User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    IT

It doesn't matter where you are, or what you are doing. Popularity works the same way, everytime.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I don't think Se is represented much, mostly because of the medium.
    If you find my Se anywhere, lemme know! *laughs* I seem to have left it in my other pants...
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by mysavior View Post
    It doesn't matter where you are, or what you are doing. Popularity works the same way, everytime.

I don't know that I agree with this assessment. I was never a popular kid in school. I had friends and a social network that spread pretty diffusively, but I was considered to be part of the punk/fringe underbelly of the school. I was persecuted horribly for years. Fe didn't do a thing for me then. *shrugs*
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    ENTP

I think Fe is one of the more obvious functions in use here. There are a few Ti style conversations that spring up from time to time, but the general mood of this forum is more casual. It's more important [this is a statement, not a criticism] for everyone to be able to state their opinion, rather than to arrive at some definitive analysis. This could be partly an Ni thing as well.
    I'm not sure I agree that analyses aren't derived. For me, being able to see everyone expressing their views helps me to distil them and arrive at my own analysis, which I might offer out publicly, which, again, everyone being able to respond to it in their own way helps me to refine it.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I'm not sure I agree that analyses aren't derived. For me, being able to see everyone expressing their views helps me to distil them and arrive at my own analysis, which I might offer out publicly, which, again, everyone being able to respond to it in their own way helps me to refine it.
    Ah, okay.

So let me explain a little bit more about Ti as primary:

The system fits together "best" one way. Sometimes there are ambiguities. Sometimes logically there is flex in the system, so it's allowed.

But if anything is put into the system that conflicts with another part, and the original part seems "more right" (i.e., fits with all the other pieces), then the new part gets junked. To not junk it reduces the efficiency and accuracy of the system.

Those pieces thus are set on a table nearby, in case they are needed later. (They can't be just thrown out completely, because perhaps at some point a larger chunk of the system might be shown to be wrong, and the original 'bad' piece might actually fit with a revised system.)

In any case, the entire goal is to build the most functional, non-conflicting system. And this is why INTPs sometimes seem argumentative in public forums, because they are first and foremost "system-building" rather than relating/communicating, and they are upset that some contributions people are making conflict with the accuracy of the system.

To socialize, Ti people have to move away from "system building" in conversation and instead take a more exploratory or feelings-based approach.

I see it time and again when IxTP types first start to socialize. They don't know how; what they are really good at is "discussing ideas/systems/knowledge." That is why they get the reputations of being bookworms or geeks. Relating with a function other than Ti is not instinctive. At best they move into Ne in the early stages and "play" with others instead of relating on a feelings level.

My overall point is that this particular approach (Ti) is not the focus of MBTIc. We are more about Fe and Ne (and anything else people have mentioned as prominent).
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Isn't it too that Fe would care more about doing what it takes to become popular? Just curious what others think about that.
    I'll agree with this statement. As a Fe auxillary person, I know that I don't necessarily CARE about being popular in the traditional sense, but I do care about my impression to others. I always like to make a good impression & I enjoy being likeable. If someone sees me as unlikeable, then it does bother me & I'll try to figure out what sort of behavior caused that reaction. I'll usually view that behavior as negative if others react badly to it. Not to say that I feel I am fake or I change myself for people, but I view negative reactions to certain behaviors of mine as ways to improve and grow as a person.

I find this is very different from the two INFPs in my family, who could give a good crap about their impression to others & have the "take me as i am, like me or leave me" sort of attitude. If someone views me negatively, it does bother me a considerable amount & chances are I'll do my best to remedy the negative quality. I'm aware that this could be viewed as compromising who I am in order to please others, but I view it as being exactly who I am because I am constantly growing and improving.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by quietgirl View Post
    I'll agree with this statement. As a Fe auxillary person, I know that I don't necessarily CARE about being popular in the traditional sense, but I do care about my impression to others. I always like to make a good impression & I enjoy being likeable. If someone sees me as unlikeable, then it does bother me & I'll try to figure out what sort of behavior caused that reaction. I'll usually view that behavior as negative if others react badly to it. Not to say that I feel I am fake or I change myself for people, but I view negative reactions to certain behaviors of mine as ways to improve and grow as a person.

I find this is very different from the two INFPs in my family, who could give a good crap about their impression to others & have the "take me as i am, like me or leave me" sort of attitude. If someone views me negatively, it does bother me a considerable amount & chances are I'll do my best to remedy the negative quality. I'm aware that this could be viewed as compromising who I am in order to please others, but I view it as being exactly who I am because I am constantly growing and improving.
    I can completely relate to this.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    ENTP

My overall point is that this particular approach (Ti) is not the focus of MBTIc. We are more about Fe and Ne (and anything else people have mentioned as prominent).
    Okay, but that's kinda inevitable though... whenever and wherever a large group of people of very mixed age, culture, background and psychology are brought together, you're gonna need big dollops of Ne and Fe to keep things harmonious, no?

It's never going to be the case that a random group of mixed people is going to voluntarily spend large amounts of their time together talking about the finer points of calculus or comparing Foucault to Socrates. Cos quite frankly, it's boring!

But the model you offer of what an INTP ideally wants out of a forum doesn't seem to compare too well with what actually happens on INTPc - which is, from where I look, lots of people looking for somewhere to float their malcontent, to show off their intellectual prowess, to bitch about 'normal' people being so meeeeeaaan, and to generally mope. And in the intellectual threads there doesn't seem to be anywhere near as much genuine attempt to arrive at a definitive analysis as there is genuine conviction that they're always right, and they'll prove it by getting the other person to give in, even if only because they've been BORED into submission!
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Okay, but that's kinda inevitable though... whenever and wherever a large group of people of very mixed age, culture, background and psychology are brought together, you're gonna need big dollops of Ne and Fe to keep things harmonious, no?
    Exactly. "Open forums" that aren't truly focused on a particular issue (or aren't heavily moderated to stick to specific topics) will probably exude a lot of Fe and Ne.

But the model you offer of what an INTP ideally wants out of a forum doesn't seem to compare too well with what actually happens on INTPc - which is, from where I look, lots of people looking for somewhere to float their malcontent, to show off their intellectual prowess, to bitch about 'normal' people being so meeeeeaaan, and to generally mope. And in the intellectual threads there doesn't seem to be anywhere near as much genuine attempt to arrive at a definitive analysis as there is genuine conviction that they're always right, and they'll prove it by getting the other person to give in, even if only because they've been BORED into submission!
    Yes -- Ironic, isn't it?

It's basically the INTP version of a social club, using an Fe/Ne language that is disguised as Ti. The members often aren't looking to really hash out ideas, they mostly just want to be heard and feel like they fit in somewhere.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    947 so/sx

Fe is a harmonizing function. So while it is true that a number of members here detest it so, it truly works as a wonderful tool to understand people's needs, whether that's on an emotionally intuitive level, or a more pragmatic manner. People enjoy feeling heard and understood, and really, how can you hate someone who smiles at you and can be so cordial with you?
    I'll follow her into the depths
    I'll find warmth in the steel of her glare
    I'll hear music in the darkness of her silence
    Don't leave me there.