User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which of the following describes you best?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm not very satisfied with the MBTI, and I am uncertain of my type.

2 3.77%
  • I'm not very satisfied with the MBTI, and I am somewhat certain of my own type.

3 5.66%
  • I'm not very satisfied with the MBTI, and I am quite certain of my own type.

4 7.55%
  • I'm quite satisfied with the MBTI, and I am uncertain of my type.

3 5.66%
  • I'm quite satisfied with the MBTI, and I am somewhat certain of my own type.

7 13.21%
  • I'm quite satisfied with the MBTI, and I am quite certain of my own type.

23 43.40%
  • I'm very satisfied with MBTI, and I am uncertain of my type.

1 1.89%
  • I'm very satisfied with the MBTI, and I am somewhat certain of my own type.

1 1.89%
  • I'm very satisfied with the MBTI, and I am quite certain of my own type.

9 16.98%
First 123 Last

L'anima non dimora Donna Cecilia's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    LII

Even preferences, I know. Still, I think that each one has a dominant process that comes naturally, despite being able to use another functions.

I notice that when my dominant function can´t help me solve a particular problem, which happens frequently when information is missing.

I have to make use of intuitive thinking to "fill in the blanks", by trying to look at the situation from different angles (thinking about possible scenarios that may unfold from what I know, or the ways that it can fit into the present context; which are not presented in the information I have, that´s why I call them "blanks"). And I can do so without any difficulty, even to the point of enjoying it sometimes.

But, I know that does not mean I am "mistyped", or creates a "type confusion" in my head. I know that of all mental processes, the first one that I naturally reach for in everyday life is my dominant. If it fails to help me, I have no problem in using intuition.

"An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise."
    Victor Hugo

LII/INTj (Analyst) - 1w9 Sp/Sx - RC|O|EI - Melancholy/Choleric

garbage

Welp, if dichotomies bimodal distributions, MBTI would actually suffice as a typology tool. As it stands, either (a) the average person really has no clear preference, (b) tests don't measure them very well, or (c) there's a better or more refined set of dichotomies out there.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

DC - ok, I accept that having relatively even preferences doesn't guarantee type confusion. I was wondering if people most want the MBTI to classify them, and if it fails, they deem the MBTI failed. It's an instrument, it's supposed to measure..

I'm curious of how much importance people place on the accuracy of the instrument, and how important people hold that the instrument accurately measures them.

Bologna, the lack of bimodal distribution is a big problem of the instrument. It might work ok if it produced some type-centered clustered in more dimensions. Nevertheless, normally distributed parameters - like in IQ - still matter.

When people speak of intelligence, they don't seem to make a great distinction between people of over and under 100 IQ. They mostly seem to treat the average as one group, and people of differing intelligence with varying accuracy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI is a good starting point for delving further into Jungian cognitive functions and theories.

L'anima non dimora Donna Cecilia's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    MBTI is a good starting point for delving further into Jungian cognitive functions and theories.

True for me.

"An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise."
    Victor Hugo

LII/INTj (Analyst) - 1w9 Sp/Sx - RC|O|EI - Melancholy/Choleric

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    Bologna, the lack of bimodal distribution is a big problem of the instrument. It might work ok if it produced some type-centered clustered in more dimensions. Nevertheless, normally distributed parameters - like in IQ - still matter.

When people speak of intelligence, they don't seem to make a great distinction between people of over and under 100 IQ. They mostly seem to treat the average as one group, and people of differing intelligence with varying accuracy.
    Normally distributed parameters definitely matter, for sure. But if they are normally distributed, people should treat them as such, rather than assuming that there are pure hardline dichotomies, categories, and functions.

It's just much, much more elegant for the theory to assume that dichotomies are bimodal.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Well, it would be better for the theory yes - but then, normal distribution could best justify a 3-level preference, the middle being "no preference".

I think it would make a fine system.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    Well, it would be better for the theory yes - but then, normal distribution could best justify a 3-level preference, the middle being "no preference".

I think it would make a fine system.
    God, someone needs to make this mainstream. Have ±1σ represent "I really don't have a strong preference " or something.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

I picked the last one, but meant to pick the 6th one.

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Quite satisfied and somewhat certain of my type.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche