123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Default Functions explained in own words

So, it would be nice if the functions would be explained in own words.
    What is & how does it feel / how does it look for outsider?

Ne
    Ni

Se
    Si

Fe
    Fi

Te
    Ti

Example how I understand the following functions:

Ne: Connecting things, reading between lines, seeing pattern, seeing something that is not said & that it's not there (no real evidence). E.g. understanding what other people really means even if it is not said in loud.

Te: Organizing everything: things & people. Visible organizing and organizing things in head. Categorizing & labelling. E.g. organizing pencils on desk so they are in order longest first and the shortest last. Organizing people to complete a project.

MBTI
    INTJ

I think Ni by far is the most difficult function to understand, while all the others are easier to get a grip on. My shot at explaining Ni though:

Ni: This function speaks a highly individual language, whose insights of the universal nature of things or the future are almost impossible to translate.

Ti: The voice of clarity!

Fe: Kindness.

MBTI
    INFJ

My always-incomplete and most probably rather inaccurate comments on each pair of functions, in the order I "know" them from best to worst.

Ne/Ni:

Ne: what *could* this mean? How many different ways of looking at it can I find? How many different meanings can I imagine for it? Expansive: starts with one word/fact/idea, and builds entire hypothetical worlds upon it.

Ni: what *does* this mean? How can I organise all those disparate facts/ideas into a single coherent ensemble? Structuring: starts with many words/ideas/facts and aims at building a single structure that will incorporate them all.

Fe/Fi:

Fe: what do *you* feel? Tell me what you're feeling and I'll feel it too. How can I make you feel something in particular? What effect do I have on you? Works from outside-in, other-centered.

Fi: what do *I* feel? I can feel what you're feeling without you telling me. What do you make me feel like? What effect do you have on me? Words from inside-out, self-centered (<= technical term, not judgement)

Te/Ti:

Te: how can I organise things?

Ti: what is the natural order of things?

Se/Si:

Se: how is the world interacting with my senses?

Si: how is my body interacting with my senses?

MBTI
    INTJ

Great post Wandering, truly one of the best I have read in a while, a revelation, so thanks. I was thinking some about your Ni definition, and in a way it also explains why the results of Ni are so hard to explain to others. Ni is synthesising views, you might take a bit from different perspectives, and it is no wonder that is both hard to explain to others and hard for others to understand. Ni views always seem to come with a twist, and are rarely exactly like more common perspectives, although they might be mistaken for being exactly one of those common perspectives by the listener, which leads to misunderstandings and frustration.

MBTI
    INFJ

MBTI
    INTJ

I found a great article on Ni. Let me see if I can find it in my bookmarks.

Found it. It explains the difference between Ne and Ni. Since they're so difficult to understand and relate to, a full explanation with examples can be helpful.

Intuition

MBTI
    INFJ

You're cheating, Momma The OP was asking for you to explain the functions *in your own words*

Unless of course you're discreetly trying to tell us something about you being Lenore Thomson or something ?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
    You're cheating, Momma The OP was asking for you to explain the functions *in your own words*

Unless of course you're discreetly trying to tell us something about you being Lenore Thomson or something ?
    Well, no. I'm just learning myself, so I can't describe it very well yet.

Is her explanation for NI and Ne the opposite of what you said?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Well, no. I'm just learning myself, so I can't describe it very well yet.

Is her explanation for NI and Ne the opposite of what you said?
    I think maybe so. I have read tons on the site you linked to, but it's so hard to find an essence in what's being said. Things seem to contradict each other, and I always seem to end up confused. But isn't it logical Ne is more open-ended than Ni? People with dominant or secondary Ne are Ps, people with dominant or secondary Ni are Js.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    I think maybe so. I have read tons on the site you linked to, but it's so hard to find an essence in what's being said. Things seem to contradict each other, and I always seem to end up confused. But isn't it logical Ne is more open-ended than Ni? People with dominant or secondary Ne are Ps, people with dominant or secondary Ni are Js.
    You could be right. It makes logical sense to me.

Although I have read that INTPs are thought of as more stubborn than INTJs. Less willing to change their mind? Too entrenched in their own theories?