• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Concrete examples of functions

streetlightfancy

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Sorry if this is a lot to ask for, but can someone break it down for me with some examples please? Like maybe your own personal experiences using them? It would be a big help, thanks!

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I'd use Starcraft 2 as an example, but it invokes 6 of the 8 functions throughout the entire game. It's crazy.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sorry if this is a lot to ask for, but can someone break it down for me with some examples please? Like maybe your own personal experiences using them? It would be a big help, thanks!
Ti, Te and Si I use plenty on this forum. It's what I argue with 90% of the time (though with a little Fe, Fi and Ne thrown in there to make it more amenable :D). Ne I use most to invent a clever way to get out of tight spots -- for example, once when I was late turning in an assignment I told the teacher that I'd been doing it but then the campus computer shut off (someone kicked the plug) and I'd lost all my work. Fe is manifested in my tendency to go along with my friends' opinions. Fi happens sometimes when I throw hissy fits about not getting what I want, but it's somewhat rare. Ni, I... don't use at all I think. :laugh:.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Please do elaborate if you wouldn't mind being so bold.

I'll have a go at it. I'll start off with my two functions:

Si - This function prevails for prior starcraft players in one way, compared to others. Si will use the methods of gameplay from the previous game to provide aid in how to create an effective army in the new game. Similarity provides knowledge about the present. Also, Si will focus on the predictable elements of the game, taking note of things that happen over and over again that can become reliable.

Te - Te is used to create a preliminary strategy for a future battle. Which parts of the battle are predictable? What is the relative usefulness of each unit, structure and hero? What are the pros and cons of each unit in the battle? Placement of troops, stationary buildings, building orders all factor in how the battle is known to play out and creates a strategy accordingly.

Ne - Used to guess things about your opponent or the environment. For example, a small one, you start out a battle against someone. This isn't realistic, but 3 minutes into the fight, you have a squad of marines and a siege tank. What does that mean? They've built at least a factory, and gathered enough resources to build a siege tank. What could that also mean? They've focused a lot on building that siege tank, so their base could be relatively defenseless.

Ni - Creates possibilities within the map as you're playing. Creates what if scenarios about strategies. Te will step in and analyze effectiveness, create strategies, but Ni takes it to a new level. An example of Ni for me was in a defense map. My base had 2 entrances. I was doing it on hard mode and had to destroy 4 enemy structures while defending.

Defending both kept resulting in failure. Then, it hit me. Move back and defend the base from the main entrance rather than 2 forward entrances. Ni provided insight into an alternate way to look at the mission leading to success.

Se - Se is a go with the flow function. Te creates a plan, and then the plan fails. What happens? Si and Ni fall apart as they have to regroup and create a new plan. This is what is hurting me trying to do a mission on hard right now. I'll spend 10-20 minutes going over the mission in my head, creating plans and sequences. Then I get in the middle of a fight, and something unexpected happens, a wave of enemies I didn't foresee comes that I'm not prepared for.

Like I said, Si, Ni, and Te need time to regroup. Se says to stay on front line, and move along with the fight. Get in the thick of the battle, throw the plans to the curb and keep going.

Ti - In the above situation, Se is moving along with the mayhem of the fight, but it needs the perceptual judgment of introverted thinking. If you have a wave of air units coming toward you, then you need a quick judgment on the best unit to attack for that given moment.

Te gives orders for a squad of units to rush toward a base. Te creates a plan of what to attack first when you reach the base. Halfway to the base, another enemy squad of units attacks you. Te's plan is down the drain. Ti jumps in, gauges your troops against the new squad of enemies, and decides how to handle the situation.