Alright I give up.

Which ball did I drop?
    a) Mathematics / Statistics
    b) Vocabulary
    c) Humor

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

I was considering your question earlier, beat. Wondering if it would be easier if I could be an XXXX - for e.g. it'd mean extreme flexibility - ability to deal with any situation, via use of any/all of the 8 functions, in any combination. Such an individual would be rare. (Jesus? )

But I'm not certain how a person with XXXX would function in reality without self-immolating at some stage. Plausibility check as Athenian mentioned: How'd you firstly deal with multiple inputs which you weigh to the same degree, and how'd you come to a decision if your judgements are going to be equally weighted in 4 directions? Inaction and merely absorbing in 4 ways? Inability to act/to choose is a preference in that case, isn't it? And extreme flexibility is a choice of Ps too for e.g. So it'd negate an X straight away. *ponders*

As we grow/mature, we'd tend to some traits, and that's what the dichotomies stand for merely, preferences. Perhaps over time, we get clearer, so someone younger could have more Xes?

Theoretically, the possibility is there, 50% as wildcat's pointed out.

JiveATurkey, I think your ball is statistical.

Edit: hey, wildcat, I was thinking of it, the chance could also be 33.33%? (derailment alert)

To explain my reasoning,

Let's start with E/I: If you're either or the other, or X, it means your chance is 33.33% of being E or I or X. I think you were coming from the angle that a person would be E/I (one outcome) or X (second outcome), i.e. 50%?

Now whether you're E/I/X does not affect whether you'd be N/S/X, T/F/X or P/J/X. I think the term is independent events.

It means overall chance of being XXXX is 33.33%, if you take X as a discrete possible outcome of the MBTI, or 50% if you're taking it from wildcat's angle of E/I as one outcome, and X as another.
    Last edited by white; 01-13-2008 at 11:02 AM. Reason: math!

MBTI
    TiSe

Actually the more healthy you are, the more Xs you should receive, which is why I laugh when I see someone bragging that they are 100% of any dichotomy. Don't you know you are striving for imbalance when you do this?

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    Actually the more healthy you are, the more Xs you should receive, which is why I laugh when I see someone bragging that they are 100% of any dichotomy. Don't you know you are striving for imbalance when you do this?
    Me and my X are very happy to hear this!
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Me and my X are very happy to hear this!
    As they should be Protean!

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Fifty per cent.
    A flip of the coin? Heads. Tails.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    I agree.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jive A Turkey View Post
    Two Xs seems to be somewhat common. What are the odds of generating an "XXXX"? Are stats like this available?
    I would think it would be some difficult mathematical equation to figure out because you have to take into consideration the natural tendency to differentiate one way or another in each of the 4 dichotomies. It's probably equally difficult or even more difficult than being 100% in all of the four dichotomies.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    I was considering your question earlier, beat. Wondering if it would be easier if I could be an XXXX - for e.g. it'd mean extreme flexibility - ability to deal with any situation, via use of any/all of the 8 functions, in any combination. Such an individual would be rare. (Jesus? )

But I'm not certain how a person with XXXX would function in reality without self-immolating at some stage. Plausibility check as Athenian mentioned: How'd you firstly deal with multiple inputs which you weigh to the same degree, and how'd you come to a decision if your judgements are going to be equally weighted in 4 directions? Inaction and merely absorbing in 4 ways? Inability to act/to choose is a preference in that case, isn't it? And extreme flexibility is a choice of Ps too for e.g. So it'd negate an X straight away. *ponders*

As we grow/mature, we'd tend to some traits, and that's what the dichotomies stand for merely, preferences. Perhaps over time, we get clearer, so someone younger could have more Xes?

Theoretically, the possibility is there, 50% as wildcat's pointed out.

JiveATurkey, I think your ball is statistical.

Edit: hey, wildcat, I was thinking of it, the chance could also be 33.33%? (derailment alert)

To explain my reasoning,

Let's start with E/I: If you're either or the other, or X, it means your chance is 33.33% of being E or I or X. I think you were coming from the angle that a person would be E/I (one outcome) or X (second outcome), i.e. 50%?

Now whether you're E/I/X does not affect whether you'd be N/S/X, T/F/X or P/J/X. I think the term is independent events.

It means overall chance of being XXXX is 33.33%, if you take X as a discrete possible outcome of the MBTI, or 50% if you're taking it from wildcat's angle of E/I as one outcome, and X as another.
    Sound reasoning.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jive A Turkey View Post
    Alright I give up.

Which ball did I drop?
    a) Mathematics / Statistics
    b) Vocabulary
    c) Humor
    You did not drop any ball.