User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

Default Identical Types Amongst Siblings and/or Offspring?

First, I'm new here. Searched for this topic. Didn't find anything and thus, the new thread. Apologies up-front if this thread already exists.

So...I'd say I've been type-watching and learning about MBTI for about 10 years or so and there's two things I've never seen.

1) A child and parent of the same MBTI type
    2) Two siblings of the same type

It must be possible as you couldn't avoid it in a family of 15/16+, but how often does that really occur in the world today?

Has any one out there that's fairly experienced with MBTI ever seen either phenomena?

Thanks!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

My brother and me could both be possibly fit into the INTP type, though he tends more towards some sort of S (overall doesn't fit one type well at all), and I lean more towards the INT types, so it is an iffy example.

Hmmm... I know I've heard of a parent and a child having the same type. I remember an INFP on INFPg mentioning that her dad was probably an INFP.

My mom types as an ESFP, and my older brother is an ESTP, so that's close.

It would be both very weird and very intriguing to have an INFP parent. I'd high-five fate for handing me an INFP sib! Sigh.
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

One of my sisters is IxTx for sure, and maybe shares my type. She's too introverted to know for sure, but I wouldn't rule it out.

(welcome)

MBTI
    ISTP

Default Same Types

So far, doesn't sound like any very conclusive examples...some possibilities but no "definites". I guess, over the years, I've tended towards believing that it more than likely doesn't occur in typical-sized (maybe I should say Western-sized) families.

For those of you that suspect that maybe you and your siblings are of the same type, I guess my belief leans towards the idea that you're more likely NOT of the same type but probably one "leg" off from each other. Maybe the environment you were raised in reinforced (pos. or negatively) particular traits such that you or your sib "appear" very similar, but you may actual be different types. I'm just hypothesizing. I, an ISTP, was raised by a single INFP mother (great mom) so I tend to think that my Sensing was not as positively reinforced as had I grown up with a Sensing mother. Most of my friends and wife are N's.

On a sidenote: I have two sets of identical twin friends and they're both one "leg" off from each other. INFP-ENFP and INTJ-ISTJ. If the MBTI theory postulates that we're BORN a set "type" and our environment + or - reinforces our dominate traits, then would twins who are genetically identical also be of the same type? Doesn't seem like it from what I've experienced (Sensing ref). I guess the nurture part must have a role in it. But I was always under the impression that Myers-Briggs thought that we're "wired" a set way from birth and move towards the middle or towards the edges of each trait-pair spectrum without actually changing dominant traits (i.e. born a T and evolve into an F). Anyway, I'm also curious if identical twins are typically very similar types? (random thought)

My mum's ENFP but with low E, My Dad's INTP (probably) with low T (And I have low F) So I think type wise I'm a mix of them both.
    Introverted: 100%
    INtuition: 95%
    Feeling: 58%
    Perceiving: 89%

5w4 sp/sx

INFP.gc

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

As far as the twin thing, strangely enough that does seem to be the case. No idea why that might be, though.

Here on MBTICentral we've got twins PinkPiranha (ENFJ) and LadyJaye (ENFP). They're identical, I believe. And Aelan (ENTP) has an INTP twin sister, too.
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ

Same-type mother and brother (Nails) over here.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by arcticangel02 View Post
    As far as the twin thing, strangely enough that does seem to be the case. No idea why that might be, though.

Here on MBTICentral we've got twins PinkPiranha (ENFJ) and LadyJaye (ENFP). They're identical, I believe. And Aelan (ENTP) has an INTP twin sister, too.
    Cool!!! That supports that idea about twins, type, and genetics.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    Same-type mother and brother (Nails) over here.
    Wow!!! So...how do they get along? Major roller-coaster with highs of complete-understanding and lows of "familiarity breeds contempt"?

Whenever I interact with other ISTP's it's an odd dynamic. We almost innately know where the other is coming from in our discussions but at the same time can read each other so well and quickly that it seems kinda contemptuous (almost like we're bored of the other's presense).

If something like that happens with your mother and brother if could be amplified because of they're family and have a long history.