• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fe and Popularity

ygolo

My termites win
In case people are curious, here are our most popular members.

Looking at the list. I think it is a matter of forum network dynamics. Many of these members have been chatting it up among themselves on their respective blogs.

I think it is also a matter of who is encouraging who, as well as the posts that people like.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I do believe that Fe people are more popular.
They have strong empathy combined with a desire for social harmony, which is guaranteed to make them more likeable people.
EF's just tend to be the most appealing kinds of people. It is in their very nature.

I personally have never considered it negative. ...

Good post! I agree with it. I like Fe even if I'm Fi. It's appealing and Fe's are comfortably warm people & affirming. I usually like the feeling they give me when I'm around them. :)

I really like Fe-people as friends but I wouldn't date one because that would be too much F around! And actually I have husband with very strong Ti. :)

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
In case people are curious, here are our most popular members.

Looking at the list. I think it is a matter of forum network dynamics. Many of these members have been chatting it up among themselves on their respective blogs.

I think it is also a matter of who is encouraging who, as well as the posts that people like.
That's pretty much been my sentiment too, and it's diminishing the value of the reputation, altho it does have some redeeming qualities.

So what follows is an essay, with the point that rep system is much like an early search engine algorithm, and we can learn from the comparison.

I've read about how google ranks the pages.. incoming links are taken into consideration to form a score of a page's significance, but the quality of the links are being considered too.

Google recognizes link farms and other mass linking that is not indicative of the page's relevance to the search words been queried.

Then again, their proprietary search algorithm is quite large, considering the 300+ parameters they take into account when calculating the quality of each link, or "+rep of internet pages", as I might say.. not to mention, expensive.

It is well beyond the capabilities of any small programming team, but it works well to remove the chances for google abuse. Giving reputation is very similar to google page ranking in many, but not all respects. We may not hope to approach the level of accuracy and relevance of google's page rankings, as their approach requires a large amount of highly reputed links to feed their data mining algorithms.

So, we'll have "distorted" rep values, something that some people might reasonably consider as abuse, or at best, suboptimal and inaccurate.

Then again, qualifiers "abuse" and "distortions" only apply if this is reputation is something to be cared about. Sadly, I feel compelled to care about it, but not due to reputation per se, but due to it's unavoidable consequences.

Google is pretty much to be thanked for for the good web content we have today. It's anti-abuse features have discouraged the use of spurious linking tactics and other forms of "cheat", some of which were quite prevalent in the early days of the WWW.

Remember web pages, that had just few keywords listed 1000 times, filled with links to commercial sites you couldn't care less about? It's google's good search algorithms that put end to this abusive behaviour.

My educated guess is that we will encounter some disruptive rep-seeking behaviour if people continue to see high reps as something desirable. This is something we'll learn to handle (as we have already partly learned), but we'll continue to enjoy the forum nevertheless, albeit it'll be a bit different.

On the positive side, early (easily cheatable) search engines encouraged good web content, too. We are much more coherent a bunch than the whole world wide web, and we're writing good stuff for each other. Rep undeniably has positive, noticeable effects as well.

Things are just a bit different now. I think it requires a bit more juggling in this new scenario, but it's been fun so far, and gladly there's no end in sight :D

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
As much as this hardcore Ti stuff is a little overwhelming, it's EXACTLY what I wanted.

Thanks pt, ygolo, santtu, and economica!

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well... I wouldn't say Fe is big on my list of most used functions, though Ne can often compensate for lack of it and also be confused for it.

Much of my reputation has come from certain people giving me lots of points at a time "because I like you" or because they seem to want to include me in a social circle of sorts, and so if they see me falling behind, they look up my posts and just click, click, click the rep thing. Having said that, I've also earned a lot of points through people reading and appreciating my actual post contents. But you could equally say that the people who just "like me" do so because of my post content, generally, so either way it's earned.

As to whether Fe is positive or negative on this board or anywhere else on the Internet, I'd have to go with positive, but no more or less so than any other function. Simply because I believe in diversity being a strength, a good thing, without which things tend to degenerate into mob-think and before you know it we're wearing white hoods and burning crosses... um, sorta.

So I'd always rather include something, than exclude it, in general.

However, thinking about the nature of Fe and what it does, it's a very powerful function in that it can ascertain a person's emotions, perhaps even when that person isn't even aware of them themselves, and then respond to/manipulate them in ways which leave little room for manoeuvre. This could result, if it's used badly, in alienating people with strong value/personal attacks, frightening them off from saying anything.

This brings to mind for me female style school bullying. The main difference between female and male bullying is that male bullying tends to be Te driven, whilst female bullying is Fe driven. Whilst the boys will generally leave you alone after they've let you know in a very obvious (physical) way that they don't like you, the girls will never, ever leave you alone, and will not rest until they've verbally pummelled every last bit of self-esteem out of you, to make you think of yourself as a pathetic loser, a person nobody could possibly like, and to ensure that nobody else likes you either.

This might also be a side effect of the boys' bullying, but it's not intended and often if the boys are made aware of the damage they've done to the victim, they feel guilty about it and often apologize and want to make amends. But I think that with the girl bullying it is intended, and if the subject is raised, they believe themselves to be fully justified in what they've done. (this comes from my experience and may not be universal)

In my experience, the female bullies were known as the popular ones in the school or workplace. That is, they thought of themselves as popular. But it wasn't true popularity; in reality, people were just terrified of them, and of being their next target, and so generally didn't express openly their true opinions of them. And if anybody did, the bullies' Fe could easily spin it to look like that person was just bitter or mean or stupid or whatever, so that nobody would take them seriously and nobody would openly back them up, even if privately they wanted to.

Obviously this can translate into internet forum culture as well... so... whilst I'd say that a healthy and positive manifestation of any function, including Fe, is very welcome and a positive contribution to anything, there are always the possibilities of not so positive uses of it coming in.

I wouldn't say that mature, adult ExFJ's though are the main culprits for this. In the main, their use of Fe, as it's their dominant function, tends to be more positive, as they're more aware. Well, here anyway. I think that in adulthood, the danger of Fe abuse comes more from those of us who have it as a tertiary, shadow or inferior function, where we're not always aware we're using it, and when using it, often don't use it correctly.

The footprints of inferior Fe at its worst can be seen all over INTPc, where very negative and oppressive vibes can often run rampant all over the forums, where everyone's in the grips of it but nobody's aware of it and they're all denying it. They're being mean spirited and rude and self-righteous but all the time convinced that it's pure logic and reason that they're acting under. Of course it's not always like that, but situations like that often do spring up, which I think illustrate the negative impact that bad Fe can have.

I think though, that an ExFJ forum wouldn't be that way. I've never visited one, but I can imagine what it'd be like from thinking about my relatives at a family gathering - most of my aunts and sisters (and I have many) are ExFJ and when they get together it's usually very warm and pleasant and welcoming. That's the difference to me, of good Fe and bad Fe.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Very good point Sub! ;)

Fe is my tertiary function- certainly not primary- and I'm kind of annoyed to be brought into this whole popularity thing because I TURNED OFF MY REP SYSTEM FOR A REASON! It's for your own good! I'm horribly competitive and it's my way of making sure that I stay reigned in and don't do anything truly obnoxious or anything! :cry: I love the social aspect- and I have nothing against anyone who uses it- the black box is just a reminder to me to stay nice! ;) I know my weaknesses and don't want to fall to them! :)

Yes, Fe might be a good or evil function, just like any other- my primary function is Se, and I use that a hell of a lot more to be able to notice what's going on around and what everyone is typing in each and every thread- I try to keep things going and keep people feeling welcome because it keeps the site more interesting and therefore gives me more stimuli to watch! :)

I'm sorry, but I'm just really offended that I got clumped in on this since I try to avoid arguments on what appears to be the latent issue of discussion by some people here :cry: my shillelagh arm is tired from dead horse beating yesterday and I really don't feel like having to beat another today! :boohoo:

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
People! This is not about condemning anyone about the reputation system. Can't the rep system be mentioned without everyone turning all self-conscious? One of the questions I asked is if Fe users (as Heart pointed out) would be more likely to use the reputation system for whatever reasons. Please stop focusing on that one aspect of several questions. This was not some undercover swipe at the higher ranked posters. Your skirts are not tucked into your underwear. Good grief.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Um, I didn't think it was? My explanation of my reputation was meant by way of answering all of the questions, in that many of the points I've received have been for Ne/Ti driven posts, suggesting that it isn't just Fe that earns popularity. And explaining that Ne can function in some similar ways to Fe. I wasn't trying to defend my reputation because I'm pretty indifferent to it. I was kinda explaining it and correlating it with the OP's questions, to use it to answer them. It's all I can do since obviously I don't know what points other people have got or what for.

And the rest of my post had nothing to do with the rep system :)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Note to self: Do not mention the Rep System as the criteria for choosing the most "Fe" oriented people on the forum, because people will focus on that, especially when the question itself is so broad:

Would people say the use of Fe here at MBTIc is negative? Positive?

Yes, and yes. Sometimes Fe (I think) is used to control behavior or for someone to get their way, or try to; it can be used to shout down someone's opinion (because it labels the dissenter's ideas as "inappropriate" -- which might or might not be true).

And sometimes Fe is used to smooth things out and patch things up, or to accommodate other viewpoints and be respectful.

We are all imperfect people, so Fe sometimes ends up being a pain and other times being helpful. It is just par for the course for any function.

Are there any collective manifestations of other functions on the forum?

I think Fe is one of the more obvious functions in use here. There are a few Ti style conversations that spring up from time to time, but the general mood of this forum is more casual. It's more important [this is a statement, not a criticism] for everyone to be able to state their opinion, rather than to arrive at some definitive analysis. This could be partly an Ni thing as well.

There is a lot of playful Ne style joking going on, daily, around the forum.

I don't think Se is represented much, mostly because of the medium.

Si shows up more in entrenched viewpoints of right and wrong, proper or improper. It also shows up in nostalgic conversations.

But predominately, I would say Fe and Ne are the two most prominent functions here.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:blush: sorry- I was just responding to some other posts- I don't like to feel insulted and not get to respond! :laugh:

and just picture the sadness of not getting to let my Se shine as much as it should! :sad: I have to use Fe more here than in real life because it's a closer connection to everyone else here than my dominant function is! :cry:

mysavior

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IT
It doesn't matter where you are, or what you are doing. Popularity works the same way, everytime.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think Se is represented much, mostly because of the medium.

If you find my Se anywhere, lemme know! :D *laughs* I seem to have left it in my other pants... :doh:

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It doesn't matter where you are, or what you are doing. Popularity works the same way, everytime.

I don't know that I agree with this assessment. I was never a popular kid in school. I had friends and a social network that spread pretty diffusively, but I was considered to be part of the punk/fringe underbelly of the school. I was persecuted horribly for years. Fe didn't do a thing for me then. *shrugs*

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think Fe is one of the more obvious functions in use here. There are a few Ti style conversations that spring up from time to time, but the general mood of this forum is more casual. It's more important [this is a statement, not a criticism] for everyone to be able to state their opinion, rather than to arrive at some definitive analysis. This could be partly an Ni thing as well.

I'm not sure I agree that analyses aren't derived. For me, being able to see everyone expressing their views helps me to distil them and arrive at my own analysis, which I might offer out publicly, which, again, everyone being able to respond to it in their own way helps me to refine it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not sure I agree that analyses aren't derived. For me, being able to see everyone expressing their views helps me to distil them and arrive at my own analysis, which I might offer out publicly, which, again, everyone being able to respond to it in their own way helps me to refine it.

Ah, okay.

So let me explain a little bit more about Ti as primary:

The system fits together "best" one way. Sometimes there are ambiguities. Sometimes logically there is flex in the system, so it's allowed.

But if anything is put into the system that conflicts with another part, and the original part seems "more right" (i.e., fits with all the other pieces), then the new part gets junked. To not junk it reduces the efficiency and accuracy of the system.

Those pieces thus are set on a table nearby, in case they are needed later. (They can't be just thrown out completely, because perhaps at some point a larger chunk of the system might be shown to be wrong, and the original 'bad' piece might actually fit with a revised system.)

In any case, the entire goal is to build the most functional, non-conflicting system. And this is why INTPs sometimes seem argumentative in public forums, because they are first and foremost "system-building" rather than relating/communicating, and they are upset that some contributions people are making conflict with the accuracy of the system.

To socialize, Ti people have to move away from "system building" in conversation and instead take a more exploratory or feelings-based approach.

I see it time and again when IxTP types first start to socialize. They don't know how; what they are really good at is "discussing ideas/systems/knowledge." That is why they get the reputations of being bookworms or geeks. Relating with a function other than Ti is not instinctive. At best they move into Ne in the early stages and "play" with others instead of relating on a feelings level.

My overall point is that this particular approach (Ti) is not the focus of MBTIc. We are more about Fe and Ne (and anything else people have mentioned as prominent).

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
Isn't it too that Fe would care more about doing what it takes to become popular? Just curious what others think about that.

I'll agree with this statement. As a Fe auxillary person, I know that I don't necessarily CARE about being popular in the traditional sense, but I do care about my impression to others. I always like to make a good impression & I enjoy being likeable. If someone sees me as unlikeable, then it does bother me & I'll try to figure out what sort of behavior caused that reaction. I'll usually view that behavior as negative if others react badly to it. Not to say that I feel I am fake or I change myself for people, but I view negative reactions to certain behaviors of mine as ways to improve and grow as a person.

I find this is very different from the two INFPs in my family, who could give a good crap about their impression to others & have the "take me as i am, like me or leave me" sort of attitude. If someone views me negatively, it does bother me a considerable amount & chances are I'll do my best to remedy the negative quality. I'm aware that this could be viewed as compromising who I am in order to please others, but I view it as being exactly who I am because I am constantly growing and improving.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll agree with this statement. As a Fe auxillary person, I know that I don't necessarily CARE about being popular in the traditional sense, but I do care about my impression to others. I always like to make a good impression & I enjoy being likeable. If someone sees me as unlikeable, then it does bother me & I'll try to figure out what sort of behavior caused that reaction. I'll usually view that behavior as negative if others react badly to it. Not to say that I feel I am fake or I change myself for people, but I view negative reactions to certain behaviors of mine as ways to improve and grow as a person.

I find this is very different from the two INFPs in my family, who could give a good crap about their impression to others & have the "take me as i am, like me or leave me" sort of attitude. If someone views me negatively, it does bother me a considerable amount & chances are I'll do my best to remedy the negative quality. I'm aware that this could be viewed as compromising who I am in order to please others, but I view it as being exactly who I am because I am constantly growing and improving.

I can completely relate to this. :yes:

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
My overall point is that this particular approach (Ti) is not the focus of MBTIc. We are more about Fe and Ne (and anything else people have mentioned as prominent).

Okay, but that's kinda inevitable though... whenever and wherever a large group of people of very mixed age, culture, background and psychology are brought together, you're gonna need big dollops of Ne and Fe to keep things harmonious, no?

It's never going to be the case that a random group of mixed people is going to voluntarily spend large amounts of their time together talking about the finer points of calculus or comparing Foucault to Socrates. Cos quite frankly, it's boring! :alttongue:

But the model you offer of what an INTP ideally wants out of a forum doesn't seem to compare too well with what actually happens on INTPc - which is, from where I look, lots of people looking for somewhere to float their malcontent, to show off their intellectual prowess, to bitch about 'normal' people being so meeeeeaaan, and to generally mope. And in the intellectual threads there doesn't seem to be anywhere near as much genuine attempt to arrive at a definitive analysis as there is genuine conviction that they're always right, and they'll prove it by getting the other person to give in, even if only because they've been BORED into submission!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, but that's kinda inevitable though... whenever and wherever a large group of people of very mixed age, culture, background and psychology are brought together, you're gonna need big dollops of Ne and Fe to keep things harmonious, no?

Exactly. "Open forums" that aren't truly focused on a particular issue (or aren't heavily moderated to stick to specific topics) will probably exude a lot of Fe and Ne.

But the model you offer of what an INTP ideally wants out of a forum doesn't seem to compare too well with what actually happens on INTPc - which is, from where I look, lots of people looking for somewhere to float their malcontent, to show off their intellectual prowess, to bitch about 'normal' people being so meeeeeaaan, and to generally mope. And in the intellectual threads there doesn't seem to be anywhere near as much genuine attempt to arrive at a definitive analysis as there is genuine conviction that they're always right, and they'll prove it by getting the other person to give in, even if only because they've been BORED into submission!

Yes -- Ironic, isn't it?

It's basically the INTP version of a social club, using an Fe/Ne language that is disguised as Ti. The members often aren't looking to really hash out ideas, they mostly just want to be heard and feel like they fit in somewhere.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Fe is a harmonizing function. So while it is true that a number of members here detest it so, it truly works as a wonderful tool to understand people's needs, whether that's on an emotionally intuitive level, or a more pragmatic manner. People enjoy feeling heard and understood, and really, how can you hate someone who smiles at you and can be so cordial with you?