• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Asperger's Syndrome and MBTI type.

Researcher

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
bad
If you look back on our discussion, you will see that I never questioned what now in the above you pretend to be the whole of your argument. The point of contention is whether intending Ti inevitably shows Fe. You know, the big part of my last post you intentionally ignored. The wrong part.

I take it this retreat means you acknowledge your error.

I was a bit too quick maybe with my last reply.

But anyway, I can't go into what "saying hello" means obviously. (I am not going to guess the functions behind various situations, that is a derailment into an endless discussion.)

You did introduce something else were you say that you could not just misread Ti only as its polar opposite Fe, but also as all other functions (Te, Se). Well, with all the average confusion about the functions obviously. Thats just a practical problem anyway. Also another endless discussion.

I am just saying that in the ideal case were we would all be "ideal typologists, using the exact same map of functions, where we are not fighting about which function it is", then we still can't say 100% sure which side of the opposite the original intent was.

But you don't believe that anyway. Up to you what to believe.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
The point of contention is whether intending Ti inevitably shows Fe.

I didnt read the whole thing, but.. Ti and Fe are different sides of the same coin. I agree that when intending T, there is also a value judgment(F) taking place, even tho its most of the time unconscious. With careful observation(and maybe some knowledge about the person) you can deduce the value judgment that took place when the person decided to encage Ti. It works the same way with Te/Fi as well, Fi decides partly which Te data is worth using. More differentiated the Ti(or Te) is, less it unconsciously follows F.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
My mother tried to get me diagnosed with it once, but no that is one label I do not carry.

I could see it being tied to TJ. But I have known a few people with it, and I am not really sure if I would be able to determine a type for them. It seems all over the board. Traits could be associated with certain functions, but I am not sure if it really actually translates or just seems to.

hecait

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Yeah, I was diagnosed with Asperger's a while back. Many of the features resonate with me, but due to a lack of consensus among "professionals", I don't really take the label too seriously.

LovelySweet

MBTI Type
INFJ
I have interaction every day with two ESFJ Aspergers individuals. I think all types can equally have aspergers...but maybe certain types have more difficulty due to it accentuating aspergers traits.

LovelySweet

MBTI Type
INFJ
It's a bit hard to describe, but I'll try. The biggest thing that happens, is how persistent they can linger. Say for example, someone were to yell at me for something I did wrong. Like, suddenly out of the blue. I didn't see it coming. You know that initial "shock" feeling you get? That will keep firing, and firing, and firing over and over again. I have to strain to not bend over and hyperventilate from that going off excessively. It's almost like it's on a tape loop and I can't get out of it. It can last for a few seconds or minutes. The aftermath of it too will persist. Sometimes, I'll be unable to get past that physical sensation of the emotion. I'm really sensitive to failure and shame, and that's what triggers it most often.

If I fail something, that initial gut viceral feeling will hit me, and for most people it will fade (and sometimes it will fade "normally" for me too these excessive "firings" don't always happen). However, sometimes that physical feeling of the emotions will persist for hours with little fading. What makes it confusing, and sometimes worse than the initial start of it. I'll mentally work it out, and totally get it. I won't have any issues over it anymore. Yet, I'll still have that gut physical feeling of the emotion. I have no mental aspect of it anymore, but I still feel it. It's really confusing. I'll think to myself "I'm over it, why do I still feel this?! AHHH." and it can create its own stress from that alone. Because I no longer have any mental aspect of it, I can't get rid of the feeling anymore by using mental things. In effect, it will get "stuck". At worst this can last for days. It's not usually a strong physical sensation like initial shocks are, but it can keep going and going causing stress that I have no cognitive way to stop. Eventually it will go away on its own.

In essence, my emotions will over respond sometimes, or they will separate from the mental aspect of it and become nothing more than the bodily reaction to an emotion, which is just plain confusing and stressful.

Thank you for this description! I see this happening everyday with my ESFJ Aspergers family members (I have two)...and this makes complete sense! It's nice to have an explanation of how they may be feeling...

LovelySweet

MBTI Type
INFJ
Really weird kid but really cool. Do not ever argue with him, though. My god is it wearisome.

Absolutely. My advice when communicating with a person with aspergers... and you feel an argument brewing ...hold off for a few hours till everyone has a chance to figure out what they are trying to say. I know it sounds obvious for the nts...but especially important for aspergers.

Mademoiselle

noʎ ɟo ǝʇnɔ ʍoH
MBTI Type
-NTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Well, it's kinda inaccurate to say so.

Personality has types, MBTI is one if the systems to type NORMAL human personalities, including normal brains and normal mental health, which is all about the most common rates of many traits.

However, mental illnes has many types and obviously in Asperger's the patients (individuals with markable different rates of certain traits) are still able to perform enough tasks for some of their personality to be expressed, somehow.

This doesn't mean they have a personality type because we can't tell because they're not able to express it.. Because it's not working normally as it has to be.

Got little emotional up there, couldn't put it any better.

The point is we cannot type them. All we can say is that they perform closely to a certain MBTI type.
If you only know what I mean.

Otherwise it sounds like some fake commercial or misleading title.
This is offensive.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The concept of "ego-states" http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...nitive-functions/77084-ego-backbone-type.html makes this easier to explain. Asperger's is characterized by some behaviors that may be characterized by either S or N, and also, T, or Fi.
The whole "taking things too literally" get associated with S, but then, they are well known for their problems with stuff like sensory skills. They are said to have no empathy, so you wonder how they could be an F. Or some would say it's Fi, with Fe as "shadow". So you wonder how any F could be an Aspie.

But there is type, which is determined by how the functions figure in our ego-states, and then, there's all of these other factors, which may shape our use of general "sensation", intuition", "thinking" and "feeling", but these are not the special S, N, T or F that determine type.

AS is primarily a condition where the nervous system does not regulate itself well enough, so pain (both physical and emotional) "hurts" worse than it should. This may create ego-states that seem to push a person towards N and T, but other things could change that.
An S and/or F with the condition would still in the dominant and/or supporting states prefer perception of "what is" and judgments of "what's good" (and if a J, what's good according to an environmental standard, and if a P, what is, immediately in the environment). There would just be more frustration in the areas of social harmony or physical activity, but they would still be driven by their perspective to keep trying, and the S and/or F preference would most likely end up mitigating the condition. They would get a little better at those things than if they were an N and/or T, and probably find a niche where their preference could be put to as good a use as possible.