12 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Default S vs. N daydreaming

No stereotypes, please. "N's daydream their life away" or "S's don't daydream" or such. What are different types daydreams like?

I find that for myself, daydreaming about the past can be kind of depressing... If it's a happy memory, it's all in my head and will never happen again. If it's a sad memory, hopefully I have learned from it but otherwise is useless to me. Daydreaming about something that may happen in the near future is more positive and happy. I don't understand people who daydream about things that are impossible for the foreseeable future. Often times, when I am daydreaming, it means that there is something wrong with the present moment and that I want something else, but the daydream still stays in some kind of realm of current possibility.

I take it other types will feel differently.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Whenever I sort of "zone out" and retreat into my own mind... Generally I am running through past or future situations. For example, Ill run through something that happened in the past and think about how it could have been different if I had done something else. Or I'll think about something that is about to happen and contemplate what to say, what their responses might be, what I would do/say in the event that each of those responses occurs.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    INTP

My daydreams are fairly evenly split between my falling in love and running away with someone under the unlikeliest circumstances and having absolute power and using it to bend the world to my inhuman vision.

I used to have more romantic/sentimental daydreams, but they never served me well (they would tend to inspire me to act on something when I shouldn't have). Reality is more complicated, so I try to control it/change the subject somewhat now.

Global/power dreams like the guy above, but I wouldn't say they were inhumane.. most are kind of reforming or moralistic in nature. I guess it'd begin with some things upsetting me, and my mind will turn them into bigger or global issues.

Situations where I'm getting sort of held back or punked out in real life (but maybe someone else too), and I start daydreaming a little on the possible consequences of letting it continue. It usually helps me find a better way to treat the real situation.

edited

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I don't understand people who daydream about things that are impossible for the foreseeable future.
    What else is daydreaming for? The past? That's remembering, not daydreaming. To me, daydreaming is either about the future or about something totally impossible.

I remember quite vividly a discussion with a friend. She confessed to me she daydreamed often.
    "In my daydreams I can be whoever I want. I can be a succesful singer or marry a nice man."
    I was disappointed. Singer? Marrying? What's interesting about that? You could be daydreaming about being a time traveler or about teaching the orks of Middle-Earth how to love!

Sometimes my daydreams are indeed of the "realistic" variety. Mostly that's when something is about to happen to me. When the date of my wedding was set and the preparations in full swing, yes, then I did daydream about my wedding.

Both the unrealistic and the realistic ones have an element of adventure in them, an element of conflict. I'd never daydream about the ideal wedding. That would be boring.

The stories I'm writing are essentially my unrealistic daydreams. I pick and choose elements from my daydreams to build a story around them. Conversely, when writing, I try to daydream about the story.

I have always had the impression that you should do something with your excess brainpower. Why stop thinking when you're doing boring manual work? Why worrying about the future or about your looks? Daydreaming isn't productive(*) but it doesn't hurt either and it's fun to do.

(*) Except for writers.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

i like daydreaming about fantasy stuff, crazy idealistic worlds and exciting adventures and epic situations. adding on to / reinterpreting familiar stories is fun, too. i enjoy all the sensory aspects of the daydream that i would not get to experience otherwise - the warmth of the sun, the lush green of a forest, the wind rustling through my hair as my convertible whips around a corner.

i also like diving back into good memories, like ceremonies i really enjoyed or experiences while travelling. i don't revisit sad memories unless i have a specific reason to, and even then, for very short periods of time.

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet
    I don't understand people who daydream about things that are impossible for the foreseeable future.
    two reasons:
    1. because even if it seems impossible in the forseeable future, if i ever want it to happen, i'd better start forseeing it anyway
    2. when else am i gonna get to experience it? like living in another time period or something, it's just never going to happen. so it's fun to play around with in my head sometimes.

^I like fantasy worlds too, but I tend to just borrow the work of N's.. I'll read books, play games, watch certain types of movies.. I'm not quite as good at coming up with all of it myself though. Especially the "world" parts. I'm better at creating characters. A lot of my ideas might center around more on personality or something. I like creating comic or rpg characters (in drawing or in games), and I used to go a little to acting workshops. Maybe there's something I find easier about characters, they're anchored on both real and imaginative (or we could this in ourselves too). That appeals to me.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    No stereotypes, please. "N's daydream their life away" or "S's don't daydream" or such. What are different types daydreams like?

I find that for myself, daydreaming about the past can be kind of depressing... If it's a happy memory, it's all in my head and will never happen again. If it's a sad memory, hopefully I have learned from it but otherwise is useless to me. Daydreaming about something that may happen in the near future is more positive and happy. I don't understand people who daydream about things that are impossible for the foreseeable future. Often times, when I am daydreaming, it means that there is something wrong with the present moment and that I want something else, but the daydream still stays in some kind of realm of current possibility.

I take it other types will feel differently.
    Exactly.
    And well put.

A minor fault. Possibility does not current.

I don't daydream much, I think about stuff a lot. But I don't daydream.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I don't daydream much, I think about stuff a lot. But I don't daydream.
    Possibility is beyond the stuff. Otherwise it would not be the possibility.