• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Share your function order

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
I don't know what to make of functions.

Mine make no sense

Fi-43
Ni-35
Ne-34
Se-34
Fe-34
Te-31
Ti-27
Si-26

I would just call myself INTP. If I was to look at it without a test, and without watching the type descriptions. I'm pretty much fifty fifty on the think feel department, and it gets me in trouble. I dwell on the past and recent events that affects my feelings. And I'm asocial.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think my order is something like:

Ti
Ne
Fi/Si
Te/Ni
Fe
Se

Which I know is contrary to theory somewhat.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ni > Fi = Ti > Ne > Si

Where:

Ni 25
Fi 22
Ti 22
Ne 20
Si 15
Te 13
Fe 13
Se 10

The order has been constant in my results on the functions tests with variations of the 4th function.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Typically on tests, I get...

sensing functions > feeling functions > thinking functions = intuitive functions

But I have no idea the real order of my functions... though I do suspect ISFJ...

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Seriously, you guys are all cheaters :D

Either you parttake and do the typing or don't bother :alttongue:

I meant for everyone to actually think things through, read the text that skylights posted and figure out which function fulfill which position for you on that.

The reason I finally switched back to ENFP is *becoz* Ne IS the function that bails me out of tough spots, not Fi. And because the rest of it also matched up again. For instance, my Se is stronger than my Ti, yet in last position. But looking at the description of the last and second to last position it makes perfect sense to me. It's not about which functions test stronger, it's about which role they play in who you are. Regardless of that, you can be good or bad at that role depending on how strongly developed that function is, I'd say.

Also, if you go through that thoughtprocess and type it down here, we could see how each type experiences each function in a particular role, highlighting the different aspects of each function and how that function is applied/experienced.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ti is my dominant function. It is what I use to solve problems. It doesnt think outside the box, nor does it create. It does logical analysis. It deems what makes logical sense and what doesnt. It is my bread and butter. Its what I argue with, when I crank it up I can and will thouroughly frustrate people. Aside from what most think about "logic" and right. When I crank it up I will create logical loops where the end leads back to the begining. These create "apparent" closed logical systems.

Se is my auxilary function. Its my busy body mode, my "do" mode. It makes no decisions, it doesnt dig deep. It just does. I use this when playing games as I dont analyse, I have no aim. I just do. There is not always a rhyme or reason. It says just keep pushing forward keep moving. I basically just respond to whats around me with very shallow reasons and understanding. Its my driving, its my jet skiing. There are no paths, I just respond. When in this mode I can stumble gracefully like a drunk, running down a rocky hill fast my wife said it looked like I was dancing with the rocks. I need no music, I need nothing but movement to respond to. It has no path, it has no judgement, it is shallow, it is relaxing though it may be physically exhausting. I use this when I help people, its my actions and I my physical limits are the only thing that keep me from going forever.

This is my Ni. It is like my trickster, my joking, my creativity. I take concepts and play with them, joke with them. This is one function that I connect with my wife as I will start laughing at something and my wife knows exactly where I went with it. Its like Se, but in my head. Its mentally shifting and dancing with concepts, jumping from one to the other. Give me a dirty joke book and get my mind in this process and I become very childish mentally shifting everything over. I can do this people as well once I get to know them and find out what they think is funny. Sometimes the things work other times they dont. Its very intuitive, very instantaneous.

Te drives me nuts. Its a huge struggle for me internally. Its boring, its unmotivational, its confining, but I can see the value. I can see why we need this external organization and it frustrates me to no end. Its rules, schedules, organization and its forced upon people by the mere fact that its "common". Its based on majority and its logical. It goes against those who want to expand past "common", its a constant fight for me. Its one sided, but I can see that side, I can see the reasoning. Its something I apply to myself as a limit and it drives me nuts for others to force these limits upon me as I hate that I cannot get past the logical reasoning myself. My dad recently said I was funny because he finally could see my internal struggle with Te as I explained the Te side to someone else. I understand its logic, I understand its purpose, its reasoning, but I hate how its confining, restrictive, and feels controlling because I cant get past it logically.

This is "the" detail. It truly comes across as magical and profound. It can demobilize and demoralize others. I am learning how to use this outside of stress and to access the "magical" qualities. Its focus.

Ne. This is my what-if, its part of my processing of "what if this happened". Its like an internal gateway to what hasnt or didnt happen. I dont trust it and I dont really deem it worthy of attention because I truly dont know "if it is" or "if it was". I can then laugh and joke about what goes through my mind as I move past these.

Fi. I struggle with this function at times. When it gets triggered I fight my hardest to control it. The hardest time I have controling it is when I feel like I am being controlled through Te. My wife knows this within me, she doesnt fear me, but she fears my actions when I hit this devilish role. I dont know yet how to make lemonade out of this sourness. It just erupts uncontrolled. Stay back, I will look for some where to explode away from people, I will push myself further and harder then I ever have. Its an adrenaline rush that erupts into Se. Were talking 360s at 50-60 MPH on my jet ski, killing the engine because so much water gets forced backwards through the jet while I am at full throttle. Fear disappears, the only thing I account for is the safety of others, not myself.

edit: forgot Fe, working on it

See, now you're one of the good boys :hug:

I quoted you coz it's interesting to see how you experience Fi in the way I experience Se :D

Do you find that when you're around an Fi-user, you feel less stressed to control it? I find that when I'm around an Se-user, I'll feel less anxious coz I *know* they can help me channel that energy, and they can take an accidental blow I deal (quite literally then :D). It's so easy for them, it makes me envious, at the same time, it makes me relax, as it means I get to enjoy it for once without having to think and be scared things will go wrong as they're better at gauging what is actually smart to do and what isn't. It's also awesome to hand over control to them at that point, and watch them weave their magic, like watching an awesome show, and even being part of it without it costing you any effort. You almost become part of their movements :)

Jaguar

Lol, the problem is that when it's broken down into all these subcategories with evocative, image-rich names like "critical parent", it's easy and tempting for people to want to reason from these categories and try to filter experiential reality through them. Do you see what I'm saying now?

I envision someone trying to jam their foot into a shoe that is 3 sizes too small while shouting, "Fit, fit, fit!" :wink:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
See, now you're one of the good boys :hug:

I quoted you coz it's interesting to see how you experience Fi in the way I experience Se :D

Do you find that when you're around an Fi-user, you feel less stressed to control it? I find that when I'm around an Se-user, I'll feel less anxious coz I *know* they can help me channel that energy, and they can take an accidental blow I deal (quite literally then :D). It's so easy for them, it makes me envious, at the same time, it makes me relax, as it means I get to enjoy it for once without having to think and be scared things will go wrong as they're better at gauging what is actually smart to do and what isn't. It's also awesome to hand over control to them at that point, and watch them weave their magic, like watching an awesome show, and even being part of it without it costing you any effort. You almost become part of their movements :)

I do feel less stressed around Fi users and find they can take accidental blows. I havnt noticed any effort which seems strange to me. Makes me wonder whats going on internally. How it works:doh:

Jaguar

Type is not set in concrete as you seem to believe.

In dealing with people, when we keep their type in mind, we are respecting not only their abstract right to develop along lines of their own choosing but also the importance of qualities they have developed by making that choice. For example, if, for whatever reason, they have not exercised one or more of their preferences, they may not have developed a type, or at least a type that they can report clearly. Not everyone is a type.

Do you know how many times I have brought this up, and rather than people realize it's true, they accuse others of thinking they are special "snowflakes."
It has nothing to do with being a snowflake. It has to do with people simply not being an MBTI type. Why people have such a problem understanding that, boggles the mind.

Thanks for posting that excerpt, of the manual.

G

Ginkgo

I do feel less stressed around Fi users and find they can take accidental blows. I havnt noticed any effort which seems strange to me. Makes me wonder whats going on internally. How it works:doh:

For me, Fi works as an idealizing function. I often determine what worth something has and maintain that opinion until that external thing changes. It is very potent for me, though most people do not notice my feelings simply because my expressions rarely reflect what I am feeling internally. This can sometimes result in social complications where people think I am unhurt when I really am, or when I feel strongly about something and no one was aware. Sometimes my subjective interpretation of someone's tone or statement can give me an emotionally skewed (either positive or negative) view on things. Ti, for instance, is involved with linear analysis and sometimes it can be unsettling if a Ti oriented person hones in on the inconsistencies of our discussions rather than absorbing the "theme" or "purpose". I will often attempt to convey my ideas in an analogous way so that people can see focal similarities between one object and another. When this sort of thinking is dissected down to the bone instead of valued or at least understood, it bothers the shit out of me. However, I do see the value in clear communication and argumentation, and so Ti isn't as much of a "Devil" or antagonist for me as much as it is a counterpoint which should be learned from.

More on my own experience of function order a little bit later.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ne = Fi = Te > Si > Ti > Se > Ni > Fe

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
very interesting read satine...thanks for writing all that out. i've actually never read about all that but wow...it all makes so much sense...and i relate a whole lot to the way you described it.

and funny...i realized that i feel soothed when i'm streamlining an idea...like writing a business plan...it feels good to control/give structure to the ne...or something...that must be one way i see te in myself...that would be te...wouldn't it?

G

Ginkgo

Alright, well I think that function order is a controversial topic. There are many theories thrown about, most predominantly the standard theory which is the basis of MBTI. Function preference for people other than yourself cannot be empirically tested. Neither can type. However, one can learn about the functions and determine what resonates with them, and even express how those functions resonate according to definition and recognition of them. This is what I am going to do because I have nothing better to do at the moment. :D

Introverted Feeling: I find this function to manifest itself in either accepting or rejecting of things according to what I'm feeling at the moment. It's difficult for me to even describe this function as I see it, and no anecdote could really do it justice. When my friend asks me to see a movie, I determine whether I want to go based on whether I feel compelled to or not. What reasons should I feel compelled? What reasons should I deject it? If I don't have the desire, then I likely won't go unless I appeal to my other functions. This can give people the impression that I am flaky or flighty, or that I have no sense of order or direction. However, my direction is simply undisclosed and it takes the form of emotion. Introverted Feeling.

Extraverted Intuition: This is the function that I do see as a "parent" or facilitator. It's not something I use in relation to myself as much as I use it to connect with others or envision change in a very broad, sweeping sense. Unlike introverted intuition, I rarely change my own vision in a sweeping way. When Fi bleeds into Ne, I can have the appearance of influencing the environment in ways that I feel comfortable with. Sometimes it can be by disrupting the flow of events to create a snow ball effect. Usually, I must do this in the first stages of an event to have the greatest impact. You have to plant the seed of an idea swiftly so it grows and culminates into the crux or theme of a larger picture. Otherwise, your voice will be drowned out in a sea of "what has been". I can generally see the future in front of me and I can make general plans about what I'll have to do. I am a minimalist who slides by instead of hammering down every detail along the path.

Introverted Sensing : This function isn't just about mere sense impression. It's also about deriving meaning and significance from the sense for me, personally. My past is something that doesn't apply to all people, and it affects me profoundly. I can either let it encumber me or aid me. If I use it correctly, it can keep me grounded and focused on a single thing instead of floating everywhere as my intuition would have me do. Sometimes I can counsel the past or attempt to undo what has already been done when this function blends into my intuition. This can give people the impression that I am a perfectionist about my projects, never actually drawing closure to them but instead lingering.

Extraverted Thinking : This function is badass. Probably what motivates me to be active regardless of what I feel, but instead about what would be most efficient. In its more passive form, it allows me to make logical distinctions, pry ideas apart or look for gaps in reasoning. It's very linear and systematic. I'm honestly not sure whether this is my Te talking or Ti. At its worst, it can mesh with my introverted feeling, turning what should be impersonal action into a personal vendetta for order and accountability.

Extraverted Feeling : I am so oblivious to this function that it's hysterical. Earlier, someone made a thread about Fe and "beauty". How, according to Jung, external objects are somehow "enchanted" by some impression of a collective feeling organism. The fact is that, when I am giving my opinion, it is either in accordance with that I actually think or in accordance with a reasoned approach (thinking). I pander to an individual and attempt to access his/her own preferences and desires, not a collective. I have no moral agency against the collective, it's just simply not how I operate as far as feeling. Even if I try to convey how this function is like for me, I doubt it will be true to form. It would probably be a bastardization or a fusion of other functions trying to pass themselves off as Fe.

Introverted Intuition : I've experienced intense introverted intuition only a few times in my life, but every time was unnerving. My normal mode of thinking is likened to being on one side of a gulch with a shattered, asymmetrical bridge linking my side to the side in front of me. When Ni hits, it's like all of those pieces suddenly came together, formed a symmetrical bridge, and provided me with the exact perspective another person would have if they were on the other side. Normally I would simply try to fix the bridge. Ni would simply have me look at it differently through a lens that would appeal to universal principles of perspective.

Extraverted Sensing : I am so premeditative that it's difficult to get "in the moment" of sense impression for very long. For instance, I may hear my air conditioning right now, but instead of focusing on it, my mind meanders or withdraws back into reflection again. Occasionally, when I'm doing something consistent like driving or listening to music, or even meditation, I will harken to what I might call extraverted sensing. I might do things instinctively while in this mode, but my mind is so devoid of pure, primal instinct that it's kind of sad. Lol.

Introverted Thinking : This function is just as equal in badassiosness as its extraverted counterpart, though it scarcely looks so. When I am searching for the right words to use, or the correct structure of an idea to convey, introverted thinking is where "it's" at. It most often takes the form of searching for grammatical or dialectical consistency. It gives me a sense of security knowing that my ideas are crystal clear. However, with this clarity comes a sort of removal from my person and others. This gives me an untold potential to piss people off while still being politically correct. I have to say that my own Ti is not purely introverted. Everything I know comes from an outside source, not an innate sense of logic; though I can reason that information out in spite of its influence.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ESTP

Dominant: Extraverted Sensing (Se)
Se focuses on the experiences and sensations of the immediate, physical world. With an acute awareness of the present surroundings, it brings relevant facts and details to the forefront and may lead to spontaneous action.[14]

Auxiliary: Introverted Thinking (Ti)
Ti seeks precision, such as the exact word to express an idea. It notices the minute distinctions that define the essence of things, then analyzes and classifies them. Ti examines all sides of an issue, looking to solve problems while minimizing effort and risk. It uses models to root out logical inconsistency.[15]

Tertiary: Extraverted Feeling (Fe)
Fe seeks social connections and creates harmonious interactions through polite, considerate, and appropriate behavior. Fe responds to the explicit (and implicit) wants of others, and may even create an internal conflict between the subject’s own needs and the desire to meet the needs of others.[16]

Inferior: Introverted Intuition (Ni)
Attracted to symbolic actions or devices, Ni synthesizes seeming paradoxes to create the previously unimagined. These realizations come with a certainty that demands action to fulfill a new vision of the future, solutions that may include complex systems or universal truths.[17]

[edit] Shadow functions
Later personality researchers (notably Linda V. Berens)[18] added four additional functions to the descending hierarchy, the so-called "shadow" functions to which the individual is not naturally inclined but which can emerge when the person is under stress. For ESTP, these shadow functions are (in order):

Introverted Sensing (Si):
Si collects data in the present moment and compares it with past experiences, a process that sometimes evokes the feelings associated with memory, as if the subject were reliving it. Seeking to protect what is familiar, Si draws upon history to form goals and expectations about what will happen in the future.[19]

Extraverted Thinking (Te):
Te organizes and schedules ideas and the environment to ensure the efficient, productive pursuit of objectives. Te seeks logical explanations for actions, events, and conclusions, looking for faulty reasoning and lapses in sequence.[20]

Introverted Feeling (Fi):
Fi filters information based on interpretations of worth, forming judgments according to criteria that are often intangible. Fi constantly balances an internal set of values such as harmony and authenticity. Attuned to subtle distinctions, Fi innately senses what is true and what is false in a situation.[21]

Extraverted Intuition (Ne):
Ne finds and interprets hidden meanings, using “what if” questions to explore alternatives, allowing multiple possibilities to coexist. This imaginative play weaves together insights and experiences from various sources to form a new whole, which can then become a catalyst to action.[22]

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For me, Fi works as an idealizing function. I often determine what worth something has and maintain that opinion until that external thing changes. It is very potent for me, though most people do not notice my feelings simply because my expressions rarely reflect what I am feeling internally. This can sometimes result in social complications where people think I am unhurt when I really am, or when I feel strongly about something and no one was aware. Sometimes my subjective interpretation of someone's tone or statement can give me an emotionally skewed (either positive or negative) view on things. Ti, for instance, is involved with linear analysis and sometimes it can be unsettling if a Ti oriented person hones in on the inconsistencies of our discussions rather than absorbing the "theme" or "purpose". I will often attempt to convey my ideas in an analogous way so that people can see focal similarities between one object and another. When this sort of thinking is dissected down to the bone instead of valued or at least understood, it bothers the shit out of me. However, I do see the value in clear communication and argumentation, and so Ti isn't as much of a "Devil" or antagonist for me as much as it is a counterpoint which should be learned from.

More on my own experience of function order a little bit later.

I am actually identical with my logic. People dont normally have a clue that I logically judge things and generally I hold it in as well until something changes. I tend to more play with "what people(people in general) think" instead of openly being logical. Usually I respond in like kind to tone out of instinct. This part you explained about Fi is what makes Fi comfortable for me, especially the worth part. Fi is not forceful worth, just an internal judgement or biased. I like the distinction of worth better then values, it matches better with what I see.

99% of the time I notice the inconsistancy of Fi, but I pick and choose what to say. If I do say something I just want to understand why they are inconsistant, more like validating what I think and seeing if I was right or wrong. I may dissect down to the point of understanding.

Jaguar

I am actually identical with my logic. People dont normally have a clue that I logically judge things and generally I hold it in as well until something changes. I tend to more play with "what people(people in general) think" instead of openly being logical. Usually I respond in like kind to tone out of instinct. This part you explained about Fi is what makes Fi comfortable for me, especially the worth part. Fi is not forceful worth, just an internal judgement or biased. I like the distinction of worth better then values, it matches better with what I see.

99% of the time I notice the inconsistancy of Fi, but I pick and choose what to say. If I do say something I just want to understand why they are inconsistant, more like validating what I think and seeing if I was right or wrong. I may dissect down to the point of understanding.

I constantly evaluate worth. Someone wanted my opinion on a situation and I asked, " What's it worth to you?" In other words, how far are you willing to go? Do you really want to "stand up" for this? How steep a price are you willing to pay, and I'm not talking money.

None of that is "logic." Christ, if used nothing but "logic" I'd be collecting welfare checks and eating out of trash cans.
That's the problem with MBTI. It creates the illusion of one-sided personalities that don't even exist.

G

Ginkgo

I think the distinction between worth and values needs to be made.

While they are in some respects synonymous, values are also defined as morals, like "family values".

Morals aren't what feeling functions essentially are.

There's an anachronism there.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I constantly evaluate worth. Someone wanted my opinion on a situation and I asked, " What's it worth to you?" In other words, how far are you willing to go? Do you really want to "stand up" for this? How steep a price are you willing to pay, and I'm not talking money.

None of that is "logic." Christ, if used nothing but "logic" I'd be collecting welfare checks and eating out of trash cans.
That's the problem with MBTI. It creates the illusion of one-sided personalities that don't even exist.

I dont pay any attention to worth. Doesnt mean I dont do it, but its not a focus of mine.

So do you test people just to see how far they are gonna go and what something is worth to em or do you use your judgement of worth and compare it to theirs to know when to stop?

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
This is how I test....
Fi>Ne=Ni>Te=Ti>Si>Se>Fe

These results apparently correspond to INFP, but I am not sure I agree with certain cognitive process orders corresponding necessarily to MBTI types. There's no way I'm a P. :D

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I usually get this:
Ni> Fi=Te=Fe> Ti > Ne> Si> Se