User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default Doubting one's MBTI Type

I want to hear some feedback from people who have confidently and knowledgeably decided a type for themselves.

I'm new to personality types; the first time I ever even took a MBTI test was about 3-4 months ago. When I first took it I scored as an INTP, which caused a huge "WTF" moment because I do NOT identify with INTP (for the most part - to be honest I think I can relate to all of the types a little bit). So I took a few different tests (pretty much all of the free ones I was able to find on Google) and I was almost consistently receiving INTP (sometimes INTJ). After that, I pretty much gave up on using these online tests as a tool in deciphering what my type could be. I started reading more thoroughly about the descriptions of types and their corresponding functions... but like I mentioned previously, I felt that I could relate to all of the types in some way. (Has anyone else ever felt this way?) I would think that this is a relatively normal thing to feel... we ALL use all of the cognitive functions, just in different levels. And it is no secret that expectations can influence experience.

So how the fuck am I supposed to determine what my type is?

I began turning to forums and discussion boards like these. Reading and listening to other people's experiences concerning their types was a HUGE help in deciding mine (or at least giving me some direction). INFJ is the type I can identify with the most, ESPECIALLY the Ni and Fe functions. I was also able to relate to so many INFJ's experiences. So I say, tentatively, that I am an INFJ.

But how can one really be so sure? I feel like we are constantly changing and evolving, learning when and how to use our cognitive functions, building upon our weaker ones and taming our stronger.... how are we supposed to determine what our type is and use it beneficially in our lives? Is it more transient than we think? WHAT??????

Evidently, this has become a [slightly] frustrating obsession of mine (mostly because it is the summertime and I am growing impatient of this responsibility-free lifestyle) and I was just wondering if anyone could relate to these thoughts/have some words of wisdom/etc.

Thanks and love.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    we are the leader we've been searching for

infj ; 6w5 so/sp (maybe)

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

The idea is to find out where you are, and work towards XXXX as your type.

Plus I don't think it's as static as some people think.
    The key is the word "preference"
    Preferences can change from year to year day to day end even minute to minute.
    I might be an I preference, but will have total phases of E preference.
    Streaks or slumps..
    Think about a sports team that plays an 80 game schedule.
    The ideal and preference is to win all 80 games.
    But even if the team is dominant, they are still likely to lose about 10-12 games, by the law of averages.
    Or they might be average and unable to get any kind of momentum going, never winning or losing more than 2 games in a row for most of the season except an odd streak of 5 wins. making their record 43-37

Now just think of your Functions as one of teams. The losses are days you fall out of your ideals and preferences.

If you are the average team. it means you have no outstanding strengths but no glaring weaknesses either, and you are likely feel all over the place.

MBTI
    infj

Yeah, I relate to a lot of that.

When I first got into type I went in thinking was I an INTP, because that's what I always got on tests, but as soon as I got into functions it become really clear really quickly that I wasn't like that. Becoming more familiar with the many different things each function can do and how the functions um....function at different levels of development is key. What was probably the most useful for me was reading people's first hand accounts of what it was like to use X function. Then I could say "yes, I completely do that!" or "what? people think like that. WEIRD." You already seem to have benefited from this.

As for growing and changing it's true that people use their functions in varying capacities at different stages in their life and in different environments. A lot of people find it useful to think about how they were as kids or teenagers when it's likely they were using their strongest functions.
    Also, think about what have you do always done vs what you've actively tried to develop once you realized you sucked at it. Trying to distinguish how you are from how you think you or how you wish you were can be challenge too since it's tough to be objective about ourselves.

Sometimes I still doubt my type, mostly out of boredom, because I want to think that maybe I got it wrong and need to "discover" myself all over again (admit it it's a fun process), but overall I'm really confident about my type.

I think it is interesting that both Ladelonge & Natashka both scored INTP on the test and finally settled on INFJ. It seems as if T's have a hard time because they have good imaginations and can "think" their way into another type.
    “Sheldon considers human beings as they really are - psycho-physical wholes.”

“the first serious advance of the science of man since Aristotle”

“For the first time the old insights and intuitions about the different kinds of human beings have been clarified and put on a firmly objective and measurable basis.”
    ___“Aldous Huxley/ A Biography” Sybille Bedford, 1974

Quote Originally Posted by Psychdigg View Post
    I think it is interesting that both Ladelonge & Natashka both scored INTP on the test and finally settled on INFJ. It seems as if T's have a hard time because they have good imaginations and can "think" their way into another type.
    Say what?

MBTI
    INFJ

Maybe. I think it is easy for anyone to "think" their way into a certain type, depending upon how they are feeling at that particular moment.

But when it comes down to it, INTP just doesn't fit with how I think and feel about the world. I think it is easy for INFJs to be mistyped and perceived as INTP because both can be very closed off emotionally - although, of course, for two very different reasons. I feel connections (and need to feel that connection) with people despite my standoffish exterior. And we do have our tertiary Ti ya know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    we are the leader we've been searching for

infj ; 6w5 so/sp (maybe)

garbage

I dunno, I'm a convert to the Multiplicity school of thought now. It's like MBTI (well, actually, Big 5), but based upon situational context and feedback. Lots o' neuron talk in that book, too!

So I don't doubt INFJ right now because I'm in an insanely INFJ mindset as of late. That could, of course, change later on, when other portions of my personality are brought out by some neuron path or some external circumstances..

MBTI
    infj

Just call me Lá

I had to admit I wasn't an INTP when I started reading about Ti, and it just seemed so organized. My thinking isn't like that at all. I actually had a hard time coming to terms with the fact that I wasn't a "thinker", because I grew up thinking of myself was logical and unemotional. I'm still pretty emotionally flat, but I know values are much more in line with NFs than NTs.

Banned
    MBTI
    me

The mbti system, has overall left me with confusion. It's a good start, but after attempting to find the principals upon which it opperates, I was left with unsatisfactory connections.

Going back to Jung however, has resulted in a better understanding overall. Allowed me to develop my own framework to understand it, and hence apply it to myself.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

We don't use our functions in a conscious way, as far as choosing to use certain functions. When people relate their behavior to a function, it's an analysis done in retrospect of what thought process they suspect they are using - they didn't choose to use that function. Behavior does not equal a function anyway - it can simply provide clues, as patterns have been noted. This means a type can adopt behavior associated with another type, but that does not mean their mental thought process has changed. Often people who claim they changed type have altered their behavior, not their basic thought process. Even as people mature, they likely use the same cognitive functions to alter their behavior or even their own attitude. These are conscious decisions we make, not alterations to our brain's orientation.

Concerning function usage, "preference" means something more like "orientation", not a preference that is a conscious choice - your cognition is how you make choices after all.

There is no 100% surefire way to know what type you are because it is just a theory. All you can do is learn about the theory and once you have a decent grasp of it, see where you best fit into it. Honest self-evaluation is important as well, of course. Some people may feel that MBTI is a poor system for describing their personality - there are other theories out there after all.

A lot of people give up on the tests for the same reasons you describe - they test a type that does not resonate with them. I too tested INTP at first (and still do), but upon further investigation of the theory, I settled on INFP as the best fit. I relate best to FiNe, but of course my mind is not limited to those functions. They are the most accurate representatives of my usual way of thinking though.

I think it may help to simply view this as a labeling system. Which label fits you best? It's almost like hair color - a brunette can dye her hair blond, but the roots will still grow in brown. I'm an INFP, and I can adopt behavior or attitudes associated with another type, but my underlying, dominant thought process is still likely FiNe, and if I am healthy and mature, then the other functions will still serve to support FiNe.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe