User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

The fact that the test costs money and few people had actually seen it (or had a copy of results, aside from samples on the net) is probably one reason why no one discussed it much.

But function theory and MBTI Step II aren't really focused on the same things / the same levels of granularity. Nor is MBTI Step II the same as Jung's eight types/functions.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

E/I:

INITIATING (Sociable, congenial, introduce people) vs RECEIVING (Reserved, low-key, are introduced) : mildly lean receiving (IRL)

EXPRESSIVE (Demonstrative, easier to know, self-revealing) vs CONTAINED (Controlled, harder to know, private) : Strongly lean expressive

GREGARIOUS (Seek popularity, broad circle, join groups) vs INTIMATE (Seek intimacy, one-on-one, find individuals): mildly lean intimate

ACTIVE (Interactive, want contact, listen and speak) vs REFLECTIVE (Onlooker, prefer space, read and write) : mildly lean reflective

ENTHUSIASTIC (Lively, energetic, seek spotlight) vs QUIET (Calm, enjoy solitude, seek background): moderately lean enthusiastic

Makes me a mild extrovert, probably, since my introverted preferences are mild and my two extroverted prferences are strong and moderate.

S/N:

CONCRETE (Exact facts, literal, tangible) vs ABSTRACT (Figurative, symbolic, intangible): mild to moderately abstract

REALISTIC (Sensible, matter-of-fact, seek efficiency) vs IMAGINATIVE (Resourceful, inventive, seek novelty): moderately imaginative

PRACTICAL (Pragmatic, results oriented, applied) vs CONCEPTUAL (Scholarly, idea oriented, intellectual): hmm maybe mildly practical, actually...seems more Te than Ti

EXPERIENTIAL (Hands-on, empirical, trust experience) vs THEORETICAL (Seek patterns, hypothetical, trust theories): errr mildly theoretical

TRADITIONAL (Conventional, customary, tried-and-true) vs ORIGINAL (Unconventional, different, new and unusual): I think I actually am mildly traditional

T/F:

LOGICAL (Impersonal, seek impartiality, objective analysis) vs EMPATHETIC (Personal, seek harmony, central values): strongly empathetic

REASONABLE (Truthful, cause and effect, apply principles) vs COMPASSIONATE (Tactful, sympathetic, loyal): moderately compassionate

QUESTIONING (Precise, challenging, want discussion) vs ACCOMODATING (Approving, agreeable, want harmony): mildly to moderately questioning

CRITICAL (Skeptical, want proof, critique) vs ACCEPTING (Tolerant, trusting, give praise): mildly to moderately accepting

TOUGH (Firm, tough-minded, ends-oriented) vs TENDER (Gentle, tender-hearted, means-oriented): moderately tender

J/P:

SYSTEMATIC (Orderly, structured, dislike diversions) vs CASUAL (Relaxed, easygoing, welcome diversions): moderately systematic

PLANFUL (Future-focused, advance planner, make firm plans) vs OPEN ENDED (Present focused, go-with-the-flow, make flexible plans): moderately open-ended

EARLY STARTING (Motivated by self-discipline, steady progress, late start stressful) vs PRESSURE PROMPTED (Motivated by pressure, bursts and spurts, early start unstimulating): errr evenly balanced on these

SCHEDULED (want routine, make lists, procedures help) vs SPONTANEOUS (want variety, enjoy the unexpected, procedures hinder): mildly spontaneous

METHODICAL (plan specific tasks, note subtasks, organized) vs EMERGENT (plunge in, let strategies emerge, adaptable): mildly emergent

Conclusion: enFp

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

E/I:

INITIATING (Sociable, congenial, introduce people) vs RECEIVING (Reserved, low-key, are introduced)

EXPRESSIVE (Demonstrative, easier to know, self-revealing) vs CONTAINED (Controlled, harder to know, private)

GREGARIOUS (Seek popularity, broad circle, join groups) vs INTIMATE (Seek intimacy, one-on-one, find individuals)

ACTIVE (Interactive, want contact, listen and speak) vs REFLECTIVE (Onlooker, prefer space, read and write)

ENTHUSIASTIC (Lively, energetic, seek spotlight) vs QUIET (Calm, enjoy solitude, seek background)

S/N:

CONCRETE (Exact facts, literal, tangible) vs ABSTRACT (Figurative, symbolic, intangible)

REALISTIC (Sensible, matter-of-fact, seek efficiency) vs IMAGINATIVE (Resourceful, inventive, seek novelty)

PRACTICAL (Pragmatic, results oriented, applied) vs CONCEPTUAL (Scholarly, idea oriented, intellectual)

EXPERIENTIAL (Hands-on, empirical, trust experience) vs THEORETICAL (Seek patterns, hypothetical, trust theories)

TRADITIONAL (Conventional, customary, tried-and-true) vs ORIGINAL (Unconventional, different, new and unusual)

T/F:

LOGICAL (Impersonal, seek impartiality, objective analysis) vs EMPATHETIC (Personal, seek harmony, central values)

REASONABLE (Truthful, cause and effect, apply principles) vs COMPASSIONATE (Tactful, sympathetic, loyal)

QUESTIONING (Precise, challenging, want discussion) vs ACCOMODATING (Approving, agreeable, want harmony)

CRITICAL (Skeptical, want proof, critique) vs ACCEPTING (Tolerant, trusting, give praise)

TOUGH (Firm, tough-minded, ends-oriented) vs TENDER (Gentle, tender-hearted, means-oriented)

J/P:

SYSTEMATIC (Orderly, structured, dislike diversions) vs CASUAL (Relaxed, easygoing, welcome diversions)

PLANFUL (Future-focused, advance planner, make firm plans) vs OPEN ENDED (Present focused, go-with-the-flow, make flexible plans)

EARLY STARTING (Motivated by self-discipline, steady progress, late start stressful) vs PRESSURE PROMPTED (Motivated by pressure, bursts and spurts, early start unstimulating)

SCHEDULED (want routine, make lists, procedures help) vs SPONTANEOUS (want variety, enjoy the unexpected, procedures hinder)

METHODICAL (plan specific tasks, note subtasks, organized) vs EMERGENT (plunge in, let strategies emerge, adaptable)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

OK, now I've taken the real thing (before, on the first page, I had simulated it), and I revised my homemade graph:

MBTI Step II expanded report-subscale-graph-official-png

2-5 on the side of the preference is considered in preference, and on the other side is considered out of preference ("OOPS"), and 1 on either side and 0 in the middle is "mid-zone".

So again, we see me having a lot of F, particularly "Accepting" and "Tender". "Questioning/Accommodating" was dead smack in the middle (0). My wife insists I'm "Questioning", "Critical" and "Tough", but she's thinking about when I'm arguing something. Some of the questionnaire items are picking between two words, and I knew that on several of the T/F ones, I was leaning towards F. But the questions are asking how the word comes across to you, basically, and though I can be all tough and critical, I still don't like others being that way toward me, so the words take on a negative connotation.

Basically, this is as I always say, from being Supine (Inclusion and Affection), where the average INTP is likely Phlegmatic, and thus less sensitive. It basically indicates what I "respond" to or "want", rather than what I "express", and that's not taken into consideration in type theory (though it's implicit in Berens' "directing/informing" and "structure/motive" poles), and is one of the things I like so much about the FIRO system.

In fact, it should be pointed out, that these scores are really, not "strength", or based on numbers of questions graded, but by comparing your responses to an average range of scores for other INTP's in a national sample (there's a chart for this in the back of the report). So what it's saying is that I'm more accommodating, accepting and tender than the average INTP, which figures.
    Accommodating is within the standard deviation (which is 4 to -1), but still higher than the mean (at +2); but the other two are -1 beyond the standard deviation, which is +3.5 to -2.5 for C/A and 4 to about -.5 in T/T. So it seems a lot of INTP's do cross over into Accommodating, tender, and especially Accepting. Agian, this is from being an "informing" (people-focused or "responsive", socially) type, and also including a lot of Supines.

On the other hand, I'm actually +1 greater than the standard deviation in the Logical/Empathetic facet! (average INTP runs 1 to 4.5)

So this is what's known as normative data. It's scored against a statistical norm. The regular, basic "Step I", on the other hand, is not normed. I remember the time years ago, when I first heard of it, and then went discussing it on a Yahoo list (before I found MBTIc, as here was known back then), and this resident pair of experts made a big point that this instrument was "NORMED", as they emphasized. I had no idea what the heck that meant, as the psychometric aspect of the theory lied way beyond my area of interest (way too Te; and they actually insisted my use of the theory was all Te!) They did explain about it being scored "TWICE" and compared to an average; as well as subscales based on only one or two questions.
    In developing my understanding of type theory, particularly in comparison to the "moderate scale"-based FIRO matrix, I was looking at subscales as explaining ambiguous preferences, and while it technically is not indicating that, it still does give an idea of why one might have uncertainty, and why I might seem more F-like than "typical" INTP's. (And considering I got three mid-zones on E —including "Enthusiastic/Quiet", and I was being typed as E for my "enthusiasm" of the theory; then that's a reason why I might seem to be what else but the very type they were insisting for me: ENFP, "compared" to the "average" INTPs', which they kept comparing me to! INTP's 'just aren't' that "enthusiastic" about anything, or that "sensitive" when challenged)

Anyway, so @SuchIrony, since you're the OP of this thread, you can take this into account when pondering your T/F uncertainty. I'll bet your results would be very similar.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

@Eric B, how did you take the test? where / in what setting?

If it matters, I'm not sure what my logical score would be, but I expect to lean toward Accepting and Accommodating myself -- I live a very flexy external life, even if my core is very questioning inside, in regards to my own ideas.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

garbage

That's a great analysis. I'm interested in taking the Step II as well, largely just for the hell of it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I took it about a year ago at work and found it super helpful. More about my experience with it is my blog if anyone is interested: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=1#post1649003
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

We've discussed the Step 2 on occasion here. I think it helps add some nuance to the pretty rigid either/or binary function pairs -- badly needed. At least it could be useful for personal application -- "Yes, I'm and F, but in these kinds of situations, I'm actually more forceful than expected, consistently," etc. More unique outcomes are returned.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    @Eric B, how did you take the test? where / in what setting?

If it matters, I'm not sure what my logical score would be, but I expect to lean toward Accepting and Accommodating myself -- I live a very flexy external life, even if my core is very questioning inside, in regards to my own ideas.
    I'll explain, probably in a couple of weeks or so. It can only be administered online, so you'll have to find a practitioner or site who does that (discoveryourpersonality.com is one)

But I thought of you too, that you would probably get similar results.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Here's mine:

About the only interesting thing there is the out-of-preference "Reasonable" on the thinking/feeling sub-scales (and the neutral logical/empathetic).

Otherwise, it's all pretty straight-forward.

I used discoveryourpersonality.com, as well (a couple/few years ago).