User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    I'd really like to know the ratio of genuine Asperger's sufferers to maladjusted geeks who self-diagnose and just use it as an excuse.
    I ask you if there is really much of a difference? And if you say yes and come up with some clever argument, if you think about how much you often think you know about yourself or other people and end up being wrong, can you really be sure? Just because you think you know other people better than most with Asperger's Syndrome, does that mean you do? It's a lot more bull-shitty complicated then you might think.

They use a criteria to determine it. It mostly consists of many types of failed interaction with other people over the course of many years and an inability to deal with it easily like most would. Kind of like how a soldier might have trouble adjusting to being a civilian after many years of fighting in a war, although war trauma is different, but the element of failure, loneliness, and fear is in its basic forms pretty much the same. Some are pedantic, some are not. Maybe because they learned they get less shit if they shut the *&^* up and just talk to themselves in their heads. Some say they are smart, some say they aren't smart. Some have learned enough how to act normal that nobody would assume that in their heads they think "I hate talking to everyone" because they know they have to pretend and it's very tiring not being able to explain why you are uncomfortable to someone who doesn't have the slightest clue and will take it personally because of the huge difference.

I'd like to know the ratio of how smart a human is to how much bullshit they can get people to believe. You know, kind of like how some 'smart genius scientist' (whatever that means) comes up with a cure for 'depression or all different types of mental illnesses' (whatever that means) and then when someone shows evidence of that being false, pulls a 180 and says "Oh by the way, this is still a new science. We thought we had it, but we were wrong." That's some good stuff. Nice to know there are always people who think 'good intentions and present sacrifices' justify doing more harm than good to a person.

Outside of MBTI as a loose theory to help individuals interact with those they know very little about, this makes me hate psychology. It's all complete conjecture. Ask multiple types of people from different ethnicities and countries what their problems are and how they deal with them and what they think of them and there is always a different answer. Psychology should be looked at with great suspicion.

I know TL;DR, wahhh wahhh wahhh Charlie Brown.

Okay bai.
    Likes chubber liked this post

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

One difference that has been stable in my observation between those with autism and aspergers is echolalia. Echolalia is where someone repeats what they have heard either immediately or later. This must be a distinguishing feature of autism.

Once I heard that while both groups, autism and aspergers, have difficulty in the social interaction realm, autistic individuals don't care about acquiring social relations but those with aspergers do. Anyone hear about this?

In my opinion I think these categories are being overused at present and fear they will become meaningless, just like the dyslexia label did in the 80s. Remember 'minimally brain damaged'? I'm pretty sure that's what I am, but look what good this knowledge did for me.

Widdles in your cream.
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

I personally know a male ISFJ with Aspergers syndrome. He must be high-functioning (if that's the correct term?) because he is social, joining his university clubs and stuff. Honestly, you wouldn't know he had it. In fact I didn't realise until he told me. But once I knew, certain characteristics in his behaviour stood out to me- taking everything very literally, rambling on about something for ages, etc. But if you didn't know about it, he could just as easily be seen as "slightly eccentric". He's a nice guy. He still hasn't moved on after his girlfriend broke up with him two years ago. Her name is still in his IM screen name. Extreme use of Si?

I know an INTJ with autism, and she's less adjusted as he is. Plus another INTJ and an INTP. All three of them are very blunt and make horrendous social slip-ups. It's fairly obvious in their behaviour. In fact I suspected the INTJ was autistic before I was told.
    Um, yeah.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

I think asperger's might effect the connection between different parts of the frontal lobe, thus making the preference for N or S more extreme than in neurotypicals (given how calling them NTs would be rather confusing, it's best if I spell it out). in all honesty, a lot of aspie traits just sound like really hardcore INXXs. such as
    1) intense disliking of hiercharchy
    2) novel ways of solving problems
    3) intense interest in one or a few hobbies
    4) no desire or need to belong to a group
    5) confusion about how most people operate
    6) difficulty picking up social cues/facial expressions/body language
    7) non politically correct views that they have no hesitancy expressing openly
    8) extreme disliking of rules/authority
    9) usually very high IQ
    10) find small talk boring and useless
    11) being considered "weird" or "not normal"
    12) often proud of being "not normal" (I know I am, normal is boring as hell =P)
    13) trouble with motor skills/coordination

I have all of these traits as an ambiverted NFP but I don't know if I'm an aspie or not. I'm certainly more like an aspie than a neurotypical SJ or SP.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I think asperger's might effect the connection between different parts of the frontal lobe, thus making the preference for N or S more extreme than in neurotypicals (given how calling them NTs would be rather confusing, it's best if I spell it out). in all honesty, a lot of aspie traits just sound like really hardcore INXXs. such as
    1) intense disliking of hiercharchy
    2) novel ways of solving problems
    3) intense interest in one or a few hobbies
    4) no desire or need to belong to a group
    5) confusion about how most people operate
    6) difficulty picking up social cues/facial expressions/body language
    7) non politically correct views that they have no hesitancy expressing openly
    8) extreme disliking of rules/authority
    9) usually very high IQ
    10) find small talk boring and useless
    11) being considered "weird" or "not normal"
    12) often proud of being "not normal" (I know I am, normal is boring as hell =P)
    13) trouble with motor skills/coordination

I have all of these traits as an ambiverted NFP but I don't know if I'm an aspie or not. I'm certainly more like an aspie than a neurotypical SJ or SP.
    What you have just said is not a description of a disability, more like a description of a personality type. Asperger's is, above everything, a sensory processing disorder. Extreme aversions/sensitivities to certain textures/sounds are a major part of it. The majority of people do not have these things to an extent where it interferes with their life. Same thing with obsessive interests - these are usually also very extreme, to the point where it is difficult to discuss anything other than the obsessive interest. Everyone has autistic traits based on the description of the traits. Anyone can post on the Internet and say that they have this and that symptom. What matters, though, is the extent to which one has these symptoms. When you meet someone who actually has Asperger's in real life, you will immediately realize that there is something standoffish about them. Even those who have it mild have learning difficulties as well as difficulties holding a regular back-and-forth conversation. And the degree of each individual symptom varies from person to person. And by interfering with life, I mean that the afflicted individual would not be capable of doing something that is an essential task that everyone else is capable of performing.
    Feel free to dispute my type.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I never got an official diagnosis or anything but I can tell you that I had just about all the signs listed in the DSM criteria as a child.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Is it true that they're taking asperger's out of the DSM-V? I had heard this but people still seem to be using it pretty freely. When my son was diagnosed last year I seem to recall them saying something like "in years past we probably would have put him in the Asperger's category but they are phasing that out" or something. It is all kind of a blur at this point.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorS View Post
    If this Asperger's Syndrome message board I post at is representative of us "Aspies" as a whole the most common type is INTJ followed by INTP and ISTJ.

Jung Myers typology test poll - General Autism Discussion
    My son has Asperger's Syndrome and tested very definitely an ISFP. Mind you, he doesn't spend much time on forums - at 35 he indulges his passions of music and motorbikes by re-establishing the Perth chapter of the Moto Guzzi riders association and being a mentor to young people and hobby musicians through a successful Open-Mike muso's club in which he was a founding member.

He is perhaps one of the most compassionate people I know because of his experiences growing up with Asperger's and his type but still sees things as black and white rather than in shades of grey.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Is it true that they're taking asperger's out of the DSM-V? I had heard this but people still seem to be using it pretty freely. When my son was diagnosed last year I seem to recall them saying something like "in years past we probably would have put him in the Asperger's category but they are phasing that out" or something. It is all kind of a blur at this point.
    I've not heard this Ivy but my son was diagnosed in his 20's and I have only taught 2 people with Asperger's in the past 10 years so there may have been changes. I have heard Asperger's referred to in conversation recently as a broad spectrum Autism disorder or some such.

All I know is that Simon's diagnosis would have been better in his school years so he didn't have to go through the bullying he endured so I know what it is like as a parent of an Asperger's child .
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I am very concerned as my son enters "real" school this year about bullying and exclusion. He is a very unusual kid- extremely smart but not very accessible to his peers. He was in pre-K last year and many of the kids liked him, but were mystified by his repetitive behaviors and such. Fortunately he'll have someone visiting him in class daily to help facilitate his social skills.

I just wish everyone could see the boy that I see.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii