First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I noticed that 8 of the top 10 posters with the highest reputations have Fe somewhere in their conscious functions (ENFJ, INFJ, ENTP, ESTP, INTP, ISTP).
    Who are those people?

MBTI
    INTJ

I tend to score as having very low Fe, so I doubt such would be associated with any popularity I might have.
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Going by rep points doesn't seem to be a good idea -- Targo specifically boosted mine when I teased her about being a rock star, for example.

(Or is popularity/rep being based on other criteria in the OP?)

In any case, Fe can be a positive thing and oftentimes people appreciate experiencing it even when they are not consciously aware that it's being used.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    1w2

Disclaimer: this isn't about the reputation system! I was just using that as an example. The broader question I'm asking if is there a noticeable difference in popularity between those who have Fe in their dominant four functions (or not), is there a noticeable impact on the forum if this is so, and if we can see any functions operating en masse like this.

Another example: the most popular forum is The Bonfire which is where we have lighthearted chat. I view The Bonfire as essentially a Fe forum. Is it coincidence that it's the most popular subforum, especially since this is an MBTI forum and most members have Fe as at best their auxiliary? There's a beauty forum that I also frequent and there's nothing comparable to The Bonfire, people mostly adhere to the general focus of the forum at large. Please don't latch onto the reputation system as it was just an example.

Alcearos: You can go to member list and sort by reputation. Some members who have high reps disabled their reps. Some of those members are TPs and FJs which I included in my count.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Alcearos: You can go to member list and sort by reputation. Some members who have high reps disabled their reps. Some of those members are TPs and FJs which I included in my count.
    Thanks! I'll try.

And I think your observation was very interesting about the Fe!

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Some wield the sword better than others, and some simply have more experience with their surroundings.
    I noticed that 8 of the top 10 posters with the highest reputations have Fe somewhere in their conscious functions (ENFJ, INFJ, ENTP, ESTP, INTP, ISTP). As much as people say Fe annoys them, it seems to work quite well on the forum and it's paying off.
    Hmm... this reads kind of strange. Wouldn't it be predominantly Fe who approves of Fe? And when it does, wouldn't Fe boost Fe's reputation? Parabola!
    And how would that tell us anything about the stance of other, non-Fe posters? Maybe they are snickering in silence, or maybe they are "hmph!"ing at the monitor - I'm not, though I think I do have Fe (more than Fi, at any rate) :) - in addition to a subgroup who plays along with the repping! I'm assuming things here, but given the thread's idea, I think that's okay.
    Not really.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

This is something I noticed recently and I wonder if it means anything or not. For some of the more mathematically inclined (pt? economica? ygolo?) is this higher than chance?

I noticed that 8 of the top 10 posters with the highest reputations have Fe somewhere in their conscious functions (ENFJ, INFJ, ENTP, ESTP, INTP, ISTP). As much as people say Fe annoys them, it seems to work quite well on the forum and it's paying off. This isn't about the reputation system, just about the use of Fe on the forum (birthday threads, baby threads, meetup threads, etc.).

Would people say the use of Fe here at MBTIc is negative? Positive? Are there any collective manifestations of other functions on the forum?
    I think it's been positive and negative. There's been some drama at times on one hand, but on the other it's been fairly openly dealt with rather than just building and building.

Also, I think many people have bad impressions of Fe because people tend to notice it mostly when it's used badly or selfishly. I think it's best used when it goes unnoticed/invisible, since the point of it is to facilitate comfort and communication seamlessly.

I have definitely noticed a slight tendency for people with Fe/Ti conscious (You can't have one without the other functionally) to make one kind of judgment, and for those with Te/Fi to make another kind.

They both seem to give off "vibes" towards different principles of how decisions should be made.

My guess is that people are actually more frustrated by their "shadow" at times because they (on some level) recognize their own mental process being used to an end they don't want.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I do believe that Fe people are more popular.
    They have strong empathy combined with a desire for social harmony, which is guaranteed to make them more likeable people.
    If you look at Enneagram correlations, you'll see that Twos are most likely to be Extraverted Feelers, and you probably already know that Twos are the best at making people like them. That aside, EFJ often gets type Three and EFP often gets Sevens.
    EF's just tend to be the most appealing kinds of people. It is in their very nature.

I personally have never considered it negative.
    I've openly said that I feel an affinity toward Fe, and will probably wind-up with an EF mate.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

This is something I noticed recently and I wonder if it means anything or not. For some of the more mathematically inclined (pt? economica? ygolo?) is this higher than chance?
    It really depends on the distribution of people on this forum, the number of times they've posted since the reputation system was in-acted, and various "trades" of reputation points given.

As has been pointed out before, who has strong Fe is not necessarily easy to tell from the type. But I think you were referring to the "lasagna" model.

So you can divide the types into twp groups:
    With Fe in top 4 from lasagna model: ESFJ, ENFJ, ISFJ, INFJ, ESTP, ENTP, ISTP, INTP
    With Fe not in top 4 in lasagna model:ISFP, INFP, ESFP, ENFP, ISTJ, INTJ, ESTJ, ENTJ

IMO, the top group forms a bigger section of our forum than the bottom. We could count using self reported types, or by the poll, or the survey to get a semi-accurate number.

With above caveats (and many more I haven't mentioned), I will attempt once again to do math in public:

For now, lets us call the fraction of the group with Fe in the top-4 of the lasagna model, F.

Let us represent a person symbolically by "f" if they fall in the top group, "t" if they fall in the bottom.

Then if we choose 10 people, we will have something like:

fttftffft

The probability of finding that particular (order dependent) selection of people
    is given by F^<number of f's in the pattern>*(1-F)^<number of t's in the pattern>

The probability that any 8 of a random sampling of 10 people on the forum is in the top group ("f") is given by:

<the number of different patterns with 8 f's and 2 t's>*F^8*(1-F)^2=
    (10 choose 8)*F^8*(1-F)^2=45*F^8*(1-F)^2

If we say F=0.6. Then the probability is 45*(0.6)^8*(0.4)^2=12% roughly that we would have exactly 8 members.

But I suppose you wanted to know what the chance of finding 8 or more is.

You could add up the chances of finding 9 and 10 to the list.

So we would add: 45*(0.6)^8*(0.4)^2+10*(0.6)^9*(0.4)+(0.6)^10=12%+4 %+0.6%=17% roughly

But of course if F=0.8
    45*(0.8)^8*(0.2)^2+10*(0.8)^9*(0.2)+(0.8)^10=30%+2 7%+11%=68% roughly

The expected number of people in the top ten would be F*10.

Hope that makes sense. I'm too lazy to actually do the counting.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

heart on fire

Isn't it too that Fe would care more about doing what it takes to become popular? Just curious what others think about that.