• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Identical Types Amongst Siblings and/or Offspring?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
LOL I don't need an MBTI lesson, believe me.

Ordinarily I understand wildcat pretty easily. Just that numbering thing was hard. I was looking for the wrong things.

The two way wording, and obviously metaphoric/analogic style of speaking actually helps me to dig what he's talking about.

He's is one of my favorite posters.

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
yeps, elfie adores wildcat too. :)

erm, I'm probably the one who needs an MBTI lesson. Don't quite get what Ne and Ti and all that are about. :blush:

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Yes, what I read specifically (aside from MBTI) was that identical twins living apart tend to be more alike than those who live together. Weird, huh? :)

I have twin nieces who just turned 16. They're alike in every way, except one straightens her hair and the other curls it so friends can tell them apart.
They take all the same classes, have the same after school activities (drama, chorus, volunteer projects). In fact, I predict they'll end up going to the same college.

I also predict they'll end up with the same kind of hair when they do separate. :smile:

Jae Rae

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Also, can anyone make heads or tails of that male-female twin set that recently met and married by accident? What were the odds?

Yes, I've read about this kind of attraction. Usually children raised in close proximity to each other, like siblings, aren't sexually attracted to each other. This is true whether the children share genetic material or not, because usually they do. There's a largely subconscious social/moral/biological pressure not to be sexually attracted to siblings raised in your nuclear family. The purpose of this is evident - mating with a sibling has a high chance of producing defective offspring.

However, it's a well-documented phenomenon that siblings separated at birth very often are attracted to each other when they meet later in life. I met a guy who found out he had a half-sister from a liaison his mother had before she married her father. The sister came forward just a few years ago and immediately made this guy and his brothers extremely uncomfortable. He couldn't put his finger on why, but I suspect the reason was some kind of sexual attraction between sister and brother, which felt very wrong.

Jae Rae

CestMoi

MBTI Type
ENFP
You got no such thing. Perhaps INTJs are the only ones in your life to tell you that the truth about yourself. You have some nerve judging people you don't know and jumping to conclusions which are wrong. Pardon me if I don't fawn all over you like a schoolgirl.

Get him, 'Mom! He was kind enough to post a jerk response in my thread, as well. You called it correctly with "crass" or "troll" is what I'm thinking, as well.

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
Sorry to necro a thread, but another thread here on the Olsen twins reminded me of this, and a search brought me here.

A guy I know with a phd in psych is seriously into MBTI, and I think that's been a lot of his focus. He told me once that identical twins separated at birth (and often raised in drastically different environments) test exactly the same on MBTI. He said there's less variance in the MBTI results between separated identical twins than there is with the same person taking the test twice.

Of course, I can't seem to dig up anything on this. I'm going to ask him for his source next time I see him.

LucrativeSid

Just the other day, I was reading an article about two identical twin boys who were raised the same, but turned out to be completely different from each other. One was very feminine, only was friends with girls, and played with dolls and stuff like that. His brother was more like a typical rough-housing boy who liked sports. The second boy was born a pound heavier, so maybe it's a case of him getting more testosterone somehow while in the womb. Even they though were identical twins and raised by the same family in the same way, it seems that they were not subject to the same exact same kind of development while in the womb.

There's a lot that we're still trying to figure out about how this happens.

riel

MBTI Type
ISFP
My mother is an ISFJ, the brother next to me is ENFJ, and the youngest brother is ESTP.

So in terms of NF, NT, SJ, and SP, my youngest brother and I belong to the SP group.

Whatthefluff

My mom is an INFP, my dad is an ESFJ. I am an INFP. My brother’s type changes, but it’s consistently been _NT_.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=2061]FrisbeeLad[/MENTION] My father and his sister I'm certain have the same mbti type (both ENFP). both of them are very similarly typed enneagram wise as well (Both 7w6 so cores). My Uncle and his son also share a very similar type combination (both ISTPs, both 9w1 sp/so). I can't think of any other examples that would work at the moment, but this is what I've come across.

Nonetheless, I don't think this phenomena is super common, though I do think it's fairly common for similar types to be found in one family (ie. My father's side of the family is populated by many ExFx types. If you're keen on the grant stack, I would put at least 75% of them on the Ne-Si axis as well, which makes the most common types ESFJ and ENFP).

LittleCat

Off to new adventures
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My brother and I are both ISFPs, but he’s a 2 core (269 tritype) and can present more like an ISFJ. I’m a 496 or 946 tritype (can’t tell if my core’s 9 or 4) and can present more like an INFP. This doesn’t prove much, but thought I’d chime in anyway :)

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As far as same parent-child type combos, I believe my maternal grandmother and my mom's younger brother could be ESFPs (the latter much more temperamental and volitile than I typically find ESFPs, but I think that's just the alcohol). I lean towards ISFP for my grandma, but I have trouble telling if she's an extrovert with no social skills who sometimes acts introverted as a result or a genuine introvert.

With brother-sister similar types, my mom's younger siblings (who are fraternal twins) seem to be of a similar type too. I'm fairly certain my aunt is an ESTP. Both appear to be Se-dom.

I never met my maternal grandfather since he passed away relatively young, but from what I've been told, he strikes me as very introverted. That also could just be the depression. But my gut says he was both depressed and an introvert.

Regardless, my mom is an ESFJ. It's very easy to tell how this impacts my grandmother's relationship with her children. She clearly gets along far better and has always been closer with her SP children. The member of the family my mom was closest to growing up was her paternal grandmother who died when she was a teenager. No idea what my great-grandmother's type could have been, but I wonder if it might have possibly been closer to my mom's.

Then again, drastically different types does not always mean tension and sparring between family members. I'll disagree with my parents, but it pales in comparison to the tension between xSFP grandmother and her ESFJ daughter. As an ENFP, I also get along better with my mom than my grandma, which is interesting because I tend to relate more to other FP types than ESFJs (who are very hit and miss with me).

Though interestingly, I've often seen ESFJs completely clash with each other to a severe extent.

I expect both sides of my family have a large number of SPs.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I’ve never seen this with MBTI types, oddly, but I know a ton of examples with the Enneagram.

I’m a 1w2, my mom’s a 1w2, her sister is a 1w2.

Makes sense given that the Enneagram is so much more about nurture than nature.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Me: INFJ. Younger sis: ENFJ.

We're only a year apart, and we're really close, and unconsciously do 'twins' stuff like finishing each other's sentences.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I’ve never seen this with MBTI types, oddly, but I know a ton of examples with the Enneagram.

I’m a 1w2, my mom’s a 1w2, her sister is a 1w2.

Makes sense given that the Enneagram is so much more about nurture than nature.

I'd second this comment here, I think enneagram trends in this sort of sense seem to be more strong.

My mother and I are both 6 sp/so cores (although she's 6w7 and I'm 6w5). My brother, though young, is looking like he'll probably fall into the 7w6/6w7 category as well (either so/sp or so/sx it appears). My father I've just recently found to be a 7w6 (so/sp). My sister could even be a 6w7, but I think it's more likely that's she's some sort of 9 core (so/sx). Nonetheless, lots of 6/7 trends in my immediate family (and soc).