• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I think MBTI is full of it.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
MBTI exists so Vic can have his whipping boy and Sim can have his toy. they'll keep throwing sand at eash other until recess ends...

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
One of them needs to stop posting. I say Victor. Simulatedworld has given useful advice and examples, while Victor, on the contrary, is repeating himself, which lets Sim use his entire list of conjured witty insults and side-comments. Victor sees it as further debate, and types about 400% more in rebuttal.

Short version: Victor is wasting his time. Go outside. Read a book. Find your ideal partner. Take a deep breath and release your fingers from the keyboard and mouse. Look out of your window, ponder, reflect, and never type a character in this thread again.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The fact is that the validity and reliability of all personality tests are determined by many and repeated random double blind experiments, but not MBTI.

Wait a minute--I'm curious now. How can other personality tests put people in boxes? Aren't people way too unique for that?

Also let us examine the testing instruments of these other personality tests which are verified by double blind studies.

How can we be certain these testing instruments are designed in such a way as to accurately reflect the true nature of the human soul?

If any Psychology Department took MBTI seriously they would do a random double blind test. But in seventy years not one Psychology Department has done a random double blind test.

In other words we take MBTI on blind faith.

And in a country based on blind faith, MBTI naturally recommends itself.

Very few people on this forum actually use the MBTI test itself. We use the categories to refer to arrangements of Jungian functions, and many of us are of the opinion that psychological type is not something that can be tested accurately at all.

Full of it? Full of sunshines and rainbows, sure!

I approve

redacted

Seems to me this is an issue of confusing scope.

This is, in my opinion, a huge issue on this site and actually led to me taking a long break. Anyways, I've been guilty of exactly the same thing.....

What I'm saying is this. MBTI is a descriptive tool. That is all. There are some situations where it's convenient to use just one letter to describe some behavior, some other situations where you might want to use all four letters, and some situations where MBTI just isn't a good framework to describe what is going on. Seems to me that the latter is by far the most common situation. Using MBTI in these situations will doubtlessly lead to criticism of the system itself -- but it's not the system's fault. It is the responsibility of the user of the system to decide when MBTI is an appropriate tool.

MBTI is basically just a system of adjectives. Like calling someone smart or cool or lazy or whatever...

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Firstly, thank you all for responding, even those of you that would rather debate instead of taking the scrapping to Private Messages.

Here is my conclusion:

1. I have to have a type. My environment affects my behavior, which leaves me making changes to the way I live in order to achieve a goal I have set for myself.

2. My preferred type is ENTP. If I could, I would love to rip a bong on a couch, play Super Smash Bros. on the Nintendo 64, take adventures to every country in the world, think of different facets of life, reduce them to equations and write them down in a large notebook to be published for free after my death; however, life simply isn't that simple.

3. I'm not INFP. I'm simply not concerned about other people enough, and my morals and ethics hardly play any part of my thought process. The same goes for INFJ. I'm not ENTJ; I'm content doing nothing, and I despise an unnecessary amount of work. (Don't overanalyze these conclusions– these words are mere summaries of the reasons I came to them).

4. MBTI makes a hell of a lot more sense. Again, thanks to everyone who gave their thoughts here.