User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Smile The Bunyip Aristocracy

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Yeah, but York had a duke to go along with it. South Wales only has half a prince, and he's English.
    Yeah, they tried to establish a landed gentry in Oz, but we laughed them out of court by calling it the Bunyip Aristocracy.

And the Bunyip is the only one laughing now.

And the Bunyip is laughing at the Types, slyly giggling at the ridiculous jargon, the pretension that we can understand ourselves by dividing us into Types.

What Type are you, says the Bunyip, I'm an INFP or is that an ESTJ. I can fiddle with Types just as Nero fiddled as Rome burnt. But the barbarians are at the gate. They seek to divide and conquer by dividing us into Types.

But I'm not a Type, I am not a number, I am not four magic letters, I am whole and wholesome, a Roman, ready to defend the Holy City of the Enlightenment.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    someone translate victorese please?
    Traduttore, Traditore - to translate is to betray.

And ressentiment seeks to betray us with Types.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Yeah, they tried to establish a landed gentry in Oz, but we laughed them out of court by calling it the Bunyip Aristocracy.

And the Bunyip is the only one laughing now.

And the Bunyip is laughing at the Types, slyly giggling at the ridiculous jargon, the pretension that we can understand ourselves by dividing us into Types.

What Type are you, says the Bunyip, I'm an INFP or is that an ESTJ. I can fiddle with Types just as Nero fiddled as Rome burnt. But the barbarians are at the gate. They seek to divide and conquer by dividing us into Types.

But I'm not a Type, I am not a number, I am not four magic letters, I am whole and wholesome, a Roman, ready to defend the Holy City of the Enlightenment.
    Ave victoria victoresque. A true Cincinnatus of our time.

MBTi and Jung's psychological types are the centerpiece of all psychology courses. You can't understand the human mind without them... This is highlighted on wikipedia, where MBTi is mentioned zero times under psychology and cognitive psychology, and Jung is mentioned twice under psychology and zero times under cognitive psychology. This is probably because Jung is the founder of analytical psychology and not cognitive psychology. Wikipedia also mentions that "Jungian ideas are routinely discussed in part by curriculum of introductory psychology course offerings with most major universities, and although rarely covered by higher level course work, his ideas are discussed further by the Faculty of Humanities." This seems to agree with my understanding of his work. It is often used by writers, script writers, journalists, career counsellors, business, etc. It is not the pinnacle of the psychology world, or cognitive studies.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    MBTi and Jung's psychological types are the centerpiece of all psychology courses.
    So far I have not been able to find one Psychology Department of any reputable university that teaches MBTI, any more than I have been able to find one Astronomy Department that teaches Astrology.

Psychology Departments find MBTI risible, just as Astronomy Departments laugh at the idea of teaching Astrology.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

So far I have not been able to find one Psychology Department of any reputable university that teaches MBTI, any more than I have been able to find one Astronomy Department that teaches Astrology.

Psychology Departments find MBTI risible, just as Astronomy Departments laugh at the idea of teaching Astrology.
    Sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internet, unfortunately.

MBTI
    LoLz

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internet, unfortunately.
    I told you, we need a Victor to English dictionary.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Yeah, let's do it.

The old ship is sinking with all hands on board, but we are building a new ship with every post we make.

Naturally we are reluctant to leave the old ship. It has the advantage of familiarity. Hey, it's family. But the new ship is taking shape around us. All we need to do is limn the new shape as we build it.

Most of us are familiar with the new. Some of us live in New South Wales and some in New York. All we need to do is leave South Wales and York behind. And set sail for the New World. Hey, we are living in it already.

And just as Captain Cook, the worlds greatest navigator and explorer, navigated our way to the New World, so Marshall McLuhan, the patron saint of the internet, has navigated our way to the internet, to the noosphere, the new sphere.

The book guided us to the sphere of literacy, while the speed of light on the internet is guiding us into the safe harbour of the noosphere.

And just as Captain Cook sailed into Sydney Harbour, Captain Marshall McLuhan is sailing our ship into the noosphere.

And just as Sydney Harbour is the most beautiful harbour in the world, so is the noosphere.
    pm;dr

("presumably meaningless; didn't read")

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    MBTi and Jung's psychological types are the centerpiece of all psychology courses. You can't understand the human mind without them... This is highlighted on wikipedia, where MBTi is mentioned zero times under psychology and cognitive psychology, and Jung is mentioned twice under psychology and zero times under cognitive psychology. This is probably because Jung is the founder of analytical psychology and not cognitive psychology. Wikipedia also mentions that "Jungian ideas are routinely discussed in part by curriculum of introductory psychology course offerings with most major universities, and although rarely covered by higher level course work, his ideas are discussed further by the Faculty of Humanities." This seems to agree with my understanding of his work. It is often used by writers, script writers, journalists, career counsellors, business, etc. It is not the pinnacle of the psychology world, or cognitive studies.
    <Victor's head explodes>

Georgia State University Psychology Department

I went to school here and they taught a brief section on MBTI in my Intro to General Psych course.

In case you're wondering about the credentials of this school (I thought your very Te addition of the words "of repute" was pretty telling), look at the qualifications listed on the linked page:

Almost $6 million in annual external grant support, to 27 different principal investigators
    150 peer reviewed publications in past two years, plus 24 book chapters and 1 book
    13 PhDs in psychology conferred each year, on average

I guess my school was not a university "of repute", though, if it doesn't support Victor's idealistic fantasy.

Nah, you're probably ISFP or INTJ.

"I am too special to fit in a box" = classic Fi.

You do not understand categories as anything but static forced definitions.

The categories are constantly changed and updated and carried in different variations within each of us, and those of us who study typology continue to adjust them constantly the more we learn about the people around us.

You do not move to fit the type's predetermined static shape; the type is neither static nor one shape. It is constantly redefined to fit you and others who share it.

Imagine not an ordinary concrete box, but a liquid container capable of constantly stretching, bending and rearranging itself to accommodate the wide variety of people contained with it.

That is how typology users think of categorization and types.

Since you don't really seem to get this, I'm forced to assume your opinion on the matter is garbled nonsense.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Nah, you're probably ISFP or INTJ.
    ...Please.

I also don't think a "brief review of MBTI" at your alma mater counts as the sort of focus Victor is alluding to here as what he thinks constitutes legitimate inquiry.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    LoLz

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    ...Please.

I also don't think a "brief review of MBTI" at your alma mater counts as the sort of focus Victor is alluding to here as what he thinks constitutes legitimate inquiry.
    Yeah....Even in my limited classes at the community college, I actually learned of MBTI in an interpersonal communication class, where our instructor had us all take the test....on humanmetrics. Our learning center has a whole shelf dedicated to MBTI books, testing services, MBTI certified people. Not nearly what you're alluding to, but it was definitely enough to hook me. Usually I don't go for a random personality test, but it showed a lot of history, research and validity. Now 2 years later, and I'm still obsessed.