User Tag List

Thread: NF/NT vs SP/SJ?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default NF/NT vs SP/SJ?

I could probably find this out if I looked it up, but I thought maybe some people here could summarize it fairly easily.

Why are the types broken down into the categories of NF/NT and SP/SJ? Why not NF, NT, SF and ST? Or NP, NJ, SP and FJ? It seems kind of inconsistent that Ns are categorized with the F/T and Ss with P/J. But I'm sure there's a good reason for it!
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Keirsey was the one that did it. From his observations, the iNtuitive Thinkers had more in common with each other than the iNtutive Feelers. But for the Sensors, the Perceivers and Judgers had more in common with each other.

Someone will come along and explain exactly why (I'm a bit fuzzy on it).

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

From what I understand, N was paired with T/F because intuition is primarily internal. And I guess that they saw that T/F had more of an affect internally? So they paired them like that because NTs would think alike and NFs would think alike.

As for the S's, I think they figured that P/J is more how to deal with the world, and since S is well, more grounded in reality, SPs would deal with reality in similar ways and SJs would deal with reality in similar ways.

NPs, NJs, SFs, and STs have their similarities too; but I think it's more noticeable with how they've grouped them.

Sorry if I'm being unclear, it's hard to explain.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

^^Ha, yeah, the question was hard to explain, too! I think I know what you're getting at, and that makes sense.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    From what I understand, N was paired with T/F because intuition is primarily internal. And I guess that they saw that T/F had more of an affect internally? So they paired them like that because NTs would think alike and NFs would think alike.

As for the S's, I think they figured that P/J is more how to deal with the world, and since S is well, more grounded in reality, SPs would deal with reality in similar ways and SJs would deal with reality in similar ways.
    Yeah... That was the basic gist.

It really depends on what you want to look at.
    Sometimes it is useful to compare SF vs ST, or NP vs NJ, or even other combinations.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Ni and Ne are more like with each other than Se and Si
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

I mentioned it in another thread recently.. but I noticed others (beside Keirsey), group according to dominant function (Thomson, Quenk, etc). It creates more categories, but I think it makes more sense. IFP, INJ, ESP, ENP, ITP, ISJ, EFJ, ETJ. I think "artisan" and "idealist" or "rational" just create false dichotomies. I mean, it doesn't exactly work out that way in practice, does it?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post

NPs, NJs, SFs, and STs have their similarities too; but I think it's more noticeable with how they've grouped them.

Sorry if I'm being unclear, it's hard to explain.
    Where'd you hear this? I always wondered if it might ultimately be something like that.

Keirsey seemed to choose the groups because they best fit the ancient temperaments and Kretschmer's character styles.
    As those models were built on a different framework, they did not map together symmetrically (same rules for S as for N).
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

Into the Next Century—Temperament Evolution
    by Linda V. Berens

Temperament Evolution