• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introversion/Extroversion

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah...it's a curious thing...but i think that means we're sane...it's just a bit bizarre to see yourself as fractured personalities like that...this whole inner/ outer world too...i'm not so sure i get what that's about either...i once thought i did but why make it such the profound thing...everyone has unexpressed thoughts and feelings...how could you not? but it's not some tragic kingdom that your gate keeper personality guards while the spokesperson is out...i mean...isn't that all just a crazy perspective....or what?

wolfy

awsm
I think we might be being overly generous calling ourselves sane but I do agree with what you are saying.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
haha you think? hmm...i'm not sure how the others will take that. :/

wolfy

awsm
I just want to explore it, I don't understand that perspective. Makes me feel almost extroverted.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i think it's interesting too...it's hard to put myself there in a way i can understand it. i need someone to explain it to me.

wolfy

awsm
Me too, I need an explanation of that too. Either Se screws it up or I am extroverted.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
right...just like it was getting all twisted in my head in the other thread due to fi...possibly...yes... i think i'm extraverted but i check stuff internally...i don't think i value external things more...i just seek them out...so...i don't know that whole thing is screwy.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I think that it's the Se. Every now and then, I think that I'm extroverted, too, because of all of the Se that I use. And then, I get involved with large groups of people and I can't wait to escape from them!!!

Me too, I need an explanation of that too. Either Se screws it up or I am extroverted.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I will use a quote from one of the most brilliant ISFPs of all time, the venerable Mr. Bruce Lee, to illustrate this point:

In this quote Mr. Lee is clearly extolling the virtues of introversion. Extroversion would prompt us to practice a thousand kicks once each; introversion would prompt us to practice one kick a thousand times.

I don't get isfp from this YouTube - ‪Bruce Lee Interview (Part 1)‬‎ at all. More entj for Lee. The interviewer is impressed, though confused at times; are able to charm each other using their respective strengths. I'd say he is esfj.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i just thought the real difference was that an extravert's default is to focus outside themself - on people (Fe), on patterns/possibilities (Ne), on the physical environment (Se), on outward organization (Te) - while an introvert's default is to focus inside themself - on their value system (Fi), following/interpreting patterns (Ni), their experiential database (Si), or their logical system (Ti).

personally, i seriously thought i was an introvert until i realized that i unquestionably use more Ne than Fi, researched more and found ENFP fits me better than INFP anyway. i'm not always comfortable in social situations and i don't think anyone who knows me would call me "outgoing". i don't like that initial moment of meeting someone, before we've found common ground. i certainly have an elaborate inner world... though i dunno if there's much clear distinction between it and my external world. it's just whatever i decide to share with others or not, or to express outwardly at a certain time or day. maybe that's what makes me an extravert, according to the inner world definition, but it seems kind of unrealistic.

KDude

No its just the easiest example I could come up with. You must be normal if you know exactly why he suggested it...lol....

Heh. I can recognize what is normal, I guess. I can always tell why some limits were set to keep slipping or pull at a minimal level.. I kinda put myself in the place of a soccer mom or something, and see what would be unpleasant for her. Doesn't mean I don't push it myself sometimes. Some people tell me I should get into racing, if that means anything.. I guess I'm good at relating to the road in the way you're talking about.

That's all a bit impersonal though. Where I'm more isolated, and not smoothly operating with external conditions is with the social landscape. I don't get in sync with people as easily - and don't want to necessarily. Some external perspectives are overrated.

wolfy

awsm
I don't get isfp from this YouTube - ‪Bruce Lee Interview (Part 1)‬‎ at all. More entj for Lee. The interviewer is impressed, though confused at times; are able to charm each other using their respective strengths. I'd say he is esfj.

No way. He is isfp or istp, that comes from years of reading his books and articles. I've always just taken him as istp but he could be isfp. That is pretty interesting.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I keep on hearing about this inner world. I was reading that introverts can tell you exactly where their social roles end and their real self begins.

What is all that about?

giant_squid_1955Small.jpg

I don't know. I can say in that picture I relate to being the octopus than any of the kids.

The bold type: I was just thinking of this the other day. What an excellent way of saying it. "social role ends and real self begins".

I think everyone has a little of that going on but in introverts it's much more pronounced. I'm curious to hear the responses.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

ENTJ for bruce lee is so bad it doesn't even warrant a counterargument. ESFJ is almost as bad.

Any E or J type for him is a laughably terrible read.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Heh. I can recognize what is normal, I guess. I can always tell why some limits were set to keep slipping or pull at a minimal level.. I kinda put myself in the place of a soccer mom or something, and see what would be unpleasant for her. Doesn't mean I don't push it myself sometimes. Some people tell me I should get into racing, if that means anything.. I guess I'm good at relating to the road in the way you're talking about.

That's all a bit impersonal though. Where I'm more isolated, and not smoothly operating with external conditions is with the social landscape. I don't get in sync with people as easily - and don't want to necessarily. Some external perspectives are overrated.

To me it sounds like you are a strong S.

If you dont want to, to me that just means you havnt found the right people to get in sync with and/or havnt found ways in which you are comfortable getting in sync with those people. Overrated as in you feel constricted by them?

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
ENTJ for bruce lee is so bad it doesn't even warrant a counterargument. ESFJ is almost as bad.

Any E or J type for him is a laughably terrible read.

No, not really. Not at all. lee clearly has a crazy stranglehold control over his Ni, tertiary or otherwise, so I don't see how entj is completely out of the discussion, at least for the sake of comparison. I admit the interviewer isn't nearly dynamic enough to be esfj, but he's still an alpha sensor. isfp sounds better.

Upon this edit, I actually consider both entj. I admit I made an error regarding the interviewer, but JHBowden's recent thread cleared that up.

Void

Permabanned
Extroverted attitude\orientation is a lot easier to explain than the introverted attitude, the way I understand it is, a person with an extroverted attitude tends to orient their consciousness by objective data, by objective in this case I include social norms, traditions of his\her environment. To a large extent the extroverts attitude and consciousness is oriented and shaped by his\her milieu.

"His entire consciousness looks outwards to the world, because the important and decisive determination always comes to him from without. But it comes to him from without, only because that is where he expects it."

The introverts consciousness and orientation is more subjective, more particular.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
i think i'm extraverted but i check stuff internally...i don't think i value external things more...i just seek them out...so...i don't know that whole thing is screwy.

that is real familiar to me.
it seems like the harder i try to understand it - introversion and extraversion - the less sense it makes to me....

I was just thinking of this the other day. What an excellent way of saying it. "social role ends and real self begins".

I think everyone has a little of that going on but in introverts it's much more pronounced. I'm curious to hear the responses.

i don't feel that way- i feel that my social role is a giant inseparable part of my real self. social roles seem like a very natural expression of your self. to me they are just your "real self" in the context of other people.

i wonder if for introverts your social role is like putting on a mask,
and for extraverts it is like taking a mask off?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah...it's a curious thing...but i think that means we're sane...it's just a bit bizarre to see yourself as fractured personalities like that...this whole inner/ outer world too...i'm not so sure i get what that's about either...i once thought i did but why make it such the profound thing...everyone has unexpressed thoughts and feelings...how could you not? but it's not some tragic kingdom that your gate keeper personality guards while the spokesperson is out...i mean...isn't that all just a crazy perspective....or what?
Well fuck. Who you calling crazy?! :thelook:

I don't actually think it's possible to explain this to an extrovert. But I wrote this elsewhere.
I am really me, inside, all the time. But I don't seem to be very effective at translating that into an external reality that makes sense to others. (Doesn't every introvert feel that way, to some extent?) I don't even try any more. There is my internal dialogue and sense of self, and then there is this person out there in the world who is simply playing a role. Whichever role seems to fit at the time. To some extent I feel incapable of an authentic existence that involves other people.

It's easier online, because I don't have to worry about people forming impressions based on what I look/sound like, and then trying to force me into a role that chafes. And I don't have to worry about impressing anyone. But there are still filters. There is the inadequacy of language. Outside of our own minds, we are always more constrained than free.