• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Intuitive Absent-Mindedness

E

Epiphany

What are some examples of things you've done or haven't done while your mind was elsewhere?

- Today I was trying to check the balance on my credit card and instead of dialing the 1-800 number on the back, I picked up the phone and dialed my credit card number.

- I remember a couple of years ago, I prepaid for gas then got back into my truck and left. About four blocks down the road I noticed that my gas tank was still empty.

I'm sure there are a lot more that aren't coming to me right now.

Share your stories.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
:laugh:

going upstairs to get my cell phone, bringing my cell into my room while i grab a necklace, getting distracted by my necklaces and 5 other things, leaving the cell on the desk, and only realizing that once i'm downstairs.

this is why living in a dorm room is so much easier for me than living in a huge house.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
this is why living in a dorm room is so much easier for me than living in a huge house.

++ Not a dorm room here, but a studio apartment. I cannot live in a house again. The convenience of not losing things...

Threads like this always make me wonder if I've mistyped myself. Again.

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I was at ArtScape in Baltimore a couple weeks ago, and I walked off without paying for my dinner. I didn't notice until I was halfway through eating ten minutes later. Oh well.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've done all of the above.

To that I'd add:

Accidentally threw my purse in the garbage. The purse was in one hand, and the trash in the other.

Put my keys in the fridge. Literally.

Unlocked my apartment door, and forgotten to take the keys out of the keyhole. Many times.

Left my purse behind at public places. Many times.

Eaten at one of those Chinese buffet places where you pay at the cash register when you're done eating and forgot to pay.

Gone to the store and filled my cart ready to pay and realized I forgot my wallet at home. A few times.

Packed my lunch for work so I didn't have to eat out but ended up having to eat out anyway because I forgot to put my food in the fridge. Multiple times.

Yeah, I can be incredibly absent-minded at times.

Vamp

MBTI Type
ENFP
I used to be really absent minded as a small child. I lost so many pairs of glasses by throwing them in the trash with my lunch tray. I've thrown house keys and cell phones in the trash too. I've wondered in and out of so many classrooms. I forget what floor my doctor is on constantly, despite refreshing myself minutes before.

For the last couple of years I've been losing things in my very small room. So don't think a small space will keep you safe from the inexplicable black abyss that randomly opens up and swallows your backpack or a whole uneaten sandwich. Or a blow dryer.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Purses and glasses in the trash? Damn, it's time to go dumpster diving... where do all the N's live??

As for me, let's see...

* Last week I put a textbook in the freezer...I thought it was the TV dinner I'd bought.

* Accidentally threw a pen at a stranger on the train...I thought my friend was sitting behind me, who had lent me the pen and I flung it backwards automatically and heard an older man gasp "jesus christ!"

* Forgot to change my boss's cc information when he travelled, and he ended up with a denied card. scheisse!!

* Nearly broke into someone else's truck because I thought it was mine. The key wasn't unlocking the door and I was shaking the shit out of the door handle. Eventually, some dog inside the car starts barking viciously and scared the shit out of me. It was a BIG dog.

* Attempted to upload a homework assignment online for school and accidentally uploaded the wrong file...a thing I typed up about my idea of installing toilets in car seats...flip the seat up and take a shit on road trips. No need for rest stops during road trips. Well, I couldn't delete it once I realize what I'd done, so of course the Professor read it and actually emailed me personally and said he'd buy something like that. :thelook:

* Answered the phone, thinking it was my friend I'd just gotten disconnected with. I answered the phone and said jokingly, "You moronic little cockcruncher. What's wrong with your phone?" It was the CFO of the company I worked at.

* In Philosophy class, I was focused intently, and I subconsciously noticed french fries on the desk next to me. I always eat fries, so I mindlessly grabbed fries out the bag and munched as I listened. Only after helping myself several times did I realize I was eating a stranger classmate's food. :doh: I was so embarrassed, I gave her $2.

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I habitually check to see if I have actually entered the Men's Bathroom nowadays, after a few unfortunate mishaps.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I habitually check to see if I have actually entered the Men's Bathroom nowadays, after a few unfortunate mishaps.

Oh yeah, I do that all the time. And I don't even care. A piss pot is a piss pot. I don't see any pink or blue ribbons on the flush handle.

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Oh yeah, I do that all the time. And I don't even care. A piss pot is a piss pot. I don't see any pink or blue ribbons on the flush handle.

That's a bit different, because I know for a fact that exactly zero percent of guys give a shit if a girl walks into the men's bathroom.

MBTI Type
ESFJ
1. I spaced out during a transaction and did not give the customer her change.
2. I once walked out in front of a train, but someone pulled me back before it could hit me.

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Ah yes...

One day near Halloween fall semester last year, I went to a costume party dressed up as a member of KISS. (Vinnie Vincent if you were curious) After I came back, I got in the shower to wash off the face paint in my dorm's public bathroom. After about five minutes, I decided to check if all my face paint was gone, so I exited the stall with a towel wrapped around my waist and went to the sink beside the open bathroom door to look in the mirror. I saw that I still had some spots of paint here and there, so I scrubbed my face with the towel for a few minutes...and then realized that I had no other clothes on.

InTheFlesh

Enneagram
CFV
1.I always type the same sentence twice, forgetting I already wrote it once.

2.When reading, I have a tendency to read through a few paragraphs and then realize "I have no idea what I just read". It's pretty funny when you think about it though=P

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In my case, it's remembering what someone's phone number, or a factual timeline of information that ends up getting jumbled, that I get absent minded. I don't have a good brain for remembering itty-bitty details, and intuition fills in the gaps... trouble is, sometimes I am incorrect in my predictions. It's like when I was taking a test, I remember learning about the man who invented the printing press, and it took me ages to retrieve the information, and I got the wrong guy! It was Gutenberg... and I chose some other German sounding name. Way to go with failure to encode!