User Tag List

First 5678917 Last

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Decides to approach this thread with an Ni-Fi loop: Isn't autism/aspergers a conspiracy of the extroverts attempting to label introverts as dysfunctional?
    Not all introverts are dysfunctional.

But those who are (socially) dysfunctional are most likely introverts.

You're looking at it backwards.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    Not all introverts are dysfunctional.

But those who are (socially) dysfunctional are most likely introverts.

You're looking at it backwards.
    Or are some introverts willing to conform and others labelled as socially dysfunctional and are the truly dysfunctional a mire of extroverts and introverts?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Isn't autism/aspergers a conspiracy of the extroverts attempting to label introverts as dysfunctional?
    No. Autism isn't synonymous with introversion.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    No. Autism isn't synonymous with introversion.
    Oh yes, you are perfectly correct there are extroverted autistics and aspergers I'm sure... but one should always analyse the quality of the testing criteria.

It should also be noted that both autism and aspergers have benefits to those with them, these aren't so much disabilities as a different way of ordering brain function which is deviant because it is 'not the norm'.

Quote Originally Posted by Autism Diagnosis
    Diagnosis is based on behavior, not cause or mechanism. Autism is defined in the DSM-IV-TR as exhibiting at least six symptoms total, including at least two symptoms of qualitative impairment in social interaction, at least one symptom of qualitative impairment in communication, and at least one symptom of restricted and repetitive behavior. Sample symptoms include lack of social or emotional reciprocity, stereotyped and repetitive use of language or idiosyncratic language, and persistent preoccupation with parts of objects. Onset must be prior to age three years, with delays or abnormal functioning in either social interaction, language as used in social communication, or symbolic or imaginative play. The disturbance must not be better accounted for by Rett syndrome or childhood disintegrative disorder. ICD-10 uses essentially the same definition.
    I've yet to see a socially labelled condition which requires one to be 'chatty and empathic' for it to occur.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Oh yes, you are perfectly correct there are extroverted autistics and aspergers I'm sure... but one should always analyse the quality of the testing criteria.

It should also be noted that both autism and aspergers have benefits to those with them, these aren't so much disabilities as a different way of ordering brain function which is deviant because it is 'not the norm'.

I've yet to see a socially labelled condition which requires one to be 'chatty and empathic' for it to occur.
    I usually just call that "insufferable."

Something can be both a disability and a benefit at the same time. Autism often is. And many autistic people don't really get to experience the benefits.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    Mm

Williams Syndrome http://www.cnsspectrums.com/aspx/art...articleid=1382 (read the abstract for the quick view)

However it does not change the fact that this may only be a a tyranny of the normal society over the different individuals...You can see it in that light, however there is no objective proof. I could as easily argue out-group bias that individuals with your view point shown see themselves as different from others and are fighting a cohesive social group that is keeping them down even though the 'group' is not cohesive or in existence.

Personally, I do agree with you (and others) that labels are thrown around too loosely. Especially since they are used as insults or to suggest something is wrong with the person. OCD, autism, PMS, ADHD, etc, are good examples especially given the light that some of these 'disorders' may not even exist except as placebo disorders much like hysteria of the nineteenth century.
    Love wouldn't exist without loneliness to inspire it.

Peach yogurt is made of love. And gnome kidneys. - Domino

I can cope and will cope without polluting my lungs. - Saslou
    Likes chubber liked this post

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Keps Mnemnosyne View Post
    Personally, I do agree with you (and others) that labels are thrown around too loosely. Especially since they are used as insults or to suggest something is wrong with the person. OCD, autism, PMS, ADHD, etc, are good examples especially given the light that some of these 'disorders' may not even exist except as placebo disorders much like hysteria of the nineteenth century.
    Im inclined to agree with you. Most of these things as just overdiagnosed because people (especially Americans) are over-medicated hypochondriacs.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    N/A

I avoid people that think if certain personalities don't all develop at the same pace they have something like that, why not let people live normal fucking lives.

ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn010 View Post
    I avoid people that think if certain personalities don't all develop at the same pace they have something like that, why not let people live normal fucking lives.

ENTJ

I don't know you, but that's a kick-ass comment. Cheers!

MBTI
    INTP

Thank you Morgan Le Fay.

My mother is IT. Si Te. She is not an autist.
    IT is not about autism. Autism is about IT.

A very strong Si Te, she shows characteristics of autism.
    Si is the complementary party of Ne. Te is the complementary party of Fi.
    A Fi Ne can be an autist.
    A Ne Fi is beyond the spectrum. Why?
    It is the complementary party of Si Te.

You said there is no universal shape. A good observation.
    If there is no universal shape, there is no universal threshold.
    A distance is all there is.
    Remove the complementary parties of all the ITs.
    There you find the spectrum.