• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fe and Popularity

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
This is something I noticed recently and I wonder if it means anything or not. For some of the more mathematically inclined (pt? economica? ygolo?) is this higher than chance?

I noticed that 8 of the top 10 posters with the highest reputations have Fe somewhere in their conscious functions (ENFJ, INFJ, ENTP, ESTP, INTP, ISTP). As much as people say Fe annoys them, it seems to work quite well on the forum and it's paying off. This isn't about the reputation system, just about the use of Fe on the forum (birthday threads, baby threads, meetup threads, etc.).

Would people say the use of Fe here at MBTIc is negative? Positive? Are there any collective manifestations of other functions on the forum?

Last edited:

Jive A Turkey

MBTI Type
INFP
Would people say the use of Fe here at MBTIc negative? Positive?

Positive for me. Fe is not one of my tendencies and I'm here searching for information. It's all part of natural behavior. Here, we get to see explicitly identified Fe in action.
(in a child's voice) It's like a people zoo.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Frankly, it's my dominant function and I like it, and I've gained so much knowledge from other Fe's.

But I like to experience the relief of non-Fe users.

Interesting thread topic, Protes. :)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
quite an interesting topic! :yes: (and your signature is making me hungry :drool:) :ninja: is it one of your administrative powers though to see what lies behind our black boxes? :huh:

I'd think that Fe and popularity would be a logical link since it would be the people who are most likely to think about things in relations to other people! :) (yes- I just looked up Fe :tongue: so what- I have a hard time with theories! :cry:)

I would think that it was a plus to have Fe around here! It keeps us more community like and is quite welcoming of new members and such! :D

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
quite an interesting topic! :yes: (and your signature is making me hungry :drool:) :ninja: is it one of your administrative powers though to see what lies behind our black boxes? :huh:

I'd think that Fe and popularity would be a logical link since it would be the people who are most likely to think about things in relations to other people! :) (yes- I just looked up Fe :tongue: so what- I have a hard time with theories! :cry:)

I would think that it was a plus to have Fe around here! It keeps us more community like and is quite welcoming of new members and such! :D

I agree. And you're one of the biggest users of Fe, Whatever. :hug:

I'm Fe also. I understand Fi much less, and this is why I have questions about my INTJ friend.

As for other collective functions, I'm still considering their effects on this forum, but I'd love to hear what others think.

Jae Rae

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Fe isn't negative, that's for sure, but there are too many factors to know if a conclusion can be drawn from this sample. I'd say three things are required -

- the source of the reputation, since dealing with a small amount of people, if a significant amount of reputation comes from a very small amount of people, then the sample probably doesn't reflect broad-Fe superpowers. (A small but active group may like Fe posts, which would mean something different.)

- the amount of posts, per day since the reputation system was started. For example, quite a few of those in that group have 20+ posts per day. This gives significantly more opportunity to a small number of people. If, however, it was found that non-Fe types also posted at a similar rate, then it probably doesn't matter.

- And of course, you'd have to tabulate how many non-Fe participants are present on the board, with some threshold on posts since the inception of the reputation system.

I would think that within that time frame, the xxFJs, xxTPs outnumber the xxFPs and xxTJs somewhat in posts fairly significantly, and this alone might explain the difference. I would also assume that there are huge spikes of reputation givers, both because of the exponential increase in reputation-giving/different levels of reputation giving and due to existing relationships between members.

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
This is something I noticed recently and I wonder if it means anything or not. For some of the more mathematically inclined (pt? economica? ygolo?) is this higher than chance?

I noticed that 8 of the top 10 posters with the highest reputations have Fe somewhere in their conscious functions (ENFJ, INFJ, ENTP, ESTP, INTP, ISTP). As much as people say Fe annoys them, it seems to work quite well on the forum and it's paying off. This isn't about the reputation system, just about the use of Fe on the forum (birthday threads, baby threads, meetup threads, etc.).

Would people say the use of Fe here at MBTIc is negative? Positive? Are there any collective manifestations of other functions on the forum?

I score lowest in Fe. My Te is even higher than Fe. A shadow can be bigger or smaller than the object that creates it.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
It seems that a more obvious effect is that people who write lots of posts that are either social talk or about common stuff that most other people know about are the ones with higher rep, and it makes sense that types using more Fe would be more likely to write about stuff like that.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It seems that a more obvious effect is that people who write lots of posts that are either social talk or about common stuff that most other people know about are the ones with higher rep, and it makes sense that types using more Fe would be more likely to write about stuff like that.

Geez. Here we go again.

I'm so outta here. Making me tired all over already.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think it's Fe exclusively, although yes, those with higher rep's tend to have Fe. I think it's more just those who post more often and/or 'know' and maintain relationships with other mbti members outside of the main forums, via email, PM'ing, or chat.

Edit: And those with higher reps ARE pretty likable and have good/interesting things to say! So it's definitely not just Fe.

Varelse

Wait, what?
MBTI Type
INTJ
I tend to score as having very low Fe, so I doubt such would be associated with any popularity I might have.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Going by rep points doesn't seem to be a good idea -- Targo specifically boosted mine when I teased her about being a rock star, for example.

(Or is popularity/rep being based on other criteria in the OP?)

In any case, Fe can be a positive thing and oftentimes people appreciate experiencing it even when they are not consciously aware that it's being used.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Disclaimer: this isn't about the reputation system! I was just using that as an example. The broader question I'm asking if is there a noticeable difference in popularity between those who have Fe in their dominant four functions (or not), is there a noticeable impact on the forum if this is so, and if we can see any functions operating en masse like this.

Another example: the most popular forum is The Bonfire which is where we have lighthearted chat. I view The Bonfire as essentially a Fe forum. Is it coincidence that it's the most popular subforum, especially since this is an MBTI forum and most members have Fe as at best their auxiliary? There's a beauty forum that I also frequent and there's nothing comparable to The Bonfire, people mostly adhere to the general focus of the forum at large. Please don't latch onto the reputation system as it was just an example.

Alcearos: You can go to member list and sort by reputation. Some members who have high reps disabled their reps. Some of those members are TPs and FJs which I included in my count.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Alcearos: You can go to member list and sort by reputation. Some members who have high reps disabled their reps. Some of those members are TPs and FJs which I included in my count.

Thanks! I'll try.

And I think your observation was very interesting about the Fe! :yes:

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
Some wield the sword better than others, and some simply have more experience with their surroundings.
I noticed that 8 of the top 10 posters with the highest reputations have Fe somewhere in their conscious functions (ENFJ, INFJ, ENTP, ESTP, INTP, ISTP). As much as people say Fe annoys them, it seems to work quite well on the forum and it's paying off.

Hmm... this reads kind of strange. Wouldn't it be predominantly Fe who approves of Fe? And when it does, wouldn't Fe boost Fe's reputation? Parabola!
And how would that tell us anything about the stance of other, non-Fe posters? Maybe they are snickering in silence, or maybe they are "hmph!"ing at the monitor - I'm not, though I think I do have Fe (more than Fi, at any rate) :) - in addition to a subgroup who plays along with the repping! I'm assuming things here, but given the thread's idea, I think that's okay.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

I think it's been positive and negative. There's been some drama at times on one hand, but on the other it's been fairly openly dealt with rather than just building and building.

Also, I think many people have bad impressions of Fe because people tend to notice it mostly when it's used badly or selfishly. I think it's best used when it goes unnoticed/invisible, since the point of it is to facilitate comfort and communication seamlessly.

I have definitely noticed a slight tendency for people with Fe/Ti conscious (You can't have one without the other functionally) to make one kind of judgment, and for those with Te/Fi to make another kind.

They both seem to give off "vibes" towards different principles of how decisions should be made.

My guess is that people are actually more frustrated by their "shadow" at times because they (on some level) recognize their own mental process being used to an end they don't want.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do believe that Fe people are more popular.
They have strong empathy combined with a desire for social harmony, which is guaranteed to make them more likeable people.
If you look at Enneagram correlations, you'll see that Twos are most likely to be Extraverted Feelers, and you probably already know that Twos are the best at making people like them. That aside, EFJ often gets type Three and EFP often gets Sevens.
EF's just tend to be the most appealing kinds of people. It is in their very nature.

I personally have never considered it negative.
I've openly said that I feel an affinity toward Fe, and will probably wind-up with an EF mate.

ygolo

My termites win

It really depends on the distribution of people on this forum, the number of times they've posted since the reputation system was in-acted, and various "trades" of reputation points given.

As has been pointed out before, who has strong Fe is not necessarily easy to tell from the type. But I think you were referring to the "lasagna" model.

So you can divide the types into twp groups:
With Fe in top 4 from lasagna model: ESFJ, ENFJ, ISFJ, INFJ, ESTP, ENTP, ISTP, INTP
With Fe not in top 4 in lasagna model:ISFP, INFP, ESFP, ENFP, ISTJ, INTJ, ESTJ, ENTJ

IMO, the top group forms a bigger section of our forum than the bottom. We could count using self reported types, or by the poll, or the survey to get a semi-accurate number.

With above caveats (and many more I haven't mentioned), I will attempt once again to do math in public:

For now, lets us call the fraction of the group with Fe in the top-4 of the lasagna model, F.

Let us represent a person symbolically by "f" if they fall in the top group, "t" if they fall in the bottom.

Then if we choose 10 people, we will have something like:

fttftffft

The probability of finding that particular (order dependent) selection of people
is given by F^<number of f's in the pattern>*(1-F)^<number of t's in the pattern>

The probability that any 8 of a random sampling of 10 people on the forum is in the top group ("f") is given by:

<the number of different patterns with 8 f's and 2 t's>*F^8*(1-F)^2=
(10 choose 8)*F^8*(1-F)^2=45*F^8*(1-F)^2

If we say F=0.6. Then the probability is 45*(0.6)^8*(0.4)^2=12% roughly that we would have exactly 8 members.

But I suppose you wanted to know what the chance of finding 8 or more is.

You could add up the chances of finding 9 and 10 to the list.

So we would add: 45*(0.6)^8*(0.4)^2+10*(0.6)^9*(0.4)+(0.6)^10=12%+4%+0.6%=17% roughly

But of course if F=0.8
45*(0.8)^8*(0.2)^2+10*(0.8)^9*(0.2)+(0.8)^10=30%+27%+11%=68% roughly

The expected number of people in the top ten would be F*10.

Hope that makes sense. I'm too lazy to actually do the counting.

heart

heart on fire
Isn't it too that Fe would care more about doing what it takes to become popular? Just curious what others think about that.