or what isn't... this doesn't mean that I'm not an industrial strength ditz/klutz who gets lost in their own world in the least bit... nor does it mean that I'm unable to comprehend theories (though I'm usually not interested in them unless I can apply them to something) :)

I'm a Sensor who likes theory and spaces out frequently

I'm a Perceiver who always shows up on time and tends to keep her kitchen in order

I'm an Extrovert who blushes easily and is overwhelmed by crowds :doh:

It's all functions... how we use them is a different story :laugh:

(I have an ISTJ with a rather messy desk, who works in a social job and who is more interested in sci fi than in history books :yes:)