User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I know exactly how you feel!!

Si was savant like in music and had an amazing perfect pitch when he was little. He has a photographic memory literally. His literality was a big problem - he wasn't rude when someone asked a sarcastic question but was deemed so when he answered literally.

My dad: "how were your meatballs Simon?" Si: "I didn't like them, they were awful Grandad!"

He had (and still has) a natural affinity for animals - they love him and he loves them.

I wept when in high school my son's report said that [I]he would give the shirt off his back to his worst enemy if he felt they needed it more than he did". This was so pure but not a survivable attribute - yet he did and is an incredibly compassionate man.

You are fortunate your son will have help from day one
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Is it true that they're taking asperger's out of the DSM-V? I had heard this but people still seem to be using it pretty freely. When my son was diagnosed last year I seem to recall them saying something like "in years past we probably would have put him in the Asperger's category but they are phasing that out" or something. It is all kind of a blur at this point.
    No, they are not phasing it out completely. It is just going to go under a broader category of autistic disorder. The criteria are somewhat harder to meet, which means that those who have the mildest forms of Asperger's may lose their diagnosis. This whole criteria merging seems like a good idea to me, as many people who would fit the criteria for HFA get diagnosed as AS or vice-versa. The distinction between AS and HFA is not very clear.
    Feel free to dispute my type.

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Evguenia View Post
    No, they are not phasing it out completely. It is just going to go under a broader category of autistic disorder. The criteria are somewhat harder to meet, which means that those who have the mildest forms of Asperger's may lose their diagnosis. This whole criteria merging seems like a good idea to me, as many people who would fit the criteria for HFA get diagnosed as AS or vice-versa. The distinction between AS and HFA is not very clear.
    Thanks for this info Evguenia - I will follow up here too as I am likely to at some stage have more students with HFA.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Evguenia View Post
    Yeah, that is what I meant. I didn't mean that those who are currently diagnosed with Asperger's would no longer have a diagnosis- but that it would not be Asperger's, it would be autism. As I understand it, Asperger's will not appear at all in the DSM-V. That's why the folks at TEACCH did not diagnose my son with it- they gave him a diagnosis of autism, so that nothing would change for us when the DSM-V comes out (and so he can be identified as autistic in the school system in the meantime).

Edit: same goes for PDD-NOS which is the dx a few other children we know currently have. I agree that subsuming both Asperger's and PDD-NOS into the umbrella of Autism simplifies things a lot.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

I would guess that the distribution of Aspergers would most likely be

INTP
    INTJ
    ENTP
    ISTX
    and the rest. It seems like an NT thing, mostly I, and the very specific areas of personal interest makes me think P.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by mrsherlockholmes View Post
    the very specific areas of personal interest makes me think P.
    Why P?
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Quote Originally Posted by suchirony View Post
    Why P?
    Well because Aspergers children often have very specific and often pointless interests (the Wikipedia page said as an example they may be very interested in camera models and brands but have no interest in photography at all). This kind of thing is very XNTP I think. A J would mostly have interests which could serve a clear defineable purpose in society.

On a side note, I think I may have low level Aspergers.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Originally posted by mrsherlockholmes
    I would guess that the distribution of Aspergers would most likely be

INTP
    INTJ
    ENTP
    ISTX
    and the rest. It seems like an NT thing, mostly I, and the very specific areas of personal interest makes me think P.
    Is it possible that due to limited social skills that those with Aspergers merely seem to be introverted/thinking by appearance? I'm an INFP and I have asperger's syndrome, but ever since I've first come across MBTI I've always thought of myself as an INTP. But recently after re-analyzing discriptions of different types I discovered that I was always an INFP, could having aspergers been a reason for my miscalcualtion of my type?

MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Brain View Post
    Is it possible that due to limited social skills that those with Aspergers merely seem to be introverted/thinking by appearance? I'm an INFP and I have asperger's syndrome, but ever since I've first come across MBTI I've always thought of myself as an INTP. But recently after re-analyzing discriptions of different types I discovered that I was always an INFP, could having aspergers been a reason for my miscalcualtion of my type?
    I think that's possible. I would have probably put INFP next in the list, but I wasn't sure. I think it is far more common among thinking types, but not necessarily unique. I have a few times thought myself to be an F, but it turned out my Fi is mostly just Ti that I was mistaking. I'm not sure whether it would make you look more T or what.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

question for INTJ aspies, what do you guys think about your tert Fi?

i know a really sweet kid with asperger's. i don't think he lacks empathy. i do think he has a problem communicating empathy, however. and by "problem" i simply mean "doesn't do it like most other people".

good luck for your son, Ivy