User Tag List

First 2432333435 Last

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    Yeah, my ESFP bro and sis both ended up in the gifted program but they kick your ass out if you dont do homework...
    Not if you're acing the tests...

Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    Her ISTP bro, my ex, was failing everything in high school and robbing guns from people's homes. He has an IQ over 150. He took the SAT after getting picked up from jail , still drunk, at 8 am, and made the highest score in the county in five years.

Thus a bit of concern regarding the Se users....Their IQs may be quite high, but you dont see that as they lead very different life paths, especially when young.
    Very interesting anecdote.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Very interesting anecdote.
    ^^I tell purty stories! Just for my favorite INTJs who get driven insane by my Si

He comes from a family of rocket scientists and mensa members. He is now a tattoo artist and makes more money than me.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

The whole idea of being perceived as "gifted" disturbs me in one sense, particularly given the statistics above, because it is biasing people to value certain types of intelligence over others, such as N vs S. On the other hand, the practical application of this is getting those "gifted" children into gifted programs which means they will be with people who are gifted in similar ways which I think is helpful. The typical grade school is very heavily SJ influenced. The teachers are SJ and the instruction is tailored to sensors. Many intuitives feel like they are in an alien world being taught by aliens. So in that respect, education tailored to gifted students serves a purpose by allowing education to be tailored for the audience. In college of course, this is typically reversed with there being a bias against sensors.

One of the more interesting books I've read over the years is The Bell Curve. The statistics showed that Jewish and Asian people had higher IQs than others. Why would that be? Are they actually any smarter? Is it a culture valuing academic achievement and intelligence? Do particular personality types become more successful in some cultures than others? Are the statistics all completely flawed? I don't know.

What I do know is that understanding personality types and functions help us to understand how people can be gifted in different ways. Yeah, I know, function preference doesn't equal skill. I'm not sure I've ever believed that is true on average however.

In my heart, I don't believe that INTPs or INTJs are any smarter than ESFJs or ESTJs. They're just smart in different ways.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

^Yeah...school wasn't really my thing. I think Jeff Spicoli studied more than I did. Technically, I only have an 8th grade education. Last time I took an IQ test though, I got 116 (119 has been the highest..and these were administered.. not anything on the internet. I've gotten pretty high on those. That's why everyone on the net is a genius, after all). I'm not gifted, but that's not bad considering. I wonder if I would have been "gifted" if I had stuck it though ...If I had more foundation (What is gifted anyways?.. 130?).

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    The whole idea of being perceived as "gifted" disturbs me in one sense, particularly given the statistics above, because it is biasing people to value certain types of intelligence over others, such as N vs S. On the other hand, the practical application of this is getting those "gifted" children into gifted programs which means they will be with people who are gifted in similar ways which I think it helpful. The typical grade school is very heavily SJ influenced. The teachers are SJ and the instruction is tailored to sensors. Many intuitives feel like they are in an alien world being taught by aliens. So in that respect, education tailored to gifted students serves a purpose by allowing education to be tailored for the audience. In college of course, this is typically reversed with there being a bias against sensors.

One of the more interesting books I've read over the years is The Bell Curve. The statistics showed that Jewish and Asian people had higher IQs that others. Why would that be? Are they actually any smarter? Is it a culture valuing academic achievement and intelligence? Do particular personality types become more successful in some cultures than others? Are the statistics all completely flawed? I don't know.

What I do know is that understanding personality types and functions help us to understand how people can be gifted in different ways. Yeah, I know, function preference doesn't equal skill. I'm not sure I've ever believed that is true on average however.

In my heart, I don't believe that INTPs or INTJs are any smarter than ESFJs or ESTJs. They're just smart in different ways.
    I agree. My ESFJ dad went to one of the most prestigious colleges in the U.S. (it was actually voted #1 in 2009, I think) but he's hardly what you consider an intellectual. If he ever went on this site, he would like "these people need lives and what a great waste of time..." ESXJs get too much of a bad rap.

... Yeah, I know SJ's like that. Meanwhile, I'm a dropout, and I consider myself an intellectual (informal though I may be), and don't think you guys are wasting your time necessarily

Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    ... Yeah, I know SJ's like that. Meanwhile, I'm a dropout, and I consider myself an intellectual (informal though I may be), and don't think you guys are wasting your time necessarily
    Informal intellectuals are the best kind to be. Prestigious universities/colleges and even just a college education in general is overrated imo.

The whole idea of being perceived as "gifted" disturbs me in one sense, particularly given the statistics above, because it is biasing people to value certain types of intelligence over others, such as N vs S. On the other hand, the practical application of this is getting those "gifted" children into gifted programs which means they will be with people who are gifted in similar ways which I think it helpful. The typical grade school is very heavily SJ influenced. The teachers are SJ and the instruction is tailored to sensors. Many intuitives feel like they are in an alien world being taught by aliens. So in that respect, education tailored to gifted students serves a purpose by allowing education to be tailored for the audience. In college of course, this is typically reversed with there being a bias against sensors.
    I wonder if SPs felt a similar way in school? I know I did! My experience of school was really repetitive, non-interactive, and not at all stimulating enough. It didn't help that a lot of the stuff we were being taught wasn't exactly interesting to me. But then again, I have always had trouble with my [short] attention span. As a kid, I sort of thought that if it wasn't engaging enough, it wasn't worth doing. I was in gifted classes until about grade 5, and it was a lot better in terms of interaction and stimulation than normal classes were, but even within the gifted classes, there was a preference for abstract and logical/mathematical intelligence over others. Being that mathematics is my biggest weakness, I hated doing those IQ tests and would rush through them. Looking back at it now, I wish I had taken it all more seriously.

Honestly, I wonder what an SP influenced school would look like.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

One of the more interesting books I've read over the years is The Bell Curve. The statistics showed that Jewish and Asian people had higher IQs that others. Why would that be? Are they actually any smarter? Is it a culture valuing academic achievement and intelligence? Do particular personality types become more successful in some cultures than others? Are the statistics all completely flawed? I don't know.

I agree 100%.

The main advantage of "gifted" programs is that it brings N-style children into an N-style learning environment more apt to teach them in a way they understand. We shouldn't be surprised that a large fraction of "N" children (and INxx children) elected to enter a "gifted" program.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

That description is surprisingly good.