User Tag List

First 45678 Last

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Aelan/Elf and Jaye/Me are both identical sets.

I've wondered about the MBTI in relation to twins myself, as I see "splits" in the typing clusters. Like Aelan (ENTP) and Elf (INTP) versus Jaye (ENFP) and Pink (eNFJ).

I know another identical set (almost mirror-image women) who are eNFP and INTP. We puzzled over what divergences occur at what points. I've wondered if mirror twins are more likely to be closer in type, in the way the egg divides in the womb.

I know a set of fraternals (which is essentially two babies born at the same time who may not share any more than 50% of their DNA) who are ESTP and ISFJ. I would expect such a variance in fraternals.

we're mirror twins. ENTP/INTP. It is possible as mitochondrial DNA could cause minute differences in genetically identical twins. The same way iris patterns and thumbprint patterns are different. Personality is too difficult to measure and quantify as directly due to genetics though.

I'd thought with fraternals, they would in effect be as distant from each other as a normal brother/sister, so the differences in personalities could be as wide as per normal siblings.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    we're mirror twins. ENTP/INTP. It is possible as mitochondrial DNA could cause minute differences in genetically identical twins. The same way iris patterns and thumbprint patterns are different. Personality is too difficult to measure and quantify as directly due to genetics though.

I'd thought with fraternals, they would in effect be as distant from each other as a normal brother/sister, so the differences in personalities could be as wide as per normal siblings.
    Which of you is left handed?

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Which of you is left handed?

MBTI
    INTP

You are a left handed ENTP, Elfinchilde is a right handed INTP, and I am a left handed INTP.
    We are trins.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Alcearos View Post

If identical twins MBTI types are different, then that would mean that MBTI type is not innate.
    False. It's never 0 or 1, never completely genes or environment. Even huntington's disease (if you inherit the gene and live old enough for it to activate, you will get it) has a relatively strong pull by environment. (Diet, living conditions, stress, optimism, etc. can affect the age of onset by many many years.)

MZ twins (Monozygotic; identical) are not reared apart anymore (some used to be adopted into different families) and so they can't tweeze apart the effects of environment. Any two kids in the same household are going to be treated differently
    *for the sake of finding unique souls and because we understand that no two humans are alike, despite similarities
    *because they may develop skills at slightly different rates, which means, for example, one gets labeled as the "sporty" one and if you're not the sporty twin, then you begin to self-identify (with others' help) as something else
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

You are a left handed ENTP, Elfinchilde is a right handed INTP, and I am a left handed INTP.
    We are trins.
    And if we find a right-handed ENTP, we'd be qwins!

I learnt to write (and do most things) with my right hand though, and for a time, would write simultaneously with both. However, I write exclusively with the right now. For most other things, I'm comfortable with both hands, but default to my left if I can. So I'm left-handed by nature, but ambidextrous by nurture.

MBTI
    INTP

And if we find a right-handed ENTP, we'd be qwins!

I learnt to write (and do most things) with my right hand though, and for a time, would write simultaneously with both. However, I write exclusively with the right now. For most other things, I'm comfortable with both hands, but default to my left if I can. So I'm left-handed by nature, but ambidextrous by nurture.
    When you find her call her Qwinny.
    I am Trinnie.

MBTI
    type

When you find her call her Qwinny.
    I am Trinnie.
    why do you assume the fourth is a 'her'?

can i call wildcat meowie? love the way his mind works.

but i digress. just personally as an identical twin (how many pairs of twins are there here? ):

it's a nature vs nurture argument. To put everything down to DNA and say that just because twins share the same genome, they'd be exactly the same, is too absolute perhaps?

because who we are is ultimately shaped by the environment. and even though the macro environment may be the same (eg, same socio-cultural background, same family and place of school/growing up etc), the daily micro-environment will be different (the individualised experiences one has).

that would shape personality, wouldn't it?

aelan pointed out rightly too: most DNA as far as humans are concerned (elf majored in microbiology, btw) comes from the main nucleus of the cell itself. but in the cytoplasm resides the mitochondrial DNA (which comes from the maternal line), and so, not 100% of the DNA in twins are the same. which accounts for the differences in dental records and thumbprints, even though the main DNA profile (blood type etc) are the same.

i'm visual. so to simplify things:

imagine two snowflakes of almost the same composition in the sky. then they fall. along the way, they'd meet different obstacles and winds and all that. that's what shapes them differently, the wings of the crystals will be different, even though the core would (likely) be mostly the same.

i hope i managed some clarity in the above rambling.
    You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
    They called me the hyacinth girl.
    Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
    Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
    Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
    Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
    Looking into the heart of light, the silence.

--T.S Eliot, The Wasteland

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Alcearos View Post
    Two questions and some thinking about them.
    Are there any research of identical twins and their MBTI type?
    Is persons MBTI type innate?

If identical twins MBTI types are different, then that would mean that MBTI type is not innate.
    Are fingerprints not innate either?
    we fukin won boys

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Are fingerprints not innate either?
    That's a good point. There is an environment in the womb too.

What is the starting point for innateness?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield